Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-15-2011, 06:01 PM   #61
JohnMorris
Enthusiast
JohnMorris can read ebooks with the screen turned offJohnMorris can read ebooks with the screen turned offJohnMorris can read ebooks with the screen turned offJohnMorris can read ebooks with the screen turned offJohnMorris can read ebooks with the screen turned offJohnMorris can read ebooks with the screen turned offJohnMorris can read ebooks with the screen turned offJohnMorris can read ebooks with the screen turned offJohnMorris can read ebooks with the screen turned offJohnMorris can read ebooks with the screen turned offJohnMorris can read ebooks with the screen turned off

Device: PRS650, Kobo touch, PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDK View Post
Kobo Touch Firmware 1.9.6 and desktop 2.0.3 have been released.
Just a few days ago in the firmware feature request thread I asked for the ability to turn off margin page numbers.

Last night my Kobo updated itself over WiFi and hey presto! An option to do just that has appeared.

I'm impressed - Kobo is well on the way to becoming my preferred ereader (versus the Sony 650).

Keep it up - this level of commitment to continuous improvement is great to see.
JohnMorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 08:28 PM   #62
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
John--it may not actually have been your request that triggered this .
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:12 PM   #63
johnwhelan
Zealot
johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Cybook Gen 3, Google Nexus7
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Well, if you don't want to download the kepub books, take everything out of "I'm Reading" on the kobobooks.com website and then connect by WiFi or over USB with the desktop. Actually, if you use the USB-desktop combo, you can just keep clicking "skip" when it tries to load kepubs onto your reader.
Thank you, that seemed to work but I note that the software installs itself to C:, great if you have a 500 Gig C: drive not so good if you have a 40 gig SSD and space is getting tight.

Perhaps one day they'll allow people to install on something other than C:

Cheerio John
johnwhelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 11:43 PM   #64
IamARobot
Enthusiast
IamARobot has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.IamARobot has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.IamARobot has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
Interesting. But the result is a functional unit yes? I wonder if this is something others are having issues with.

glad it is working for you.

jack
Yes the unit is functional. Kobo Desktop was able to update the firmware and I was able to load books with Calibre.

I only had the idea to uninstall the drivers due to having Explorer open as I uninstalled. The minute the USB components were removed Win7 showed the Kobo as two drives immediately.
IamARobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 06:19 AM   #65
MechR
Connoisseur
MechR began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
Its like an etch a sketch for kids. Basically you take a finger or stylus (some of us have stylus bought for the touch use) and you can create works of Kobo art, or in my case very bad stick figures. You can then save your creations for download to the computer or to view on your your device later.
That sounds great Makes me want a Kobo Touch even more.

Thanks to all the Kobo devs! The rate of firmware updates and feature additions is amazing
MechR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 09:53 AM   #66
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Something that Kobo didn't really explain in the "new features" that lots of people have probably missed: if you go into the menu in a book you can select dictionary and type in any word you want to look it up (i.e. you're not limited to picking a word in a book to look it up -- there is now a freeform dictionary). I know that's a feature that some people were lamenting didn't exist.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 09:58 AM   #67
portablejim
Enthusiast
portablejim has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo Touch Black
I was able to update (from 1.9.5) manually from GNU/Linux (Ubuntu). Simply unzip the update file (posted earlier) to the .kobo directory. There should be a KoboRoot.tgz file and upgrade folder. Once there, unmount and unplug the kobo. It will upgrade itself.

Note: You may be able to get by with just the tgz file, but the uprgade folder might be needed for changes that have taken place in the update. Manual updates (i.e. hacking the software) probably just need the KoboRoot.tgz file. (This is probably duplicating some of the info available at Beware of Soapy frogs)
portablejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 10:24 AM   #68
Joywalker
Enthusiast
Joywalker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Joywalker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Joywalker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Joywalker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
or in my case very bad stick figures. You can then save your creations for download to the computer or to view on your your device later.
I'm curious: how/where do you get to the picture you drew?
Joywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 10:49 AM   #69
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
The sketch masterpieces show up as books in your library. Mine are awful, glad I could delete them.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 12:46 PM   #70
joshmosh
Enthusiast
joshmosh began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
Good updates, thanks to the Kobo devs for listening. Just a few issues I can find...I am still having issues with links/endnotes. They just are too finicky. Sometimes they work first try, sometimes it takes 10-20 tries before it will work and usually I just give up! Instead of working it flips pages or brings up the centre menu.

Also, this may be a Calibre issue but most of my sideloaded books still don't respond to the margin setting which is annoying because the margins as of now are non-existent.

Other than those couple things I really like the way things are shaping up, especially with the dictionary option!
joshmosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 12:56 PM   #71
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshmosh View Post
Good updates, thanks to the Kobo devs for listening. Just a few issues I can find...I am still having issues with links/endnotes. They just are too finicky. Sometimes they work first try, sometimes it takes 10-20 tries before it will work and usually I just give up! Instead of working it flips pages or brings up the centre menu.

Also, this may be a Calibre issue but most of my sideloaded books still don't respond to the margin setting which is annoying because the margins as of now are non-existent.

Other than those couple things I really like the way things are shaping up, especially with the dictionary option!
If these are calibre loaded books, why not just use calibre to add a margin? (Convert epub to ebub, but add margins in the "Page Setup" tab)
rashkae is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 01:33 PM   #72
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
I am very pleased with how they've been supportive of this reader. I wasn't all that impressed with Kobo before but I think they've come a long way.
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 01:46 PM   #73
Nigol
Groupie
Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshmosh View Post
Or you can just edit the CSS file and remove the 2 lines margins-right & left in the calibre subsection and margins will work in the reader. I have already posted about that in the 1.9.5 thread and even sent sample to the dev in the beta group. I think it is a issue with the Adobe SDK and might just be fixed in the future. But that means that all of the book converted with calibre will have the same problem.
Nigol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 02:15 PM   #74
joshmosh
Enthusiast
joshmosh began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
Good suggestion, but it would be nice for it to be synced in such a way as to allow me to do this on the Kobo.

Nigol, how would I go about editing the CSS file? I can't quite figure it out. Thanks!
joshmosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 02:30 PM   #75
JohnMorris
Enthusiast
JohnMorris can read ebooks with the screen turned offJohnMorris can read ebooks with the screen turned offJohnMorris can read ebooks with the screen turned offJohnMorris can read ebooks with the screen turned offJohnMorris can read ebooks with the screen turned offJohnMorris can read ebooks with the screen turned offJohnMorris can read ebooks with the screen turned offJohnMorris can read ebooks with the screen turned offJohnMorris can read ebooks with the screen turned offJohnMorris can read ebooks with the screen turned offJohnMorris can read ebooks with the screen turned off

Device: PRS650, Kobo touch, PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
John--it may not actually have been your request that triggered this .
Hey - don't shatter my happy delusions
JohnMorris is offline   Reply With Quote