Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-13-2012, 02:36 PM   #31
Michael81
Michael81 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
If you are already using a lot of Amazon services and don't care about having any genuine control of the device, the Fire may well be a good fit for you. Enjoy your 'ecosystem.' Personally, I think you're paying for the privilege of buying, a business model in which I prefer not to participate.
Maybe you're right. But at the very end, every device nowadays tends to build some recognizable ecosystem around self. It could be pure marketing.
Michael81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:11 PM   #32
cHex
Zealot
cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (K3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shack70 View Post
Anyone have an opinion?
Are you kidding? This is Opinion Central.

I'd recommend the Kindle. It's just the basics for consuming media at a rock-bottom price (until prices are slashed again). I used Amazon for purchasing pbooks, music, and video before I got my Kindle, and see no reason why I can't continue to find the vast majority of media I want via Amazon.

You make a good point, though, regarding specs. The Nook is a better tablet than the Kindle. I would counter that by the same token there are plenty of better tablets than the Nook. At the pinnacle of the tablet scale (though finally with some worthy competition) is the iPad2; or if you like the smaller format, consider what's coming Real Soon Now (tm) from Asus. With an Android tablet you can install apps for consuming media from Amazon, B&N, Apple, Netflix, whatever.

My opinion (since you asked for it) is that the tablet market is in its infancy, a period of rapid technological advance, innovation, shake-out, and dropping prices. I'm no prophet, but I guarantee you there will be tablet computers out there a year from now you'll want to have more than the Kindle or iPad (they may even be the Kindle Inferno or iPad3). So...I say go cheap, because you'll end up buying something better for less money later. And right now, Kindle is cheap.
cHex is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2012, 11:13 AM   #33
Xspider
Xspider began at the beginning.

Device: none
Biggest difference is the lack of an SD slot in the Fire. Without a WiFi connection, you're limited to whatever you've got on the device itself in both cases -- problem is, the Fire is limited to 8GB onboard with no SD card. The Nook tablet is upgradeable to (IIRC) 32 GB thanks to the SD slot [removed off site graphic - moderation]

Last edited by dreams; 01-14-2012 at 01:33 PM. Reason: [removed off site graphic - moderation]
Xspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 12:06 PM   #34
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
While it's still at least three months away, I wouldn't consider either of these devices at this point with the far superior Asus 7" @$250 on the horizon: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=164714
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:51 AM   #35
mustange
mustange began at the beginning.

Device: nook color
I have the BN Nookcolor. I use a SD card that I made (with info on line) that gives me a dual boot to stock BN or Android. Because it is on a SD card it does not mess up your device. I know that you now can buy ready made cards on line for both the BN and Kindle.
mustange is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2012, 05:26 PM   #36
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustange View Post
I know that you now can buy ready made cards on line for both the BN and Kindle.
I would have to applaud anyone who made a ready made card for the Kindle Fire, seeing as it doesn't even have a card slot.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle fire, nook tablet