Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-05-2013, 08:49 PM   #1
Zirowe
Zirowe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Zirowe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Zirowe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Zirowe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Zirowe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Zirowe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Zirowe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Zirowe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Zirowe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Zirowe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Zirowe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle 3 3G
Kindle 3 problems after screen replacement

Hi, I've unfortunately brooke my kindle 3 3g screen, and because I was already out of warranty time, amazon didn't made any replacements.
I've bought a replacement screen from ebay for 60$, and replaced it perfectly.

The screen was acting really strange: at first no response, than after 5 minutes it started to work normaly.
It shows text perfectly, but my problems started the first time it went to the screensaver: the previously set pictures are not shown correctly, all of them, it's like some "shades" are missing from the screen.
If I start to watch pictures, then the resfresh is not accurate, I still can see the contours of the picture before and also the same "shades" are missing.
Then again, for reading a book is perfect.

I can't understand the problem, I've checked the model number before ordering the replacement, so I can only think, that the replacement is a very cheap product.

Or what else can be the problem?

I read something about waveform, but it wasn't that clear..
Zirowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:18 PM   #2
Nihli
Nihli began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Hi,

I see that this topic is a bit old and nobody respond so I will. I just received my replacement screen from china and I had similiar problem to one described here so I think I should answer. My problem looked similiar to this one - http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/24/40328529.jpg/ . Some shades were missing, pictures were hard to read. I was thinking that it was due to poor quality of screen from China. But...

After I played with it and written to the seller on aliexpress - it suddenly started working perfectly. I don't know what happened. I think that such problem lies in some kind of not making for example the screws tight enough or maybe not strong enough pluging the screen? I don't know but it can be surely solved.
Mine solved itself.

EDIT: The problem with refreshing also existed - it was really bad, and images were on top of each other.

Last edited by Nihli; 06-06-2013 at 04:21 PM. Reason: I read post brom the beginning
Nihli is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2013, 06:13 PM   #3
hunnymonster
Zealot
hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 wifi, K3 3G, K Touch, K Paperwhite
The screen connector probably wasn't properly seated.
hunnymonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:57 PM   #4
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
The replacement screen I installed (also purchased from AliExpress) is the best screen among all of the Kindles I've owned. Great contrast.

Those little ribbons are tricky. Getting them in all the way before lowering the clips is obviously important.
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:36 PM   #5
Killler07
Killler07 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G
I got the same problem after replacing my Kindle screen.

It's my second replacement screen, but from a different seller than the first one which worked perfectly.

The only difference I noticed is that the new screen lacks the Serial ROM on the Flex-PCB connector, while the original and the first replacement screens had one.

Does nobody have an idea what this could be caused by?

Someone on instructables is also having this issue:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Fix-...yboard-Screen/
See first comment by mousegan (including picture)

Last edited by Killler07; 10-31-2013 at 08:39 PM.
Killler07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2013, 09:47 AM   #6
Supra James
Supra James is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3G+Wifi
Sounds similar to my problem - see end of this thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=223916&page=2

Basically, new screen is wrong and seller is going to re-send the correct screen with EEPROM on it. Did you use ali express?
Supra James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 07:01 AM   #7
Killler07
Killler07 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G
Thanks a lot for pointing me to the right thread

Yes I did use Aliexpress.
Unfortunately the seller seems not to be willing to communicate, even though he clearly shows pictures with the EEPROM in his listing.

I filed a dispute with Aliexpress and hope that I will get a refund.

The screen without EEPROM doesn't really work well with the old one's calibration data (screen swap workaround), there are quite substantial shadows after content changes...
Killler07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:31 PM   #8
teacherdan
teacherdan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I had the same problem after a screen install. I finally did a hard reset and everything went back to normal.
teacherdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 08:21 PM   #9
icecoldtony
icecoldtony began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
I replaced the screen on two kindle 3 wifi's. One from Aliexpress and one from ebay. The first had no eeprom and the second did. Both did not show graphics correctly. Restarting and rebooting did nothing. I had to hot swop the old screen with the new one after restarting and the then both showed graphics correctly. Unfortunately this only works until the reboot or restart. It's better to buy a used screen with the waveform file on the eeprom.
icecoldtony is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle 3, problem, replacement, screen