Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-06-2010, 07:53 PM   #46
banjomike
Addict
banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505,DSlibris,nook Glow & Simple & HD+,Tab S2,Moon+,Kobo Clara
Hercule Poirot, Sherlock Holmes, Inspector Wexford
banjomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 05:55 AM   #47
ctol
Groupie
ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Fire Tablet, Windows RT Tablet Windows Phone
The already mentioned Dirk Gently, but also Elijah Bailey and R. Daneel Olivaw from Asimov's Caves Of Steel, and Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden. For those of you interested in sci-fi detective stories, you might find the following sites of interest:

http://mainly-mysteries.blogspot.com...etectives.html

http://www.bopsecrets.org/gateway/li...e/escapist.htm

http://www.ascpl.lib.oh.us/internetr...fdetective.pdf
ctol is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2010, 02:14 PM   #48
TC Beacham
Great Beach Reads!
TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
Luckily, the late great Robert B. Parker left some new titles for us - his next Jesse Stone novel, SPLIT IMAGE, is due on February 23rd.
TC Beacham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 07:05 PM   #49
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Does anyone have any hard boiled detectives to recommend?
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 08:26 AM   #50
lovelyloey
Enthusiast
lovelyloey began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 600
Need some recommendations:
which authors are good at locked room sleuthing?

By locked room I simply just mean static situations, not necessarily a ROOM e.g. And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie.
lovelyloey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2010, 09:32 AM   #51
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
All of my favorites are already in this thread, nothing to add heh...
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 09:37 AM   #52
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Wikipedia on the locked room story. I already mentioned Futrelle I think, and I am too lazy to go through the Wikipedia and list all the ones I can personally vouch for, but there were names I recognized.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 11:37 AM   #53
TC Beacham
Great Beach Reads!
TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Does anyone have any hard boiled detectives to recommend?
How about Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch? I really enjoy those books.
TC Beacham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:59 PM   #54
chedva
chedva began at the beginning.

Device: sony ebook touch
Quote:
By locked room I simply just mean static situations
Well, if you want a detective in the locked room, there's always Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe. And for an author who always plays fair, you can't beat Ellery Queen (limiting this to the books in which Ellery is the sleuth; I'm not crazy about Queen's stories with others doing the detecting).

Another favorite author is Dick Francis, who doesn't really write series detective stories except for two or three books about Sid Halley. Each book revolves in some way around steeplechase racing, but the detective is usually someone who just finds him or herself in a situation that they have to get out of.
chedva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 04:10 PM   #55
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
One of the best sleuths, Ed Clive, only appeared once in the Leigh Brackett Novel 'No Good From A Corpse". Because of Brackett's masterly writing skills she was hired to write the Big Sleep screenplay alongside William Faulkner. It's a fantastic book, and the nearest you'll get to Chandler without it being Chandler. It's also available for free at Munsey's (http://www.munseys.com/book/31305/No_Good_from_a_Corpse)
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 04:40 PM   #56
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
I agree with a lot of the people in this thread.

I also have some favorite amateur sleuth series that have cats and dogs as main characters: Koko (and his human James "Qwill" Qwilleran) from Lillian Jackson Braun's The Cat Who... series, Mrs. Murphy, Tucker and Pewter from Rita Mae Brown's Mrs. Murphy books, and Holly Winter and her Alaskan Malamutes from Susan Conant's Dog Lover Mysteries.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 10:29 AM   #57
weatherwax
Guru
weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS650 (red), Kindle PW2, Galaxy Note 8
C.F. Wong and Joyce Mc Quinney from Nury Vittachi
Kommissar Kluftinger from Volker Klüpfel and Michael Kobr
Elvis Cole and Joe Pike from Robert Crais
Ian Rankin's Inspector Rebus
Eliot Pattison's Inspector Shan
weatherwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:36 PM   #58
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
I'd like to suggest:

Harry Kemelman's books staring Rabbi David Small

Brian Freeman's Jonathan Stride series

Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake (erotic magic-oriented detective series of a sort)

J. A. Konrath's Jack Daniels series (see his blog for great commentary on ebooks/drm/etc)

Gregory McDonald's Fletch series.

Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child's Pendergast series.

The Amelia Peabody series by Elizabeth Peters.

Ridley Pearson's Boldt/Matthews series.

I'm sure someone's mentioned The No.1 Ladies series...it's on my list to read after having loved the BBC series of the same name.

And I have a nostalgic memory for the Hardy Boys and Tom Swift/Tom Swift Jr. books.
guyanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 11:01 AM   #59
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Philip Marlowe, without a doubt. And Pepe Carvalho, the Calalan sleuth who burns books in his chimney and is a lover of good food. After reading Zelda's contribution I might add Adamsberg, though I agree with her about the evangelists, I liked them much better.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 04:40 AM   #60
Panda Rose
Zealot
Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs505, Kindle 3, iPhone4
Anyone read the Karen Rose books, they are a bit graphic and gruesome, but well worth reading. Not sure if you can get them as ebooks, as I read them in pb before I got the Sony.
Panda Rose is offline   Reply With Quote