Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 05-23-2009, 10:33 PM   #16
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
Because you still owe the USA a lifetime of gratitude that you all aren't speaking German/Russian/Persian/etc. right now.
I thought people in Germany speak German... Am I wrong?
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 01:19 AM   #17
Ellimist
Ellimist began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (blue)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQE69WsCTWk

Heh, that sure is one shiny screen.

It looks like it was really solidly built, too.

20 hours battery life! Wow! That's like an iPod. I wonder what how long it can sit in standby.
Ellimist is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2009, 02:53 AM   #18
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
I would sure love to see a Jetbook review VIDEO (as opposed to written review) in English! I'm a visual learner. I have been researching all different types of ebook readers the last couple days and learning what each of them can and can not do. I'm still in the process of researching some.
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 05:34 AM   #19
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
I thought people in Germany speak German... Am I wrong?
Well they're still covered by the rest!
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 09:22 AM   #20
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybaby View Post
plus take into account that income of someone working full time at Mininum wage is less than 16,000 a year in the US. and there are way too many of these type of people.

If the average income is the same in the UK, I would charge the same price too.
Minimum wage in MY country is less than $4600 a year.
So, according to your logic they should be selling JetBook in my country for $50.

Yet, EVERYTHING is more expensive here than in USA. Even software, like windows, MSOffice, AutoCAD and countless others are significantly more expensive here. Because the prices were set when the exchange rate for dollar was much higher and why would Microsoft lower the prices when people are buying Vista like never before.

Now, try asking me if I think that $25 is a fair price for DRM-crippled e-book

Last edited by kacir; 05-24-2009 at 10:56 AM.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2009, 11:50 AM   #21
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Because the prices were set when the exchange rate for dollar was much higher and why would Microsoft lower the prices when people are buying Vista like never before.
It's not *all* to do with the exchange rate. And the dollar-to-euro and dollar-to-gbp has been reasonably stable for over a year now.

The EU (and especially the UK) charges obscene business fees (especially for licensing) for any outside company that wants to do business there. It's a problem my employer is facing right now because we have to charge so much more to our UK/EU clients to make any sort of profit and offset the fees/taxes of doing business there.

You might want to rethink your anti-US tirade.

Quote:
You still have to pay for handling + shipping + Value Added Tax (approx. 20%, depending on country) + whatever customs officer decides.
Yep, exactly right. And you know what? I'm pissed that my favorite yarn company is in France and I have to pay ridiculous shipping/VAT fees to get knitting patterns and yarn shipped to me. But it's part of the price of doing business with another country.

Last edited by queentess; 05-24-2009 at 11:54 AM.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 01:37 PM   #22
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
You might want to rethink your anti-US tirade.
It is not anti-US tirade.
It is anti-high-prices tirade.
Or perhaps anti-scalping-of-customers tirade.

I know very well that my dear country puts very heavy hand into my pocket whenever I buy anything.

Funny thing is that "LambdaGizmo" that is sold in USA for $100 and in Europe for 110Eur is in fact manufactured in Taiwan and is marketed by a multinational company that pays taxes in some tax haven (like Bermuda islands).
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 01:17 AM   #23
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
NewEgg has the jetBook in White for $169.99 with this coupon code: EMCLSNN34
Does anyone know how long this coupon code is good for? I'm thinking about getting one.
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 03:48 PM   #24
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray View Post
Does anyone know how long this coupon code is good for? I'm thinking about getting one.
http://promotions.newegg.com/NEemail...x-landing.aspx
Promo codes expire 05/28/2009
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 08:18 PM   #25
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
Thanks for pointing that out. I guess it was obvious, but I didn't know about the NewEgg promo page, or whether that was a coupon code from elsewhere. Sometimes other sites post codes that you don't find on the sellers site.

In any case, I did the deed and ordered a white one. I hope I'll like it, as it won't be as returnable as the Sony was.
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 12:48 PM   #26
cheese bogart
Connoisseur
cheese bogart has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: prs-505 (Silver), Ipad
I guess one way to get around the taxes (legally) is; if you have a friend or family member in said country that you're wanting to buy from, get them to buy it for you and then get them to send it as a present.

My mum lives in Florida and obviously come birthday/Christmas/Mother's day I send her presents and not once has either of us had to pay taxes on them. And the same can be said when she sends present to all her family over here.
cheese bogart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 07:34 PM   #27
LuBiB
Banned
LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, iPhone, JETBOOK COLOR!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
NewEgg has the jetBook in White for $169.99 with this coupon code: EMCLSNN34
mannn i wish i had this code before!!! but it was a great buy for me so i dont really mind
LuBiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 08:50 AM   #28
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Does anyone know if this code is still valid?
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 08:51 AM   #29
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ooops never mind-I just saw the post a few above mine.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:35 AM   #30
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard

Doh Canuck!! I just ordered this the other day!!

And I posted here so I must have known about it!