Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 02-12-2009, 07:46 PM   #46
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
With copyright, IP and DRM issues constantly being debated I thought I'd look for some titles on that subject to suggest... I was trying to find something all-encompassing, giving multiple sides to the topics, but in the end I just picked one I could find that was available as in at least 2 ebook formats... Feel free to suggest another... I haven't read it, don't know if I agree or disagree with the authors views...

Against Intellectual Monopoly - by Michele Boldrin and David K. Levine

"“Intellectual property” – patents and copyrights – have become controversial. We witness teenagers being sued for “pirating” music – and we observe AIDS patients in Africa dying due to lack of ability to pay for drugs that are high priced to satisfy patent holders. Are patents and copyrights essential to thriving creation and innovation – do we need them so that we all may enjoy fine music and good health? Across time and space the resounding answer is: No. So-called intellectual property is in fact an “intellectual monopoly” that hinders rather than helps the competitive free market regime that has delivered wealth and innovation to our doorsteps. This book has broad coverage of both copyrights and patents and is designed for a general audience, focusing on simple examples. The authors conclude that the only sensible policy to follow is to eliminate the patents and copyright systems as they currently exist."

It's available from Amazon, free as a 8.5x11 PDF and Cambridge University Press/ebooks.com has it in Adobe Reader (Dunno if that is pdf or epub?).

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:13 PM   #47
Nickfdr
Enthusiast
Nickfdr began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh215 View Post
With copyright, IP and DRM issues constantly being debated I thought I'd look for some titles on that subject to suggest... I was trying to find something all-encompassing, giving multiple sides to the topics, but in the end I just picked one I could find that was available as in at least 2 ebook formats... Feel free to suggest another... I haven't read it, don't know if I agree or disagree with the authors views...

"“Intellectual property” – patents and copyrights – have become controversial. We witness teenagers being sued for “pirating” music – and we observe AIDS patients in Africa dying due to lack of ability to pay for drugs that are high priced to satisfy patent holders. Are patents and copyrights essential to thriving creation and innovation – do we need them so that we all may enjoy fine music and good health? Across time and space the resounding answer is: No. So-called intellectual property is in fact an “intellectual monopoly” that hinders rather than helps the competitive free market regime that has delivered wealth and innovation to our doorsteps. This book has broad coverage of both copyrights and patents and is designed for a general audience, focusing on simple examples. The authors conclude that the only sensible policy to follow is to eliminate the patents and copyright systems as they currently exist."

It's available from Amazon, free as a 8.5x11 PDF and Cambridge University Press/ebooks.com has it in Adobe Reader (Dunno if that is pdf or epub?).

-MJ
Ooooo that sound interesting I think I'm gonna second this. I'll wait on some one else to second it before I use up my last second
Nickfdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2009, 08:42 PM   #48
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh215 View Post

-MJ
I've sent email to David K. Levin in hopes to get a copy that will be fairly easy to convert that's not in PDF. If I can get such, I will be quite happy to second this. It does sound like a good choice.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:09 PM   #49
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
I'll third Bob's nomination of
The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make A Big Difference by Malcolm Gladwell
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:41 PM   #50
yekim54
What the Dog Saw
yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Surface3
As most of you probably know, February 12, 1809 was the birth date of both Charles Darwin and Abraham Lincoln. Since Darwin already has a nomination, and since today is Feb 12th, I wish to nominate "Manhunt: The 12-Day Chase for Lincoln's Killer" by James L. Swanson.

The Greatest Manhunt in American History. For 12 days after his brazen assassination of Abraham Lincoln, John Wilkes Booth was at large, and in "Manhunt", historian James L. Swanson tells the vivid, fully documented tale of his escape and the wild, massive pursuit. Swanson's "Manhunt" reads like a thriller rather than history.
yekim54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2009, 11:43 PM   #51
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Non-Fiction; This is my topic and boy do I have nominations

My Life and Work
by Henry Ford

Free located free on MR and PG. Both RWood and I have uploaded versions of this book.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ight=life+work
(I've uploaded IMP/ePUB/LIT/MOBI/LRF)

Product Info
This is Henry Ford's most revealing insights into his philosophy of both business and life. Discover how Henry Ford believed in, used and commanded spiritual and philosophical principles to build his financial empire.

My Comments
I’m on the 5th chapter and this book is excellent. Mr. Ford has philosophy is very Zen like very clear very simple, yet very deep. We all know his accomplishments but after reading his 2nd chapter I can see why he succeeded. I strongly recommend this book.

Think and Grow Rich
by Napoleon Hill

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ight=grow+rich

See reviews
http://www.amazon.com/Think-Grow-Ric...4499525&sr=1-4

Product info
In a few minutes, you are about to come into possession of a philosophy which can be transmuted into material wealth, or to bring you peace of mind, understanding, and spiritual harmony. This book explains how to recognize and apply the principles that can help you achieve your goals in life. It teaches that happiness is being in alignment with the principles of nature. The book states that the only way to wealth is to cultivate the right ideas about the right things and then hold on to them. Various techniques for developing the mental faculties and ideas about wealth creation are fully explained for easy understanding. You, who read this book, will get most out of it by putting into practice the powerful Master Mind principle described in the book.

My Comments
I’ve read this book several times and would read it again. It is said this book has influenced more men and women than any other book published today.

When Genius Failed
by Doris Kearns Goodwin
http://www.fictionwise.com/eBooks/eBook3279.htm?cache

Product info
Amazon.com Review
On September 23, 1998, the boardroom of the New York Fed was a tense place. Around the table sat the heads of every major Wall Street bank, the chairman of the New York Stock Exchange, and representatives from numerous European banks, each of whom had been summoned to discuss a highly unusual prospect: rescuing what had, until then, been the envy of them all, the extraordinarily successful bond-trading firm of Long-Term Capital Management. Roger Lowenstein's When Genius Failed is the gripping story of the Fed's unprecedented move, the incredible heights reached by LTCM, and the firm's eventual dramatic demise.

My Comments
Okay this book was strongly recommended from several of my fiends. Even from a gentleman who claims he never reads or recommends books. If this book got him to crack open a book we’ll I’m just curious.

Predictably Irrational: The Hidden Forces That Shape Our Decisions
by Dan Ariely

http://www.amazon.com/Predictably-Ir...4499397&sr=1-1

Product Info
Why do our headaches persist after taking a one-cent aspirin but disappear when we take a 50-cent aspirin?; Why does recalling the Ten Commandments reduce our tendency to lie, even when we couldn't possibly be caught?; …… Predictably Irrational will change the way we interact with the world... one small decision at a time.

My Comments
I read this book and cannot recommend this book enough Truly amazing it will change the way you look at life.

Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln
By Doris Kearns Goodwin

This book has gotten great reviews. President Obama stated in an interview that this was his favorite and most influential book.

http://www.amazon.com/Team-Rivals-Po...4499263&sr=1-1

Product description
The life and times of Abraham Lincoln have been analyzed and dissected in countless books. Do we need another Lincoln biography? In Team of Rivals, esteemed historian Doris Kearns Goodwin proves that we do. Though she can't help but cover some familiar territory, her perspective is focused enough to offer fresh insights into Lincoln's leadership style and his deep understanding of human behavior and motivation. Goodwin makes the case for Lincoln's political genius by examining his relationships with three men he selected for his cabinet, all of whom were opponents for the Republican nomination in 1860:….

My Comments
On my reading list. I have not read this book

I got many more recommendations but I'll stop here. These are all excellent books.

=X=

Last edited by =X=; 02-12-2009 at 11:46 PM.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:00 AM   #52
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The "rules" are that you can nominate no more than 3 books, X. Could you choose which ones you'd like to nominate, please?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 11:19 AM   #53
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Yes Master

The Professor and the Madman by Simon Winchester.

From Amazon.com:

This blurb kind of makes it sound a little boring, but it isn't. I don't do boring
I third this one!
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 11:20 AM   #54
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by acprinter View Post
Sorry I messed up. In that case how about

"The World Without Us" by Alan Weisman

In The World Without Us, Alan Weisman offers an utterly original approach to questions of humanity's impact on the planet: he asks us to envision our Earth, without us.

In this far-reaching narrative, Weisman explains how our massive infrastructure would collapse and finally vanish without human presence; what of our everyday stuff may become immortalized as fossils; how copper pipes and wiring would be crushed into mere seams of reddish rock; why some of our earliest buildings might be the last architecture left; and how plastic, bronze sculpture, radio waves, and some man-made molecules may be our most lasting gifts to the universe.

________
Read the best books first, or you may not have a chance to read them at all.
~ Henry David Thoreau ~
I second this one. I've been wanting to read it for a while and it would make a great follow up to the Feb selection "Refuge."
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 11:39 AM   #55
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The "rules" are that you can nominate no more than 3 books, X. Could you choose which ones you'd like to nominate, please?
Ops... Mea culpa.

Let me refine my nominations to

- My Life and Work
- Think and Grow Rich
- Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln

You have no idea how hard that was Harry.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:48 AM   #56
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I HIGHLY recommend the book I'm reading right now, "The Idiot Girl and the Flaming Tantrum of Death," by Laurie Notaro.

It is witty observations on being a nearly middle-aged woman. And it's also rolling around, belly-shaking, loud snorting funny!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 12:51 PM   #57
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
I HIGHLY recommend the book I'm reading right now, "The Idiot Girl and the Flaming Tantrum of Death," by Laurie Notaro.

It is witty observations on being a nearly middle-aged woman. And it's also rolling around, belly-shaking, loud snorting funny!
That's the free one, right? I'll second that.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 01:55 PM   #58
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Make it a third.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 01:58 PM   #59
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
It was either free or $1, I forgot which. Worth the price, whichever it was.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 02:07 PM   #60
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
It was either free or $1, I forgot which. Worth the price, whichever it was.
I'll grab it tonight before I forget.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote