Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-29-2012, 03:37 AM   #271
[bo]
[bo] began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
I'm still on a lookout for a nice condensed font. Only DejaVu works, barely.

I've tried Myriad Pro Semicond and Cond, Din Text Condensed, Helen Condensed. The problem with all those, as I wrote previously, is they're a too small on 9pt and too large on 11 pt.

Garamond Premier, Warnock, Maiola and all those work ok, but I find the serif fonts harder to read on the low-res Kindle screen. Also, they're just too wide for my preference.

adamselene is right - there are just too many fonts out there. If anyone stumbles upon a nice and readable condensed, please post it here. Thanks.
[bo] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:06 PM   #272
techiemonkey
Tech Geek Forever
techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch hacked
Ummm.@adamselene I have a problem.I created a file named USE_ALT_FONTS then put averia fonts directly in fonts folder and typed ;fc-cache in the search bar and pressed enter.then I went out for fifteen minutes,opened a book and pressed aa button for selecting a font but the kindle hangs and restarts.please help.firmware is 5.1.0 and Ithis is a k5.
techiemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2012, 10:40 PM   #273
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by [bo] View Post
Garamond Premier, Warnock, Maiola and all those work ok, but I find the serif fonts harder to read on the low-res Kindle screen.
What is "low-res" about a 168 ppi display?

I really think you are seeing effects of low contrast, a topic which has several threads here already and a lot of complaints.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:20 AM   #274
thayerwilliams
thayerwilliams is no ebook tyro.thayerwilliams is no ebook tyro.thayerwilliams is no ebook tyro.thayerwilliams is no ebook tyro.thayerwilliams is no ebook tyro.thayerwilliams is no ebook tyro.thayerwilliams is no ebook tyro.thayerwilliams is no ebook tyro.thayerwilliams is no ebook tyro.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartveld View Post
I have fattened Times Roman a bit to increase legibility. I like it, maybe someone else shares my old-fashioned taste.
I know this is an old post, but just wanted to say thanks for this. It's the best modification of TNR I've found for the K3 and it looks great.
thayerwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:45 AM   #275
notimp
Addict
notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2i
Installed fonthack-1.3.1 and libfreetype-6.8.1 on KT 5.1.2, first it worked fine, but the I the button to set the "condensed" font from within the UI vanished.
Restarted Framework and Kindle, still the same problem.

Im uninstalling the packages now... Will reinstall later. Any idea how this might have happened?

edit: Nevermind. Reset ALL default ([S]) Kindle fonts within the UI to their defaults and restarted Framework and the Button reapeared.

Last edited by notimp; 08-02-2012 at 04:56 AM.
notimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2012, 03:54 PM   #276
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Version 1.3.2

This version fixes the issue with the "condensed" button disappearing, and includes another cosmetical fix. Download from the link given in the first post.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:42 AM   #277
adamselene
Enthusiast
adamselene can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.adamselene can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.adamselene can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.adamselene can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.adamselene can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.adamselene can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.adamselene can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.adamselene can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.adamselene can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.adamselene can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.adamselene can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Touch, Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by techiemonkey View Post
Ummm.@adamselene I have a problem.I created a file named USE_ALT_FONTS then put averia fonts directly in fonts folder and typed ;fc-cache in the search bar and pressed enter.then I went out for fifteen minutes,opened a book and pressed aa button for selecting a font but the kindle hangs and restarts.please help.firmware is 5.1.0 and Ithis is a k5.
Really couldn't tell you. But this whole thing is pretty unpolished, so bugs would absolutely not surprise me.
adamselene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:31 AM   #278
ugumba
ugumba began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
This version fixes the issue with the "condensed" button disappearing, and includes another cosmetical fix. Download from the link given in the first post.
Thanks, ixtab - the hack has already improved my reading enjoyment a great deal!

Is it safe to just replace the azw2 file, or do I need to uninstall and install? In the latter case, do I need to use my original uninstall version, or can I use the 1.3.2 uninstall?
ugumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:44 AM   #279
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You can simply replace the .azw2 for this update
Or, you could just install it over the previous version without uninstalling first.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:06 AM   #280
bartveld
Evangelist
bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Galaxy S8, Galaxy Tab A 10.1, ReMarkable
Quote:
Originally Posted by thayerwilliams View Post
I know this is an old post, but just wanted to say thanks for this. It's the best modification of TNR I've found for the K3 and it looks great.
Thank you! Glad you like it...
bartveld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 06:52 AM   #281
johnleo
Enthusiast
johnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it is

Hi, ixtab.

Quite new with this forum and with kindle touch too. I looked through this post and haven't been able to figure out if this font hack will give any help to replacing default Chinese font with another. I saw the UI and it is all about different English fonts. But I saw several posts talking about Chinese fonts. So could you explain it a bit? Thank you.
johnleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 06:58 AM   #282
ixtab
(offline)

@johnleo: sorry, but I can't. I don't know chinese, so it would be pointless for me to experiment with such settings.

You may want to a) ask in a chinese forum, b) directly contact some of the folks who experimented with chinese fonts, and/or c) hope for some of them to answer here.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:29 AM   #283
johnleo
Enthusiast
johnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it is

I see.
Because someone talked about it in this thread with you(you may not remember coz they were dozens of pages back), I thought you know something about it.
Never mind. I will wait for some Chinese guy to work this out. Thanks for your reply.
johnleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 10:46 AM   #284
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnleo View Post
I see.
Because someone talked about it in this thread with you(you may not remember coz they were dozens of pages back), I thought you know something about it.
I do remember those posts - but I can't give you more information than I already posted back then
Quote:
Never mind. I will wait for some Chinese guy to work this out. Thanks for your reply.
Even better: try to work it out by yourself, then post the instructions here...

PS: You can also check the "original" version (in the spoiler) of the very first post - it contains various helpful links about fontconfig, and about how it can be customized and "debugged".

Last edited by ixtab; 08-12-2012 at 10:49 AM.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:26 PM   #285
yiming
Zealot
yiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle Touch, PW2, PW5
Quote:
I see.
hi johnleo

yes, you can use fonthack to replace the default Chinese font.

the instructions can be found at this link http://irising.me/2012/03/14118/

if you have problems accessing the page, pls use the Google cache copy:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...=imvns&strip=1
yiming is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle touch hacks