Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 12-15-2011, 10:22 AM   #1
freescopesdad
freescopesdad began at the beginning.

Device: iPad2
iBooks Display Issue

I am a newcomer to the iPad2 so please be patient. I recently attempted to convert a test pdf file [a car club newsletter originally created in MS Publisher with multiple columns and embedded pictures] to ePub format. I used several of the free-to-try converters on the web. I found that a straight text conversion does not work as the resulting ePub file's formatting is lost. So I tried what these programs call an image or picture conversion. This worked, but the resulting pages only emcompassed less than one-half of the available screen [1 inch margins on 3 sides, 1.375 on the bottom] on my iPad2, making the images unreadable. I learned that by double-tapping each image I could make it [slightly] larger but still not really legible. And this feature [?] disabled vertical page scrolling. I cannot figure out how to show these images in full screen and still scroll through the newsletter. I am using IOS5 and iBooks 1.5.

To further confuse matters, today I received an email from one of the vendors of the converters that I tried. Sophia of Doeremisoft says that they converted my pdf file, which I emailed to them, to ePub and displayed it full screen on an iPad with no problems. She suggested that there is something wrong in my iBooks settings.

As I originally stated, I am quite the novice here. This is my first Apple or IOS device. Does anyone have an idea how to fix this issue? It is important because I would like to convert a 130+ technical book [lots of pictures, charts, etc] that I have in pdf for sale on Amazon.com, and they require ePub format. Thanks for your thoughts, hopefully the answer is simple.

Merry Christmas
Ron
freescopesdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 01:14 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
For ePub issues you might find more experts in the ePub forum.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2011, 01:44 PM   #3
Philantrop
Addict
Philantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindles (e-ink)
iBooks can display PDF documents directly. If that's all you want, just keep the original PDF and read that.
Philantrop is offline   Reply With Quote