Notices

Old 10-05-2013, 02:32 PM   #46
SoCalReader
Enthusiast
SoCalReader began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-950SC, Sony PRS-T2, (former) Amazon Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
If you use Calibre to manage your ebook library, then converting from epub to awz/mobi is pretty inconsequential, as Calibre makes it so easy. New books I add are now just routinely converted to both formats, but most of my library are awz/mobi and I haven't bothered doing anything with them as Calibre just converts them to epub for me when I tell it to transfer them to my 350.
Are you doing this in the US? Calibre does NOT convert epub to awz/mobi or vice versa if there is a DRM on the book. Of course you could violate the licence agreement as some people suggest.
SoCalReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 03:35 AM   #47
Fayth
Zealot
Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.

Device: Sony PRS 350
That copy protection is meant to stop people from casually lending books. When I strip the DRM off my books, I'm not doing it so that I can easily give copies to my friends (they can buy their own damn books), I am doing it so that I keep a hassle-free, format shift-able copy of the ebook I purchased. This might be illegal (though I am not sure about that in Canada at least), but it most certainly doesn't harm content creators or sellers when I do this, and if they somehow found out and went after me for it, they would only be losing a loyal customer.
Fayth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 02:02 PM   #48
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Technically speaking it was just recently made illegal in Canada. I believe in giving creators their due. I like my music, movies and books etc so only buy them. I don't steal them but I don't have a problem with format shifting as it's been called.

Kinda like buying a record and taping it so you can listen to it in the car. Well before the days of computers & MP3 players. I bought it and want to bring it with me on whichever car or reader I choose. I don't have a problem with that. Giving it to everyone under the sun, or selling it, I don't do.

But this topic is only going to open a humungous can of worms. Just saying.....

Play nicely SoCalReader.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 02:30 PM   #49
induna
Addict
induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, 505, 600, 350, T1 Amazon Kindle PW1, PW2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalReader View Post
You understand that removing the copy right protection you have violated the license agreement. Sony or Amazon, or any other dealer that sells you book licences would have the authority to remove permission for you to download the file ever again. In short, do you understand that what you are doing is illegal?
That doesn't concern me in the least. I buy the books for my personal use and I make sure that I can continue to use them irrespective of what corporation I brought them from. I do not distribute the books to others, nor do I do anything else that would take money from the works' creators. I treat my ebooks exactly he same way I treated my p-books and CDs, and observe all relevent copyright restrictions while doing so.
induna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 06:38 PM   #50
SoCalReader
Enthusiast
SoCalReader began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-950SC, Sony PRS-T2, (former) Amazon Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
Technically speaking it was just recently made illegal in Canada. I believe in giving creators their due. I like my music, movies and books etc so only buy them. I don't steal them but I don't have a problem with format shifting as it's been called.

Kinda like buying a record and taping it so you can listen to it in the car. Well before the days of computers & MP3 players. I bought it and want to bring it with me on whichever car or reader I choose. I don't have a problem with that. Giving it to everyone under the sun, or selling it, I don't do.

But this topic is only going to open a humungous can of worms. Just saying.....

Play nicely SoCalReader.
Two issues:
1) There are many laws that I don't agree with and yet I abide by them to participate in the particular society of my choice. For example, I believe all drugs used for recreational use should be deemed legal. But they aren't and so until they are, I don't snort cocaine.

I strongly agree with your views and believe that at somepoint the courts of the US will align the laws related to books and vides with those of software and music. Until then, removing the DRM is illegal.

2) Many people simply don't know this is illegal. On the internet, sadly, there are many people who believe that if some action is doable, then it is legal.

So I will play nicely as long as people are fully aware of their transactions; I am simply raising the question. It appears that some are aware which means they can't complain if Amazon decides to pull the plug on them.

And so, if Amazon is going to use a non-industrial standard format for their licences thus forcing us to us only use their e-readers (an iPad is not an e-reader), I will refrain from buying from them. I urge all of you to do the same.

Enjoy.

Last edited by SoCalReader; 10-10-2013 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Had the comparison backwards.
SoCalReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:51 AM   #51
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
Which all leads us neatly (ish) back to the original question.

What ereaders are out there that are practical alternatives to the T3? Must be able to read Adobe-DRMed epubs.

To me it looks like Kobo is about the only game in town.
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:11 PM   #52
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisridd View Post
Which all leads us neatly (ish) back to the original question.

What ereaders are out there that are practical alternatives to the T3? Must be able to read Adobe-DRMed epubs.

To me it looks like Kobo is about the only game in town.
Kobo, Nook, Onyx, Bookeen, Icarus & Pocketbook all do Adobe Adept DRM. I'm sure there are others.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:10 AM   #53
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Kobo, Nook, Onyx, Bookeen, Icarus & Pocketbook all do Adobe Adept DRM. I'm sure there are others.
You're right. Here in the UK Kobo is a pretty mainstream choice, Nook is much less so (and I'm under the impression there are some uncertainties about B&N's Nook business), and the others you mentioned are really very obscure.

I'm uncomfortable with going with a really obscure vendor. Partly because of support, and partly because - darnit! - ereaders should be mainstream!

So one of the reasons I chose Sony was because it was relatively mainstream and not Kindle. I think the only practical alternative eink device for me now is some kind of Kobo. I'll investigate Nook as well.
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:17 AM   #54
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
Quote:
Though here in the US, unless I've just been looking in the wrong places for how to do it, Onyx, Bookeen, Icarus, & Pocketbook are difficult and relatively more expensive to get? I mean, on the Bookeen site right now the only thing available is the black Orizon. No Odyssey. No Opus.

That pretty much leaves Nook and Kobo and Kobo is basically unknown in many areas.
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:58 AM   #55
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasnightowl View Post
Though here in the US, unless I've just been looking in the wrong places for how to do it, Onyx, Bookeen, Icarus, & Pocketbook are difficult and relatively more expensive to get?
Yes, they're harder to get and more expensive (some may be impossible to get). Thing is it might be worth it to some users to pay more to get what is the right reader for them instead of ending up buying two or more of the easy to get ones and ending up not completely satisfied. Just depends on the features one wants/needs.

Not saying one needs to buy one of these other brands. I'd guess most folks would be fine with a Kobo or Nook. It's when you have problems (like all of the little Kobo glitches/bugs) that you might look for alternates.

As for support from obscure vendors I got better support when needed from Bookeen (even though I had to ship to France) than I have from B&N or Kobo.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:03 AM   #56
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
As for support from obscure vendors I got better support when needed from Bookeen (even though I had to ship to France) than I have from B&N or Kobo.
Glad you got support from Bookeen. My experience is very different. A few weeks ago when I was looking at the Odyssey I contacted them through their web page to ask when they might have stock of any model besides the Orizon on their web shop again and it has been weeks with no response. Obviously I'm not impressed. If they can't even contact me to give me an estimate on when I might be able to buy a unit I don't have a great feeling for any other contact.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:49 AM   #57
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

No, if they don't respond I certainly wouldn't buy from them. I get the impression that they, like some other reader companies, have all but given up on the US market. The Odyssey has never been available directly from them in the US.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:52 AM   #58
texasnightowl
Guru

Quote:
No, if they don't respond I certainly wouldn't buy from them. I get the impression that they, like some other reader companies, have all but given up on the US market. The Odyssey has never been available directly from them in the US.
Their website is definitely misleading then because it has all sorts of links for buy now until you get to the actual "shop" page I guess and then nothing is there.

I am keeping an eye on some of the other European models...Icarus and ImcoV6L that just popped up yesterday but so far nothing is screaming "must buy" to me.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:28 PM   #59
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumadona View Post
I went from original Nook to T-1, so I can sideload if I absolutely need to
but I spend a lot of time away from home, sometimes for a few days or a bit more than a week at a time. It's a lot better to find a hotspot and download a book on the Sony than to carry my computer around, find a hotspot, plug it in, download, then sideload

I'll just have to wait and see what happens, keep reading about new readers in general, and hope that my T-1 lasts until next summer when I hope to visit Montreal. If nothing else catches my eye (and Sony doesn't self-destruct by then), I'll smuggle a T-3 back home. If you do get a T-3, please let us know your impressions. We members of the aging eyes club want to know!

Plumadona
I just thought I'd mention that I recall that the Sony outlet store on Lundy's Lane in Niagara falls (on the Canada side) sometimes has very cheap refurbished Sony readers, if you happen to be passing through that way when you visit Canada. Hopefully they will have the T3 at some point. I've also seen very cheap (around $40) refurbished Sony Readers at The Source outlets, if you happen to find one on your way. Best of luck!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:29 PM   #60
Plumadona
Groupie
Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle HD6, Kindle PW2, Sony PRS-T1, Nook NE1
Thanks! I may have friends going up that way soon...

Plumadona
Plumadona is offline   Reply With Quote