Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-02-2012, 05:50 AM   #1
Woekie
Woekie began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW
Disable screensaver/sleep mode on Paperwhite

I'm thinking about upgrading my K3 to a Paperwhite.

My K3 is often used for work related stuff, and I need to have te same page active for longer than the 10 minutes or so before the kindle goes into sleep mode.

For the K3 you can temporarily disable the screensaver / sleep mode with the ;debugOn, ~disableScreensaver command.

Does anyone know if this works for the Paperwhite as well?
Or even better, can you change the settings for sleep mode or disable it altogether in het regular menu's? Changing the time out period from 10 to 30 minutes would solve my problem.

Thank you for your answers!
Woekie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:50 AM   #2
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woekie View Post
I'm thinking about upgrading my K3 to a Paperwhite.

My K3 is often used for work related stuff, and I need to have te same page active for longer than the 10 minutes or so before the kindle goes into sleep mode.

For the K3 you can temporarily disable the screensaver / sleep mode with the ;debugOn, ~disableScreensaver command.

Does anyone know if this works for the Paperwhite as well?
Or even better, can you change the settings for sleep mode or disable it altogether in het regular menu's? Changing the time out period from 10 to 30 minutes would solve my problem.

Thank you for your answers!
There's no regular menu access, but you can use the "~ds" command on the Paperwhite to disable the screen saver.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2012, 09:02 AM   #3
Woekie
Woekie began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW
Thanks very much, Ixtab, that's good to know. It's a small thing, but for me it's the difference between useful and useless. Now I really want one!

Only turns out it's a matter of waiting till Amazon decides that the people in the Netherlands (where I live) are ready for technology this advanced.
To my astonishment I'm not allowed to buy one
Woekie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:20 PM   #4
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool How?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
There's no regular menu access, but you can use the "~ds" command on the Paperwhite to disable the screen saver.
Where do you type this "~ds" command and do you need to somehow turn debug on and then off and if so, then how?

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:35 PM   #5
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Where do you type this "~ds" command and do you need to somehow turn debug on and then off and if so, then how?

You simply put that in the search bar. See Searchbar Shortcuts for instructions and other shortcuts. For PW you need scroll down to section 7.1.1, but it is better explained in the KT section.

Update: Possible undesired sideeffect is that you cannot put the PW to sleep by closing the cover. If you close the cover, it simply turns the light off. If you push the power button shortly, nothing happens. To put PW to sleep, you must push the power button for several seconds to enter the white screen sleep mode. To restore normal behavior, a restart is required. If I get some time in the morning, I will add that to the Wiki.

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 01-03-2013 at 07:50 PM.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2013, 07:45 PM   #6
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
You simply put that in the search bar. See Searchbar Shortcuts for instructions and other shortcuts. For PW you need scroll down to section 7.1.1, but it is better explained in the KT section.

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:01 PM   #7
omega34
Enthusiast
omega34 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omega34 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omega34 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omega34 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omega34 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omega34 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omega34 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omega34 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omega34 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omega34 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omega34 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Does this work for Paperwhites with ads enabled? Also, when you turn it on, will it go straight to your book or will you still have to swipe to remove the ad?
omega34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:43 PM   #8
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by omega34 View Post
Does this work for Paperwhites with ads enabled? Also, when you turn it on, will it go straight to your book or will you still have to swipe to remove the ad?
Yes this works on SO-PW. Seeing the ad depends on how you wake up. When you wake up with the button, I believe you never see the ad (if it works like on the KT). I don't have a SO-PW model to check, so I could not tell you if the white screen sleepmode will show an ad or not if you wake up by opening the cover. See post #5 (mine) in the update part for limitations of the ~ds mode.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:38 PM   #9
SeattleCard
SeattleCard began at the beginning.

Device: K3 3G+SO
Does anyone know if ~ds mode does indeed drain the battery quicker?

Does the Kindle have a default sleep timeout, or does the ~ds command kill sleep altogether? I'd like to permanently keep the screensaver off with my paperwhite, but I'm not sure I want it badly enough to come at the expense of battery life.
SeattleCard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:02 PM   #10
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
It shouldn't drain the battery quicker, as it only takes power to change the screen. To NOT change the screen would not take any power.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:00 PM   #11
SeattleCard
SeattleCard began at the beginning.

Device: K3 3G+SO
Well, if it isn't in 'true' sleep mode there could be other services running on the device causing a quicker drain.
SeattleCard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 06:20 PM   #12
Vicente
Vicente began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post

Update: Possible undesired sideeffect is that you cannot put the PW to sleep by closing the cover. If you close the cover, it simply turns the light off. If you push the power button shortly, nothing happens. To put PW to sleep, you must push the power button for several seconds to enter the white screen sleep mode. To restore normal behavior, a restart is required. If I get some time in the morning, I will add that to the Wiki.
Hi, thanks for this tip, I confirm that it works, you only have to type in the search bar of Paperwhite "~ds" to remove the screensaver
Vicente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 12:02 PM   #13
Andy_D
Connoisseur
Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
It shouldn't drain the battery quicker, as it only takes power to change the screen. To NOT change the screen would not take any power.
Of course even in sleep mode, "behind the scenes" activities such as indexing continue, but *additional* battery drain that occurs in ~ds mode that does not occur in sleep mode is the power required to operate the touch screen. The screen is non-responsive in sleep mode while it continues to detect taps in ~ds mode.

There is measurable additional battery drain when the device uses infrared touch detection. I'm not sure if the capacitive sensing method used on the older Kindles uses enough power to be an issue, but it has to use *some* power.
Andy_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 03:01 PM   #14
TDubKong
TDubKong began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Yes it does work. I am having trouble finding someplace that tells how to re-enable it without resetting my Kindle each time though.
TDubKong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 02:43 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
A reset is the only way.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disable sleep