Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-06-2012, 10:02 AM   #421
feenix1363
Lost and clueless
feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Glo, Kindle for Andriod, Kobo for Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by markino View Post
I notice a few people saying they prefer to keep the light on all the time.

Is there a setting or combination of settings that achieves this, even when the Glo puts itself to sleep? I can't make that work on mine. If I put it to sleep, then turn it on: light on, but if it puts itself to sleep and I turn it back on: light off. Annoying...
Not that I've seen yet. If it put's itself into sleep mode the wake up still works, but as you say, the light is turned off. And yes, it's annoying.

As a user that's come from the the T1 I'm sure that the dictionary is nowhere near as comprehensive as the one Sony use. But, it's still a great reader.
feenix1363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:00 PM   #422
markino
Connoisseur
markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Thanks feenix - yes, agree it's a good reader so far, all things considered (although I've only had it a couple of days). Very much as I expected - almost identical to the Touch, but with a light.

I also found the Touch pretty trouble-free, but not so good for reading in dim lighting, so - problem solved! Like almost everyone else, I could do with a lowest brightness setting that was lower still.

Copied all my books to the Glo using ADE. The only thing about that is losing all the database info about which books have been read and which haven't (on non-kepubs). Another mild annoyance. Waiting to hear back from Kobo "Tier 2" tech support regarding whether this is really beyond the wit of wo/man to accomplish.
markino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:01 PM   #423
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Unless you hack the database the read / unread / % read status on ePubs is lost.

And no; I have never tried the hacking of it for that purpose.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:22 PM   #424
thp1017
Connoisseur
thp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kobo, KT, KGlo, H2O, Libra
Is there a difference between the database structure for the Touch and Glo? I wouldn't have thought so...

If not, I don't see why you couldn't copy copy the DB over to your Glo - I've made backups of things before doing a reset a time or two, and was able to just copy everything back over (at least books, .kobo/images, and the sqlite file), and I was back exactly where I was before - read/unread books, reading time, etc.

I think as long as the DB is at least as new as the firmware version, you should be okay... obviously if there is something wrong with the DB, or significant differences between the two devices, this won't work, but I'm definitely planning on trying it when I get my Glo later this week!
thp1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:11 PM   #425
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
It sounds like Bookripper is more interested in an e-organizer than an e-reader.

IMHO, the Kobo is a best-of-breed e-reader, and there really aren't any good e-libraries available yet.

I'm also curious what it is that Bookripper wants to do with several thousand books on an e-reader. If the issue is research, almost any mobile computer will search and organize information a lot better and faster than any e-reader.

Last edited by EldRick; 11-06-2012 at 04:14 PM.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:19 AM   #426
markino
Connoisseur
markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thp1017 View Post
I think as long as the DB is at least as new as the firmware version, you should be okay... obviously if there is something wrong with the DB, or significant differences between the two devices, this won't work, but I'm definitely planning on trying it when I get my Glo later this week!
Interested to know how this works out...
markino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:15 PM   #427
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Question about the Wifi: my wifi works fine on my Glo but I was wondering why I don't have the 4 bars icon when my Glo is on wifi. Instead I see 3 bars that are empty and the 4th bar is thinner. Just like in this picture.
Anyone knows why ?

Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:38 PM   #428
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kobo
I wonder if the battery being fully charged would make a difference?
wrenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:40 PM   #429
Woodstonian
Connoisseur
Woodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the party

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
Question about the Wifi: my wifi works fine on my Glo but I was wondering why I don't have the 4 bars icon when my Glo is on wifi. Instead I see 3 bars that are empty and the 4th bar is thinner. Just like in this picture.
Anyone knows why ?
Quexos ... I see the word "Connecting" at the top of the screen. Mine shows the same 4th thin bar until "Connecting" goes away, then it switches to the regular 4 bars. Appears to be working as designed.
Woodstonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:41 PM   #430
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
The bars / antenna are showing signal strength. The more bars the better
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:58 PM   #431
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I don't know why but I never noticed that so far. I just did now, silly me. The thing is I usually turned on the wifi and immediately made an update or synch. But the synch completed and I still did not have the 4 full bars. This time I went to the store and after "connecting" for a few seconds I did get the 4 bars, go figure ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodstonian View Post
Quexos ... I see the word "Connecting" at the top of the screen. Mine shows the same 4th thin bar until "Connecting" goes away, then it switches to the regular 4 bars. Appears to be working as designed.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:29 PM   #432
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodstonian View Post
Yes, it doesn't show signal strength until it has connected. Kinda makes sense as you might have more than one Wifi available, and until you connect to one, it doesn't know which one to show the strength of.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:11 PM   #433
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
Kobo is now available in the US - I just bought a Glo at the main Powells store in Portland. They have a guy out front with a demo table, flogging the Kobos, and have stock of Glo and Mini, Mini snap-on backs, and the Sleepcover for the Glo.

I love the screen. The touch is nice - gives a bit of resistance to swiping and tactile feedback.

Sitting next to my Sony 950, even with the light off, there is no comparison. The Glo has brighter background and darker text with the light off.

The higher resolution of the Glo screen is noticeably better on text, and there is almost no mottling or coloration with the light on, and no bad pixels, etc. The Sony is going on eBay ASAP.

The range of light levels needs to be adjusted in firmware. At the highest setting, you could use the light for a flashlight, and at the lowest setting it is a bit too bright for reading in the dark.

The text adjustments seem more definite than on my Mini - Sharpness and Weight settings seem to make more difference. My only single gripe about the Glo so far is that the text sizes need to be changed slightly, for closer adjustment in the middle of the range - if the settings now correspond to 9-point, 10-, 12-, and 14-point, they should include 11- and 13-point. As it is, there are too many uselessly-large and way-too-tiny sizes, and not enough fine-grained control in the middle range - it would be nice to get a couple of extra lines on the screen without using too-small type.

So far, it's the best e-reader I've tried.

Last edited by EldRick; 11-08-2012 at 05:15 PM.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:48 PM   #434
thp1017
Connoisseur
thp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kobo, KT, KGlo, H2O, Libra
Quote:
Originally Posted by markino View Post
Interested to know how this works out...
Worked like a charm I ended up copying .kobo/images (so it wouldn't have to regenerate those, or put the placeholder covers in), .kobo/KoboReader.sqlite, and of course the books - and it came up exactly at the same place in a book I was reading, reading stats/books read are all correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldRick View Post
As it is, there are too many uselessly-large and way-too-tiny sizes, and not enough fine-grained control in the middle range - it would be nice to get a couple of extra lines on the screen without using too-small type.
Yeah, I absolutely agree - I seem to want in between two existing font sizes

I have had the device freeze up on me a few times. I've been able to consistently get it to freeze by connecting it to my laptop, but not selecting connect or cancel right away, and then I have to reboot the thing. Not a huge deal, since telling it to connect immediately prevents the problem, but still frustrating.

In general, though, it does look like a great device, and upgrade to the Touch.
thp1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:33 PM   #435
mcrmama
Addict
mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I got the Glo a couple of weeks ago and love it. The light is great. I rock my son in a rocking chair at night and was not using my reader very much as it was harder having to deal with a book light so I ended up reading on my ipod touch most of the time. Now he asks me to get my book, lol.

I do have a question. How do you bookmark a location. Let's say I am reading and I bookmark where I am so I can check on something earlier in the book. If I tap the right hand top corner, I see a dog ear so I think this is bookmarking the page but I can't see how to get back to it again. I can't seem to find this answered anywhere.

Thanks,

Jodi
mcrmama is offline   Reply With Quote