Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-03-2010, 09:36 AM   #31
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I have a Sony Touch which I think is 6 " diagonally.
I love it but would like a a slightly wider screen instead of a longer one.
Still it barely goes in my jacket pocket as it is.
I am surprised they don't sell a better way of carrying it on a hot day for those of us who don't do purses or briefcases etc.
Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:43 AM   #32
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I prefer the larger screen on the Kindle DXG. I read on a K1 for two years and enjoyed it but I have been in heaven since I bought my DXG. I find that I can hold it in one hand and it travels just fine.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 04:58 PM   #33
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
6" is ok for novels and the same.
Magazines and science books would be better viewed on a bigger screen like KDX, PocketBook 902/903 and the like.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 05:07 PM   #34
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I like my 6 inch screen for reading fiction, but I wouldn't mind a larger screen. 9.7 would be great for my PDFs / journal articles, and 8 inches might be a nice compromise (still easily portable, but large enough to read a scanned text, for example). Unfortunately, only iRex makes readers with 8 inch screens (as far as I know).

Last edited by Latinandgreek; 09-03-2010 at 05:13 PM.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 05:10 PM   #35
JeremyZ
Addict
JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Kindle 2, Samsung Galaxy Stellar phone
I'm happy with it, because:

a) The reader is very portable, and
b) Because the text size can easily be changed.

Sometimes, I'd be happier with a larger screen, but not often.
JeremyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 05:25 PM   #36
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
6" is the bare minimum for me.
I would prefer 8" like iRex iLiad but from Sony
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 05:37 PM   #37
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
6" is the bare minimum for me.
I would prefer 8" like iRex iLiad but from Sony
I think I will throw a party the day Sony comes out with an 8 or 9.7 inch reader!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:34 PM   #38
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
8" is so much better, especially if it has the outside dimensions like the Irex 800. Even great for real newspaper and pretty good for PDF. Unfortunately nobody else makes them the same way.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 11:17 PM   #39
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
I think I will throw a party the day Sony comes out with an 8 or 9.7 inch reader!
That reader would cost one thousand dollars.

(At least, judging by Sony's current idea of pricing.)
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 11:56 PM   #40
wachuko
eBook Worm
wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/ Sony PRS-505/PRS-600 Silver/PRS-T1
Happy with the size of my PRS-600... but not the quality of the screen (really hated giving my 505 to the wife)... can't wait for the PRS-650 where all that is fixed (based on the comments of those that have seen it).

Anyway, easy to take anywhere, can read it while holding it with just one hand, etc... all the positive comments mentioned before.
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 06:03 AM   #41
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
I need at least 7 inches to be happy. I thought I was satisfy with 6 since my 1st reader in 2007 was the PRS-505 and then the Kindle 1 & 2. Since I added the Sony PRS-900 in January, it has become my primary reader (still very portable since it's smaller than my Kindle 2). Now I think the ideal screen size for me is 7 to 8.1 inch screen. With the PRS-950 coming, I will finally get rid of my beloved PRS-505 and make the PRS-900 a back-up for the PRS-950. The Kindle 2 is on a long term loan to my nephew (he had it since March and it does not look like he has any intention of giving it back and I'm not asking for it).
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 06:34 AM   #42
Scott Nielsen
Groupie
Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: iPad, K3, K4, T1
Does the menu-bar at the bottom take real estate from the 7" or is it, somehow, a separate panel? If it is part of the 7", does that mean that, in reality, the readable screen is similar to a 6" Kobo or Kindle?

I must say that if the 950 screen really is as good as other pearl screens, the 950 is just so very tempting to me. Even at that price. I very much like the narrow but long (high) screen.

Though I'm not a fan of touch screens generally speaking, the device s/w seems a step up on the Kindle. Is there a way to change page turns from a swipe (do not like) to a single tap as on the iPad?
Scott Nielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 02:43 PM   #43
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
For me 6 inches seems too small, but I've just measured the diagonal of text in a paperback and it's almost exactly six inches, so my perception is wrong. And the thought of trying to hold up an 8 inch screen - I'd need a crane.
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 04:57 PM   #44
cmdahler
Addict
cmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notes

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I'd like to see a slim form-factor ereader (read: no idiotic keyboard or wide sides around the screen) that had a screen large enough to accommodate a text block 7.5" inches tall by 4.25" wide. In other words, the typical text block on a hardcover book. The Kindle DX is a bit overkill - these proportions leave a fair bit of margin around the text, but it works better for 8.5 x 11 PDFs, so perhaps that's best.

The other necessity for me before I would ever be attracted to a separate e-Ink reading device, though, would be to double the pixels per inch. Amazon's DX is at 150, hardly better than the iPad's (133). The Sony's are 170, which is somewhat better, but still only a marginal improvement. I need a screen the size of the DX with at least 300 ppi before I'll think it's worth it to cart around another device. That would measure out at 2400 x 1650 pixels on the DX, as opposed to its current 1200 x 824. At that point, I would be seriously impressed enough to plunk down cash for it.
cmdahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 05:31 PM   #45
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
I find it odd that most e-readers do not the same length to width ratio as the text in most books. The ones I've seen usually are proprotionately wider. An exception is Augen's The Book. That one appears to have a ratio closer to that of the text of most books (including headers and footers). Pity the thing has to have that superfluous (for me, anyway) keyboard, rendering it too long to fit in my purse without a pound of grease and a crowbar.

One thing that is interesting is that my 5" JBL has a screen that, when in landscape, is about an inch wider than the text in most paperbacks (with the exception of many of the oversized paperbacks that seem to be so popular now).
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote