Notices

View Poll Results: How to proceed with serious off-topic discussions
Add a new section "Salon" under Miscellaneous 89 80.91%
Add a new thread prefix "Keep it Sensible" to the Lounge 21 19.09%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-31-2009, 12:09 PM   #166
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
If a thread I started was going off topic - and it bothered me that it was - then I would have no qualms about asking politely for it to be kept on topic, irregardless of who had sent it off topic. Why on earth would it be a problem? I've seen enough of the people here to suspect that most would respond to a polite request.

(I think that's the key, btw - asking politely; rather than demanding curtly as I've seen once or twice.)
This is not possible since it assumed you continously read MobileRead. If you read once a day and then have 100 off topic posts then the you cannot split the thread to get it back on topic.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 12:14 PM   #167
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
I didn't know this was possible - and I'm definitely not interested in the possibility of doing it - but I don't understand why it should be a problem, since, I assume, the hypothetical people who'd do this would probably not be interested in the Lounge anyway?
I am interested in reading and sometimes participating in threads in the lounge. But I want to read other threads first. And since I read by searching the only way I can prioritize is to exclude the lounge (which I unfortunately have done recently for user interface reasons). So for the search reason I voted for a separate forum. Maybe I should add a button only searching the lounge also.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2009, 01:09 PM   #168
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
I honestly don't understand it; it's not as if anyone wanted to get rid of the lounge or change it. What I got from the other thread, was some people wanted a place where the general tone were more focused on serious discussions than generally for the Lounge. For whatever reason people may have, not everyone is happy with that level of social banter, and I think that is okay. I don't understand why people should feel resentful (that is the feeling I get from the recent discussion). Seriousy, honestly, I'm feeling bewildered why it should be a problem?

Why should it be? You'd be more than welcome to join in, if you like The new section should just be a place with a different tone than the Lounge - not better, not worse. Just different
My sentiments exactly...
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 01:11 PM   #169
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
This discussion is heading in a direction that Alex was fearful might happen and that is "Us vs Them" in trying to make a decision. After a lot of discussion amongst the moderators, we decided to have this poll and get the feel of the members.

1) It is not us vs them, it is us and how we can be sensitive to all members and their desires.

2) It is not silly versus serious, it is about having places that we can do things in the forum that we like to do and having a convenient way to sort them all out.

3) There isn't going to be any moderation of threads to make sure they are either silly or serious. That's up to the members to police for themselves. The moderators are going to be watchful of disrespect and flaming that is out of hand and will step in only in extremely severe and blatant cricumstances. Like they always have.

Please try to keep in mind that this is about opening up possibilities and expanding opportunities, rather than being about anger.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 03:14 PM   #170
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
This discussion is heading in a direction that Alex was fearful might happen and that is "Us vs Them" in trying to make a decision. After a lot of discussion amongst the moderators, we decided to have this poll and get the feel of the members.

1) It is not us vs them, it is us and how we can be sensitive to all members and their desires.

2) It is not silly versus serious, it is about having places that we can do things in the forum that we like to do and having a convenient way to sort them all out.

3) There isn't going to be any moderation of threads to make sure they are either silly or serious. That's up to the members to police for themselves. The moderators are going to be watchful of disrespect and flaming that is out of hand and will step in only in extremely severe and blatant cricumstances. Like they always have.

Please try to keep in mind that this is about opening up possibilities and expanding opportunities, rather than being about anger.

Beautifully said, pshrynk.

Thank you.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2009, 03:56 PM   #171
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
I thought the Big Red H was for Hunk? Damn, lied to again
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 04:04 PM   #172
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Quote:
Umm, singling out DGma seems a little uncalled for?

If a thread I started was going off topic - and it bothered me that it was - then I would have no qualms about asking politely for it to be kept on topic, irregardless of who had sent it off topic. Why on earth would it be a problem? I've seen enough of the people here to suspect that most would respond to a polite request.

(I think that's the key, btw - asking politely; rather than demanding curtly as I've seen once or twice.)
No offense intended. I'm just saying I wouldn't mess with DG.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 07:48 PM   #173
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
No offense intended. I'm just saying I wouldn't mess with DG.
I leave for a few hours and look what happens.

What the heck have I ever done to make people think I'm going to hit them with a stick??? Oh. Wait. Never mind.

Let me repeat for the umpteenth time. If I should ever hijack a thread, and someone really wanted to keep it on track, all it takes is a single request. I have broad shoulders and can take a simple smack on the hand.

I"m sure that would go for everyone on this board, except for trolls, and those can be dealt with by a mod.

Okay, have your serious discussions, describe the threads however you want. The decision has been made, and all thats left is the implementation.

Now, I can't wait to see some of these topics.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 07:51 PM   #174
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
This is not possible since it assumed you continously read MobileRead. If you read once a day and then have 100 off topic posts then the you cannot split the thread to get it back on topic.
Sure it is. If a topic isn't allowed to get off topic to begin with........that is, the first time someone posted 'off topic' and it was asked that people stay "on topic" the topic would stay "on topic" thruout.......(honest, that made sense in my head)
Old 03-31-2009, 07:54 PM   #175
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I could still ask for it to go back on topic. It might be harder for that to be achieved, admittedly, but one could still ask
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 07:56 PM   #176
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
You're absolutely right! And my previous post here should have been more general in asking all participants to please keep on topic and avoid the chit-chat. Sorry DGma, I shouldn't have phrased it that way.

And I'm sorry if I've made any comments that are off topic to this discussion.

WDE.
There are no need for any apologies. No offense was taken. Big Hug to you!
Old 03-31-2009, 08:00 PM   #177
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Umm, singling out DGma seems a little uncalled for?

Thank you, shorty, for defending me. I know WDE didn't mean it personally, and yes, I can't figure out why the 'request' mode isn't being seriously considered.

However, the deed is done, as they say, and we all need to move on and not waste any more time arguing. Lets just look forward to some of these conversations that are sure to evolve.......
Old 03-31-2009, 09:38 PM   #178
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
I'd like to offer that I like the idea of Option #1. Adding a forum for somewhat more serious stuff seems like a very useful notion.
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 11:58 PM   #179
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
However, the deed is done, as they say, and we all need to move on and not waste any more time arguing.
I couldn't agree more.

The poll has ended. Of those who voted, almost 75% were in favor of adding a new forum while leaving the lounge intact as it is.

We will work on adding the new forum today.

Thanks again everyone for participating in the poll. Your feedback is what matters most to us!
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 02:56 AM   #180
YGG-
Dry fruit
YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Bookeen Opus + HTC Desire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Thank you, shorty, for defending me. I know WDE didn't mean it personally, and yes, I can't figure out why the 'request' mode isn't being seriously considered.

However, the deed is done, as they say, and we all need to move on and not waste any more time arguing. Lets just look forward to some of these conversations that are sure to evolve.......
And, DG, I do appreciate your contributions to this forum (silly or not).
YGG- is offline   Reply With Quote