Notices

View Poll Results: How to proceed with serious off-topic discussions
Add a new section "Salon" under Miscellaneous 89 80.91%
Add a new thread prefix "Keep it Sensible" to the Lounge 21 19.09%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-31-2009, 10:28 AM   #151
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
[QUOTE=kazbates;413310]Perhaps the original and subsequent posters didn't want to stifle the flow of words within the Lounge thread. I would much rather start a serious discussion in a thread designed for that rather than try to censor the posts of others in a forum thread that was more free flowing.

And thats not "exclusion"

"Please don't bother us........we're having a serious discussion here!"
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:55 AM   #152
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post

Nope it's more of.... come on and join us if you want to talk about this topic... we'd love to have you.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2009, 10:59 AM   #153
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Nope it's more of.... come on and join us if you want to talk about this topic... we'd love to have you.

BOb
Would you expect to see many smilies peppering the posts?
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 11:01 AM   #154
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post

BOb
Exactly! Thanks, Bob.

And as I've learned that there is more flowing underneath this topic than I had originally been aware of, this is my final post on the subject.

Kaz
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 11:07 AM   #155
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazbates View Post
Perhaps the original and subsequent posters didn't want to stifle the flow of words within the Lounge thread. I would much rather start a serious discussion in a thread designed for that rather than try to censor the posts of others in a forum thread that was more free flowing.

Kaz
I have to agree with Kazbates, and assuming the Lounge was the only forum, which one of you has onions big enough to tell tell DesertGrandma to keep it on topic?
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2009, 11:17 AM   #156
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Desertgrandma, silliness is not appropriate in this discusussion nor is inane blather, so please keep on topic.

Thankyou, WDE.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 11:35 AM   #157
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
The "H"'s are causing divisiveness and hard feelings?

How about insisting on a separate place to "discuss serious things without having to wade thru silliness", when a simple request to "keep it on topic" might do the same thing? "
Had anyone even thought about doing that?
You see, this is why I voted for the separate place. Not to avoid any silliness or threadjacking that might go on; but to easily be able to avoid an area where these things are not appreciated if I'm not in the right mood for ultra-seriousness. Tags really don't help me in that respect, as I just ignore them. Neko's and DGma's suggestion of leaving things as they are and respecting any request from the OP to get back on topic would be ideal from my pov, but I'm getting the feeling that it wouldn't be enough for some.

For those who would like to get involved in some of the more silly side of the lounge, but feel a bit intimidated or think it's a bit cliquey I have this to say:

Jump in.

It may take a short while to get a feel for things, but that's true of any area of any forum.

It may also take a short while to feel comfortable there, but again, that's true of just about any group situation - on fora or IRL.

I'm writing this from the perspective of having once been that person. Yes, there is a lot of shared history, but if you're not sure what some-one's talking about - ask. You won't be belittled or made fun of. You may be pointed at enough threads and posts to keep you reading til the following morning. What I can't guarantee, of course, is that you'll get on with everyone - we are (even the mods ) all human, and some of us may have personalities or views that conflict with yours too much. But again, that's true of every situation where you come into contact with people - some you like, some you don't, some you're indifferent about.
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 11:40 AM   #158
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
The red 'H' did take me a little aback when I noticed it - it was suddenly all over the place and it felt like a campaign. The red H's made me feel that some people are really upset and angry about this.

I honestly don't understand it; it's not as if anyone wanted to get rid of the lounge or change it. What I got from the other thread, was some people wanted a place where the general tone were more focused on serious discussions than generally for the Lounge. For whatever reason people may have, not everyone is happy with that level of social banter, and I think that is okay. I don't understand why people should feel resentful (that is the feeling I get from the recent discussion). Seriousy, honestly, I'm feeling bewildered why it should be a problem?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazbates View Post
Perhaps the original and subsequent posters didn't want to stifle the flow of words within the Lounge thread. I would much rather start a serious discussion in a thread designed for that rather than try to censor the posts of others in a forum thread that was more free flowing.

Why should it be? You'd be more than welcome to join in, if you like The new section should just be a place with a different tone than the Lounge - not better, not worse. Just different.

BTW. I think Conservatory could be a good name. I don't have any better suggestions
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 11:43 AM   #159
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
I honestly don't understand it; it's not as if anyone wanted to get rid of the lounge or change it. What I got from the other thread, was some people wanted a place where the general tone were more focused on serious discussions than generally for the Lounge. For whatever reason people may have, not everyone is happy with that level of social banter, and I think that is okay. I don't understand why people should feel resentful (that is the feeling I get from the recent discussion). Seriousy, honestly, I'm feeling bewildered why it should be a problem?
Precisely - very well put. Nobody is going to do ANYTHING to the Lounge; it will continue precisely as it is. Nobody is being excluded; indeed, the purpose of this is entirely the opposiite, and the results of this poll (4:1 in favour of a new forum) show that there is a large majority in favour of such a thing.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 11:45 AM   #160
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Precisely - very well put. Nobody is going to do ANYTHING to the Lounge; it will continue precisely as it is. Nobody is being excluded; indeed, the purpose of this is entirely the opposite.
Except possibly exclude it from their new posts listing.

WDE.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:46 AM   #161
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
I have to agree with Kazbates, and assuming the Lounge was the only forum, which one of you has onions big enough to tell tell DesertGrandma to keep it on topic?
Umm, singling out DGma seems a little uncalled for?

If a thread I started was going off topic - and it bothered me that it was - then I would have no qualms about asking politely for it to be kept on topic, irregardless of who had sent it off topic. Why on earth would it be a problem? I've seen enough of the people here to suspect that most would respond to a polite request.

(I think that's the key, btw - asking politely; rather than demanding curtly as I've seen once or twice.)
Old 03-31-2009, 11:52 AM   #162
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
I don't understand why people should feel resentful (that is the feeling I get from the recent discussion). Seriousy, honestly, I'm feeling bewildered why it should be a problem?
Personally, I thought it was a shame that the idea for a new forum was based on such explicit rejection, and criticism, of the Lounge. It seemed a rather negative way to set about it.

I'd have preferred to focus on what a new forum could add to what we already have, rather than belabour the perceived shortcomings of what others are currently contributing to.

But we are where we are, and I don't see any reason why we can't make the arrangement work.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 11:55 AM   #163
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
Umm, singling out DGma seems a little uncalled for?
You're absolutely right! And my previous post here should have been more general in asking all participants to please keep on topic and avoid the chit-chat. Sorry DGma, I shouldn't have phrased it that way.

And I'm sorry if I've made any comments that are off topic to this discussion.

WDE.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:58 AM   #164
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
Except possibly exclude it from their new posts listing.

WDE.
I didn't know this was possible - and I'm definitely not interested in the possibility of doing it - but I don't understand why it should be a problem, since, I assume, the hypothetical people who'd do this would probably not be interested in the Lounge anyway?
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 11:59 AM   #165
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
You're absolutely right! And my previous post here should have been more general in asking all participants to please keep on topic and avoid the chit-chat. Sorry DGma, I shouldn't have phrased it that way.

And I'm sorry if I've made any comments that are off topic to this discussion.

WDE.
Oh bah - you're deliberately taking me out of context