Notices

View Poll Results: How to proceed with serious off-topic discussions
Add a new section "Salon" under Miscellaneous 89 80.91%
Add a new thread prefix "Keep it Sensible" to the Lounge 21 19.09%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-30-2009, 06:46 PM   #121
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
May I just point out here that this request came from the MR membership not from the ownership. Also, by the poll it seems there is a demand for a separate area.

We have never been totalitarian here and are not about to start.

BOb
Point well taken. I did not mean to imply it was originated by ownership, altho I see that it looks that way, and I certainly apologize if I offended anyone by my bad choice of wording in that respect.

I am well aware of how the demands started, and perhaps that should have been addressed as 'authoritarian'.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:05 PM   #122
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Also, by the poll it seems there is a demand for a separate area.
Going by the poll, a separate area is preferred over a tag in the Lounge. The poll does not include an option "leave forum areas and tags unchanged, but ask people to respect serious posts/threads if needed," so there is no way to evaluate whether that option would have been preferred by the membership.

However, on the basis of the poll, there are a considerable number of people (albeit an unknown percentage of the active membership) who wish for a separate area, and I would not begrudge them their wish.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:28 PM   #123
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Hi, desertgrandma:

Right now, many of us are working on coming up with a title and a descriptor, which I encourage all interested parties to contribute to - if they so desire.

Your voice is indeed important.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:21 PM   #124
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Descriptors:

1) "On-Topic Discussion unrelated to e-books and mobile devices."

2) "Various Discussion unrelated to e-books and mobile devices."

----

Names:

1) Perspective
2) Focus
3) Viewpoint

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:04 PM   #125
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Hi, desertgrandma:

Right now, many of us are working on coming up with a title and a descriptor, which I encourage all interested parties to contribute to - if they so desire.

Your voice is indeed important.

Don
Hello, Dr. Drib.

I'd like to make sure I"m perfectly clear on this.

You (group of members) have decided that you need your very own threads in which to post, without the intrusion of the silliness/hijacking which happens sometimes?

Of course, anyone can participate in these threads, providing they stay strictly on topic.

Is that correct?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 02:52 AM   #126
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Hello, Dr. Drib.

I'd like to make sure I"m perfectly clear on this.

You (group of members) have decided that you need your very own threads in which to post, without the intrusion of the silliness/hijacking which happens sometimes?

Of course, anyone can participate in these threads, providing they stay strictly on topic.

Is that correct?
That's basically correct, yes. Many people feel that the Lounge is not a place that's condusive to serious discussions and have requested a separate forum for that purpose. Please let me stress that absolutely nothing whatsoever is being done TO the Lounge - it will continue exactly as it always has done.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:11 AM   #127
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Point well taken. I did not mean to imply it was originated by ownership, altho I see that it looks that way, and I certainly apologize if I offended anyone by my bad choice of wording in that respect.

I am well aware of how the demands started, and perhaps that should have been addressed as 'authoritarian'.
I don't think anyone is trying to be authoritarian or dictatorial.

It takes all kinds of people to make a community and the greatest achievement of MobileRead is that the majority of the people who post here feel that sense of community whether they like to be silly or not. Having two separate places to post where there are clearly defined guidelines, one geared more toward lightheartedness and the other more toward seriousness allows people to have a choice. No one is trying to restrict anyone from posting anywhere. To be honest, I am not "aware of how the demands started" but can't see the harm in the new forum.

I am sorry to see all the red "H"'s, though. I've bragged to my college-aged kids about how considerate and caring the posters to MobileRead are and I feel like the "H"'s are causing divisiveness and hard feelings.
Kaz
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:28 AM   #128
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Red H's? Sorry, what's that about?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:31 AM   #129
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazbates View Post
Having two separate places to post where there are clearly defined guidelines, one geared more toward lightheartedness and the other more toward seriousness allows people to have a choice.
I think serious topics will still be discussed in the Lounge, so it will be interesting to see how the new forum develops. (In my mind I'm imagining the new forum as appealing to members who have their sense of humour on a tight rein, and the Lounge for those who don't mind letting theirs have a gallop - but I could be wrong.)

Quote:
I am sorry to see all the red "H"'s, though. I've bragged to my college-aged kids about how considerate and caring the posters to MobileRead are and I feel like the "H"'s are causing divisiveness and hard feelings.
Kaz
I think some people were a bit miffed about how the Lounge (and those who post to it) were characterised in the original discussion.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:35 AM   #130
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Red H's? Sorry, what's that about?
See this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43684
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:39 AM   #131
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
For those who missed it, the discussion regarding whether or not o introduce a new section is in this thread.
Edit: I added this because it seems that peple are asking all over again 'why' - probably it would be better to read the thread and discuss there?

@harryT; a lot of red H's has appeared in a number of people's avatars. I don't what it is about, but a guess could be this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scarlet_letter - though it's an A not a H. In any case, I'm not sure it's something nice.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:54 AM   #132
YGG-
Dry fruit
YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Bookeen Opus + HTC Desire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
[...] There are heaps of members who don't currently participate in discussions, and it would be great to hear from more of them.[...]
Zipf's "law" : out of 100 persons who happen to get on a forum
  • 1% contribute frequently
  • 9% contribute irregularly
  • 90% lurk & don't contribute
(My experience entirely, from numerous other forums; & I've been in the first, second & third position myself!
(Check yourself : difference between number of posts and number of readings)

Last edited by YGG-; 03-31-2009 at 08:56 AM.
YGG- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 09:08 AM   #133
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Quote:
I think serious topics will still be discussed in the Lounge, so it will be interesting to see how the new forum develops. (In my mind I'm imagining the new forum as appealing to members who have their sense of humour on a tight rein, and the Lounge for those who don't mind letting theirs have a gallop - but I could be wrong.)
-> I agree completely! For further clarification, the new forum would give the original posters a choice to post their topic somewhere where it is understood that all subsequent posters should refrain from digressing to silliness. On the side of the coin, if someone posts a topic in the Lounge, they should do so with the understanding that the discussion could move toward the obscure.

Quote:
I think some people were a bit miffed about how the Lounge (and those who post to it) were characterised in the original discussion.
-> Well...that is just silly! Perhaps I am naive, but I never got the impression from any of the posters that they were denegrating the Lounge or those who post there. They were just looking for a place where they could post their topic without the discussion deviating too far from the point. Frankly, that happens a lot in the Lounge and I can understand how that would be frustrating to the original poster or others trying to be a part of that discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
For those who missed it, the discussion regarding whether or not o introduce a new section is in this thread.
Edit: I added this because it seems that peple are asking all over again 'why' - probably it would be better to read the thread and discuss there?

@harryT; a lot of red H's has appeared in a number of people's avatars. I don't what it is about, but a guess could be this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scarlet_letter - though it's an A not a H. In any case, I'm not sure it's something nice.
-> Thanks, EA. I did know of that thread and have contributed to it, but I got the impression that there might be more to it than that.

Kaz
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 09:17 AM   #134
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
-> Well...that is just silly! Perhaps I am naive, but I never got the impression from any of the posters that they were denegrating the Lounge or those who post there.
You must have missed the term "karma whore". It was used at least once in this discussion..
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 09:22 AM   #135
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
The "H"s refer to the imagined punishment of posters that hijack a thread, that is their avatar is stamped with a large red H for "Hijack".
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote