Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-17-2009, 11:54 AM   #1
vally
vally has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vally has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vally has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad wifi 64gb
PRS 700 Has anyone in UK bought one?

I am thinking about buying PRS 700.

Has anyone in UK bought one. If it came from overseas could you give me an idea of the total cost (inc postage and duties)

The only place I can see for sale in UK is a company called Bite Size Deals but apparently they are not based in UK and there are some very bad reviews about them on another forum

I don't think there is a release date yet for the 700 in the UK.
vally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 04:33 PM   #2
lmcosorio
lmcosorio began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-700
Hi,

I'm from Portugal and just bought the SR 700 from ler-e (Apollo XXI) Spain. They have a wonderful service and i was impressed by the very fast shipping.

I've found their site trough the wiki.

Thanks,

Luis
lmcosorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2009, 07:06 PM   #3
ballyculter
ballyculter began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS700
I bought the PRS700 from the Sony Style Store in New York a couple of weeks ago. It's $399 + tax. I've imported personally all the previous Sony e-book models so have had a Sony Reader - starting with the PRS500 - for over three years. Sony will not ship to the UK from their US store. If you have a contact in the US you could get it shipped to them and sent on. The guarantee is an issue as well. For repairs the Reader has to be sent back to the US and you need a US address. That said I've had no problem with any model so far.
ballyculter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 08:19 PM   #4
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
I got my 505 from B&H, who do have the 700 in stock but I can't recall how much P&P and Duty were, I'm afraid!
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 06:11 AM   #5
dragonbone
must love dogs
dragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone 32GB 3GS, iPad 64GB WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by vally View Post
I am thinking about buying PRS 700.

Has anyone in UK bought one. If it came from overseas could you give me an idea of the total cost (inc postage and duties)

The only place I can see for sale in UK is a company called Bite Size Deals but apparently they are not based in UK and there are some very bad reviews about them on another forum

I don't think there is a release date yet for the 700 in the UK.
Do you know the price for the 700 dropped $50 today??

BTW, I'm in Japan and bought my 700 off eBay.com, with 1 year insurance from a Sony authorized dealer (who ships internationally).
dragonbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2009, 07:30 AM   #6
RufusA
RufusA began at the beginning.

Device: none
If you are ordering in the UK, I'd second the recommendation for B&H.

When I attempted to work out the cost it was something like this:

PRS700 - $349
Shipping - $53
International Warranty - $47

Total = $449

If it gets a similar commodity code to a computer / pda then it will be import duty free, however there is still vat to pay on machine and shipping (warranty should be vat exempt).

349 + 53 *.15% = $60

The grand total is $510 = £360

You may also get a customs handling fee (typically £10-15) depending on who delivers it in the UK - the bill for the VAT / handling fee can arrive weeks after the item is delivered! If you are lucky you may not get charged for them at all.

For me the PRS700 was too much of a price premium over the PRS505. Particularly as I managed to get a new PRS505 on eBay for under £140! The added risk of having to post back to the US for returns and the unknown quality of the screen, dust issues etc. was too much of a gamble.

For that sort of money you are nudging in to IREX territory, which you can see handle in the flesh!

HTH - Rufus.
RufusA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 03:11 AM   #7
vally
vally has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vally has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vally has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad wifi 64gb
Thanks for information on PRS-700

Thanks to all of you for your replies.

Having now costed it out with all the duties , Vat etc I think I will wait until it is released (hopefully) in the UK.

I will just have to be patient!
vally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 06:01 AM   #8
michaelj
michaelj began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
PRS 700

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballyculter View Post
I bought the PRS700 from the Sony Style Store in New York a couple of weeks ago. It's $399 + tax. I've imported personally all the previous Sony e-book models so have had a Sony Reader - starting with the PRS500 - for over three years. Sony will not ship to the UK from their US store. If you have a contact in the US you could get it shipped to them and sent on. The guarantee is an issue as well. For repairs the Reader has to be sent back to the US and you need a US address. That said I've had no problem with any model so far.
I also bought one in the US but cannot register it on my computer, the software provided says it is not valid for my region and therefore I am unable to download any books to it. May I ask how you managed to do this.

Regards
michaelj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:30 AM   #9
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelj View Post
I also bought one in the US but cannot register it on my computer, the software provided says it is not valid for my region and therefore I am unable to download any books to it. May I ask how you managed to do this.
The quickest approach would probably to use Calibre instead.

There've been a few reports about the Sony software region-checking, but I'm not sure if there's a definate answer about what it does, as in most cases it doesn't seem to & many of us are running the US version on UK systems. Maybe see if you can uninstall & then try the downloadable version from the US site, just in case there's a difference?
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:16 PM   #10
wpk123
wpk123 began at the beginning.

Quote:

Regards
I live in Malaysia and registered my recently bought PRS700 by using a US address (my cousin's ) but I would guess any address will do. Don't know how it will affect warranty claims though.
wpk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:20 AM   #11
michaelj
michaelj began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
PRS 700

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpk123 View Post
I live in Malaysia and registered my recently bought PRS700 by using a US address (my cousin's ) but I would guess any address will do. Don't know how it will affect warranty claims though.
Thank you to you and to Gwynevans for your help. I do have a genuine address in the US and registered with the US site, deleted 2.3 and reinstalled 2.5 and all works well now. I also have an address in Europe which complicated matters. Thank you once again.
michaelj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:28 PM   #12
wpk123
wpk123 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Thank you to you and to Gwynevans for your help. I do have a genuine address in the US and registered with the US site, deleted 2.3 and reinstalled 2.5 and all works well now. I also have an address in Europe which complicated matters. Thank you once again.
Glad I could help. Enjoy your ereader. I am mine!
wpk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 12:59 AM   #13
ballyculter
ballyculter began at the beginning.

I've had no problems in using my PRS-700 in the UK. I guess I've now had it for a few months. I can both use the Sony e-book store - where a Visa card is accepted even with my full address with just the country set to the US - and Waterstones.

I have more generic problems with the 700. Because of the touch screen you need to use the backlight which reduces the battery life dramatically - which was never as good as Sony suggested anyway. Also in the UK e-books from Waterstones tend to cost more than the paper versions from Amazon including delivery!
ballyculter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 04:14 AM   #14
tarq
Enthusiast
tarq began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Tungsten E, Sony 700
Is it possible to d/l 'kindle' ebooks from amazon.com to use with a Sony in UK?

Do they work, or is the format wrong?
tarq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 10:19 AM   #15
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarq View Post
Is it possible to d/l 'kindle' ebooks from amazon.com to use with a Sony in UK?

Do they work, or is the format wrong?
Wrong format. And you can only buy Kindle books if you own a Kindle.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote