Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 04-26-2015, 06:35 PM   #946
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
@Rev. Bob, I send you a PM with the small changes I've made for the jacket at the end of the book.
@Rev. Bob - FYI - I took Terisa de morgan's Modify PI for a test drive of its 'jacket at the back' feature - works for me It's better than my lost one, which didn't provide a tick-a-box option.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 07:26 AM   #947
Tanjamuse
Wizard
Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

is there a way to make a custom column to auto-fill when I've run the Modify epub plugin?
Tanjamuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2015, 08:03 AM   #948
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanjamuse View Post
is there a way to make a custom column to auto-fill when I've run the Modify epub plugin?
No, but not a bad idea, maybe the custom column could be a timestamp.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 10:10 AM   #949
Tanjamuse
Wizard
Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

and perhaps a yes/no column?
Tanjamuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 10:48 AM   #950
Wiekje
Wiekje began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Remove embedded fonts

I used Calibre Modify Epub before to remove embedded fonts, but now I get a failure. I downloaded Modify again, restarted Calibre, but the failure is coming.
I see this at show details:

Modify ePubs
Logfile for book ID 7 (De Eerste Wet 3 - De val van een koning / Joe Abercrombie)
Modifying: C:\Users\jan\AppData\Local\Temp\calibre_fnthj0\l44 xcq_modify_epub\7.epub
Parsing xml file: OEBPS/content.opf
Parsing xml file: OEBPS/toc.ncx
Looking for embedded fonts
Looking for css @font-face style declarations
Looking for inline @font-face style declarations
ePub not changed after 3.60 seconds

I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. It worked before.
Wiekje is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2015, 11:06 AM   #951
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiekje View Post
I used Calibre Modify Epub before to remove embedded fonts, but now I get a failure. I downloaded Modify again, restarted Calibre, but the failure is coming.
I see this at show details:

Modify ePubs
Logfile for book ID 7 (De Eerste Wet 3 - De val van een koning / Joe Abercrombie)
Modifying: C:\Users\jan\AppData\Local\Temp\calibre_fnthj0\l44 xcq_modify_epub\7.epub
Parsing xml file: OEBPS/content.opf
Parsing xml file: OEBPS/toc.ncx
Looking for embedded fonts
Looking for css @font-face style declarations
Looking for inline @font-face style declarations
ePub not changed after 3.60 seconds

I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. It worked before.
I believe the PI expects a fully (font) validated book.
Look at the book with the editor, check that it validates

You may have a broken book:
Only fragments of a previous 'Font' inclusion remain (left dirty)
Font files missing the/wrong declaration in the OPF
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 12:02 PM   #952
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
There could be font-family declarations in the ePub without having @font declarations and sometimes you really don't want to remove them all or even at all.

You really should not just willy nilly remove fonts. The way to do it is to look at the CSS and see what's what. Sometimes you get like monopsace or sans-serif fonts defined for very specific reasons. So have a look before removing embedded fonts and/or specified font commands.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 12:50 PM   #953
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There could be font-family declarations in the ePub without having @font declarations and sometimes you really don't want to remove them all or even at all.

You really should not just willy nilly remove fonts. The way to do it is to look at the CSS and see what's what. Sometimes you get like monopsace or sans-serif fonts defined for very specific reasons. So have a look before removing embedded fonts and/or specified font commands.
+1
This is one of the few cases I totally agree with JSW

Fonts is a case where I wish the PI had a user specified condition list to apply to 1)the CSS, 2) EPUB

Remove TTF, OTF font files: X, Y, Z /* reader has those installed. redundant*/
Leave family types: monospace, italic
Replace with: TNR>GentianBas /*fix readability issues */
Update (import replacement) CharrisSIL /*from a configured source folder */
generic only /* strip reference to named fonts from CSS. leave basic types :italic, monospace */
Old 05-18-2015, 03:03 PM   #954
Wiekje
Wiekje began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
I tried it again with another book and it worked. Finally.

Don't know how because I already had tried another book. But I'm happy now.

What you all said above is really abracadabra to me.

But thank you for responding.
Wiekje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 06:33 PM   #955
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiekje View Post
I tried it again with another book and it worked. Finally.

Don't know how because I already had tried another book. But I'm happy now.

What you all said above is really abracadabra to me.

But thank you for responding.
What you should try is loading the eBook into Calibre's editor and having a look at the CSS to see what's going on with fonts before stripping anything out. Just doing so could end up with a problematic read. For example, the eBook The Martian makes very good use of different font styles such as monoapsce and if you were to remove this, you would spoil the book because of the way the different fonts are used. They are used very well when the monopace font is used, it is used for a specific purpose that without loses how the book works.

So if you don't understand CSS/XML, go learn. Don't just dive in and remove things you don't understand.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 05:48 AM   #956
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
The plugin's pretty handy in removing all the Adobe cruft in an ePub, but I buy a lot of books from Google Play and removing the Google Play cruft via Sigil is a bit tedious.

IME Google Play adds two kinds of cruft:

1. Unreferenced anchors which look like page numbers. e.g. this regex

Quote:
<a id="page.*"></a>
2. Non-displayed divs containing empty and unreferenced "GBS" anchors. e.g. this regex

Quote:
<div style=display: none">\s*
<a id="GBS.*"></a>\s*
</div>
Please add an option to remove these!
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 03:26 PM   #957
Ashfall
Ashfall began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I just started trying out "Strip Kobo DRM Remnants" when I found that it's modifying epubs that were never a kepub and have no Kobo artifacts at all. I ran a comparison and confirmed that the changes are not related to Kobo DRM.

Examples:

Code:
Before:
<meta content="jacket" name="calibre-content" />

After:
<meta content="jacket" name="calibre-content"/>
Code:
Before:
<div class="calibrerescale"></div>

After:
<div class="calibrerescale"/>
Opening the epub in Sigil reverses these because I have "clean on open" enabled. (I like it prettied when I'm editing in Sigil). So I'm getting the false impression from the plugin that 80% of my library has Kobo DRM to remove, when it's more like 2%.

These changes are also made with the de-indent and strip-spans options. Including it in Strip Kobo DRM as well is redundant and misleading I think. Would it be possible to remove this, so that Strip Kobo DRM does that and nothing else?
Ashfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 04:45 PM   #958
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashfall View Post
I just started trying out "Strip Kobo DRM Remnants" when I found that it's modifying epubs that were never a kepub and have no Kobo artifacts at all. I ran a comparison and confirmed that the changes are not related to Kobo DRM.

Examples:

Code:
Before:
<meta content="jacket" name="calibre-content" />

After:
<meta content="jacket" name="calibre-content"/>
Code:
Before:
<div class="calibrerescale"></div>

After:
<div class="calibrerescale"/>
Opening the epub in Sigil reverses these because I have "clean on open" enabled. (I like it prettied when I'm editing in Sigil). So I'm getting the false impression from the plugin that 80% of my library has Kobo DRM to remove, when it's more like 2%.

These changes are also made with the de-indent and strip-spans options. Including it in Strip Kobo DRM as well is redundant and misleading I think. Would it be possible to remove this, so that Strip Kobo DRM does that and nothing else?
All it did was replace a optional self closing tag. Since not all tags CAN BE self closing, the coding is simpler this way
Old 07-02-2015, 06:31 PM   #959
Ashfall
Ashfall began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
All it did was replace a optional self closing tag. Since not all tags CAN BE self closing, the coding is simpler this way
I realize what it did. I'm just suggesting that it shouldn't do this.
Ashfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 10:06 PM   #960
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisridd View Post
The plugin's pretty handy in removing all the Adobe cruft in an ePub, but I buy a lot of books from Google Play and removing the Google Play cruft via Sigil is a bit tedious.

IME Google Play adds two kinds of cruft:

1. Unreferenced anchors which look like page numbers. e.g. this regex

2. Non-displayed divs containing empty and unreferenced "GBS" anchors. e.g. this regex

Please add an option to remove these!
It's in the works!
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
modify epub