Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 01-12-2011, 08:48 PM   #1
sammieb77
Edge User

Using Table of Contents

Anyone have directions on how to create table of contents in the PE? I'm trying to set it up for school but I don't know how to set up a table of contents.

Thanks for your help =)

Old 01-12-2011, 09:55 PM   #2
alefor
Edge User

The easiest way is to get a copy of Adobe Acrobat Professional, which allows you to create bookmarks in a .pdf file. Then download the .pdf to the eDGe and you have a table of contents. I'm sure that there are other ways as well.

Advert
Old 01-12-2011, 10:08 PM   #3
cheyennedonna
Edge User

There are free tools to create bookmarks in PDF's http://jpdftweak.sourceforge.net/
http://flavianopetrocchi.blogspot.com/

Old 01-13-2011, 02:19 PM   #4
aidren
Edge User

There is also PDF Studio (windows, mac & linux). Standard version $60, Pro version $95.

http://www.qoppa.com/pdfstudio/

I've played with it a bit and it seems to be very good. A fairly robust software. It's shortcomings are:- no ocr and it can't optimize. It only saves in the same pdf version of the file you are using. It's the only third party editor I've found that does bookmark/toc other than Acrobat Pro. (I use a mac). One of it's advantages is:- it is capable of exporting and importing annotations in .fdf and .xfdf formats. This is something I wish Entourage would implement. It would be huge. It would mean we could move our annotations to a pdf file on a desktop application and save them. Acrobat Pro does this as well.

Regarding the optimizing, I am looking at a small software that is made to do this.

If you just want to create a TOC within the Edge Reader, you can hilight the Heading you want, but then you have hilights in your text. If you don't want a markup to show, you can select the pencil tool, choose white as the colour and underline the heading. The drawback to this is that you would have to key in a title in the annotation dialogue box. Pretty labour intensive.

Neither of these methods are heirarchical and will not migrate with your file if you remove it from the library.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:27 PM   #5
sammieb77
Edge User

Thanks, but I guess what I mean is that when I am using the tablet side and I have made a journal and tagged it with the class that I am using it for I can 'long press' on the journal. It gives me a few options, one of them being 'table of contents.' When I click table of contents, there are pictures near the top of the screen. I don't know what the pictures mean.

I want to be able to make a notebook of sorts for each class with a table of contents: Syllabus, notes, recordings of lectures, etc.

Speaking of which, how do you use the voice recorder? lol
Thanks for all the help.

Advert
Old 01-13-2011, 09:31 PM   #6
fgruber
Edge User

To create table of content in journals: In the journal go to the page where you want to create the bookmark.
Press on the menu icon with the pen.
Then press on the page menu.
Then select edit tab
write a name press Add

Repeat for every page

Now when you select table of content for a journal you will get the different names that you added

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammieb77 View Post
Thanks, but I guess what I mean is that when I am using the tablet side and I have made a journal and tagged it with the class that I am using it for I can 'long press' on the journal. It gives me a few options, one of them being 'table of contents.' When I click table of contents, there are pictures near the top of the screen. I don't know what the pictures mean.

I want to be able to make a notebook of sorts for each class with a table of contents: Syllabus, notes, recordings of lectures, etc.

Speaking of which, how do you use the voice recorder? lol
Thanks for all the help.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:12 PM   #7
sammieb77
Edge User

Okay, I'll try it. Thanks =)

Old 01-14-2011, 08:01 PM   #8
sammieb77
Edge User

Got that completed. Isn't there a way to "link" the pages to the table of contents that I have created?