Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 08-18-2011, 05:25 PM   #1
Gogolo
Addict
Gogolo has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DR1000S, Nook ST (rooted), Kobo Aura one (ksm)
Chess on DR1000

I know not a lot of people are porting anymore for the DR1000, but Id so like to play chess on it (miss my iLiad for this).

Would it be hard? Id be very thankful

Gogolo
Gogolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 06:11 PM   #2
Iņigo
Guru
Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: iRex iLiad, iRex DR800S. K4NT. Kobo Aura, Aura One, Libra 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogolo View Post
I know not a lot of people are porting anymore for the DR1000, but Id so like to play chess on it (miss my iLiad for this).

Would it be hard? Id be very thankful

Gogolo
Take a look at this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...76#post1087976
Iņigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2011, 03:20 AM   #3
Gogolo
Addict

Thanks! I read you have a version running, although with bad refresh? Could you upload it? Thanks again.
Gogolo
Old 08-19-2011, 05:04 AM   #4
Iņigo
Guru
Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Quote:
Thanks! I read you have a version running, although with bad refresh? Could you upload it? Thanks again.
Gogolo
Can't find it.
I'll try to port again next week.

Iņigo
Old 08-19-2011, 06:02 AM   #5
Gogolo
Addict

Thanks a lot!
Gogolo
Advert
Old 08-19-2011, 07:57 PM   #6
fekhner
Addict
fekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: DRs, EE, ipad/iphone, Helix
If you are really desperate to get a board on the screen and are happy with any (ugly) solution, you could try to follow the previous thread on DRebian and install instead of gimp both eboard and gnuchess. ( I run into a fatal error with xboard even though the board appears on the screen and looks quite nice). They will be installed in /usr/games which is not in the path. You can get the board up for instance by typing ./eboard from within /usr/games. Then you should choose "generic engine" to play against the appropriate version of gnuchess. Note that I still have problems moving the pieces around with the pen, they somehow won't stick. Anyway, this is how far I have come ...

But even if you get everything working in the end, it is a lot of stuff to install. For instance you must have usbnet working and be sure to have IP forwarding correctly set up. [On a MAC, this requires to tick "internet sharing" in Preferences, Sharing. ]

Of course this is a far cry from a direct port of just xboard and gnuchess with proper integration (separate tap) into Iņigo's DR800+ or Mackx's patch of the rc3 firmware, like e.g. dima_tr's port of xmahjongg.
fekhner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 03:21 PM   #7
Gogolo
Addict

Thanks, but I know nothing about Linux, so.....

Gogolo
Old 08-22-2011, 11:05 AM   #8
Iņigo
Guru

Hi,

I lost my previous chess port when I destroyed my old DR development virtual machine.
Anyway, I started again and see the same issues I mentioned in the other thread.

backend:
- gnuchess v5.0.7 ported ok, v6.0 crashes

frontend:
- xboard: needs old X libraries (Xaw, Xpm, Xmu) which I've been able to port after some work, but it also needs old X font rendering subsystem. Thus, it's not a viable option
- eboard, gnome-chess, ...: complex frontends with many dependencies

Anyway I've found a small front end called linechec (http://linechec.sourceforge.net/) that I've been able to compile easily, with only a few modifications.
It's in French and the UI is not good for the DR screen, it would need some work to adapt.

I think the best option should be to develop a new tiny front-end to gnuchess, specific for DR devices.

Iņigo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chess-1.png
Views:	367
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	75649  
Old 08-22-2011, 12:20 PM   #9
Gogolo
Addict

Oh this sounds great. Would you like to post your result?

Would it be difficult to adapt the frontend - I do not know much about linux but I would surely try.

Thanks
Gogolo
Old 08-22-2011, 02:38 PM   #10
Gogolo
Addict

If it is the frontend which is required here are some more I found. Maybe this can be of help for you.

CSBoard or here

CBoard or here

Here are some more. Maybe KBoard there

Gogolo

Last edited by Gogolo; 08-22-2011 at 02:50 PM.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:47 PM   #11
Iņigo
Guru

Quote:
If it is the frontend which is required here are some more I found. Maybe this can be of help for you.

CSBoard or here

CBoard

Here are some more. Maybe CSBoard there or KBoard

Gogolo
CSboard is mono-based -> so we would need to port mono before... more than a huge task.
Cboard is console based -> not a good candidate for a device without keyboard
Kboard is KDE based -> DR uses gtk+/GNOME libs, so no way either

Iņigo
Old 08-22-2011, 02:57 PM   #12
Gogolo
Addict

Ok, it was a try

I cant find any more frontends...

Greetings
Gogolo
Old 08-22-2011, 03:01 PM   #13
Iņigo
Guru

Gogolo, I have the feeling that maybe you could be interested in https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=147354