Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-15-2013, 11:00 AM   #16
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
As you gain years and position, you get to offer advice.

If you don't want Facebook, and in particular if you are younger and feel you must offer a reason, then here are a few lines:

"I see too many people spending too much time on Facebook. I prefer to work and then have a "actual earthbound existence" for my social time. If you wish to see my "creds" check out my Linkedin page."

"I got uncomfortable with some of the people I had to deal with."

"Who has the time?"
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:01 AM   #17
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's probably largely a generational thing. I suspect that far fewer people in the 50+ age group (of which I'm a member) have FB accounts than is the case for the under 25s.
Of the people I know, a greater percentage of the 50+ are active on facebook than those under 50. It is a great way for grandparents to keep up with their grandchildren who live far away, and to keep connected with old friends who are no longer as easy to contact.

The lowest percentage appears to be in the 30-40 year age range. Too busy living life to post about it I guess.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:29 AM   #18
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I wouldn't care about Facebook one way or the other (I'm not on it, lots of people I know are) except for the e-mails I get from various companies offering me freebies or discounts or other promos if I "like" them on Facebook. I find this extremely annoying, especially because they usually don't mention FB in the e-mail; only after I waste time clicking through do I find out I can't participate.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:33 AM   #19
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
As long as there are people out there smart enough to use company independent communication solutions I'm fine with networking with them. There are mail, irc and forums. They existed before AOL, MySpace or fb. Independent communication assures it still works, even if a node says goodbye and THIS is the idea behind how the Internet was designed. That's what I'd literally tell everyone regardless of their position when questioned about my means and methods of communication. It's the way the others do it that leads the concepts behind the net ad absurdum.

Re nontechnical methods of social networking: my connector doesn't follow cat-5 standard it's still bio interface running with male-to-female protocols.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:43 PM   #20
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
---

Re nontechnical methods of social networking: my connector doesn't follow cat-5 standard it's still bio interface running with male-to-female protocols.
That sounds promiscuous.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:12 PM   #21
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
I'm 20 and my friends are between the ages of 20 and 23 and like I said in my earlier post we have neither. So I'm not sure it's a generational thing as I know people in their 40s and 50s who have Twitter accounts. People always assume that I have a Twitter account and when I tell them I don't they get really surprised as though they expect me to have one.
Gazella did you all make a conscious decision not to use Facebook and Twitter?

Or was it more in the line of just not bothering to get an account without really going through the pros and cons?

I see that you're in Abu Dhabi, is Facebook and Twitter commonplace amongst the general population there?

Has the government made its voice known re what it thinks of Facebook and Twitter generally?

Just curious ....

(PS: my decision not to have a Facebook account was a very conscious one)

Last edited by Lynx-lynx; 07-15-2013 at 11:18 PM.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:17 PM   #22
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
That sounds promiscuous.
Just as well Freeshadow hasn't posted any pics of this, eh!!
Old 07-15-2013, 11:37 PM   #23
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Every few months, I see some nifty group activity on Facebook and consider getting an account. Invariably, a week or two later, I hear of some new privacy-invading policy that horrifies me.

I'm looking forward to the erosion of Facebook as the dominant social site on the internet.

(I have a twitter. I post about once a month, mostly links to ebooks I've read that I intend to review someday.)
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:01 AM   #24
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I happily use Facebook; I just don't give them my real name or real details. Histrionic articles shrieking at me about how stupid I am for using Facebook which now knows everything, EVERYTHING about my private life just leave me shrugging and switching off.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:49 AM   #25
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post

I happily use Facebook; I just don't give them my real name or real details.
Me too!

And no phone number either.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:49 AM   #26
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I happily use Facebook; I just don't give them my real name or real details. Histrionic articles shrieking at me about how stupid I am for using Facebook which now knows everything, EVERYTHING about my private life just leave me shrugging and switching off.
So Meera it seems that you didn't have much regard for Facebook's privacy and security protocols at the time you joined.

And you think the aticle is 'histrionic' for pointing out some fairly obvious pitfalls........
Old 07-16-2013, 02:07 AM   #27
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
So Meera it seems that you didn't have much regard for Facebook's privacy and security protocols at the time you joined.

And you think the aticle is 'histrionic' for pointing out some fairly obvious pitfalls........
This particular article is not much different from the thousands of others which came before it. While the body of the article is eye-rollingly overgeneral and inane, I object most strenuously to the headline. "YOU SHOULD..." is just plain irritating. No, no I shouldn't.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:47 AM   #28
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
I'm 46, I do have a FB account, but not in my real name and I only use it to stay in touch with a few friends.
Most people who i can't see face to face, I ring, text or email.

I don't like FB and I certainly don't trust it. A such I use it as little as possible.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:52 AM   #29
rkw
Old & Busted Hotness
rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0,Asus TF700T, K1-2-3-Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's probably largely a generational thing. I suspect that far fewer people in the 50+ age group (of which I'm a member) have FB accounts than is the case for the under 25s.
Yup, it right out of the Phillip-Morris school of business...hook'em while they're young. That way they are pre-conditioned. B-)
rkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:31 AM   #30
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
I have an account, but I never go to it anymore. I connected with an old friend from high school. We exchanged long private messages via Facebook to catch up over the years. She told me of a long Bavarian vacation they had taken. Next time I log on the ads along the side were for a Bavarian vacation. I thought, 'really, you scan private messages to pick adds to show?'' I haven't used facebook since. If only Eric Snowden went to work with Facebook!!! :-)
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote