Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

View Poll Results: Are you interested in this idea?
Yes 20 80.00%
No 5 20.00%
Undecided 0 0%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-26-2012, 11:46 PM   #1
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
Exporting annotations -could we hire a programmer?

Hi all

I was thinking about this crazy idea...what if we all collect money (let say one of us, Booxtor for example because somehow we all seem to trust him with our shopping) and hire a freelancer (here or somewhere else) and give him the task to write the utility to export the comments as we wish?
As many of use are interested in this feature we can give it a try. Rent a coder and other places like these work this way: you post a project you have in mind and either indicate how much you want to pay or let the programmers bid for getting your project.
Since this is a relatively simple task I believe we can find somebody to do it for a relatively decent amount ...what do you all think?
After the work is finished we can make if public here and make the sources free so than other can continue the work if the choose so....

I think this is doable with just small donations from not a very big number of people.

just an idea
PF
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 03:01 AM   #2
jbaach
Connoisseur
jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: prs 505, pocketbook 903, onyx boox m92
I like the idea. You would need a clear spec of what the new export utility should do, e.g. what makes a better export - what do you expect?
jbaach is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2012, 03:10 AM   #3
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
Good idea, but without cooperation of Onyx it might be costy. To my understanding, format is not known. Futhermore, format may change in future versions of firmware....

It might be simple to do the job even without apropriate info from Onyx, but it might be close to impossible.
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:26 AM   #4
PaulS
PaulS began at the beginning.

I only just got the device and I looked at their website and they seem to host everything on github (which is brilliant). Has anyone by any chance created a virtual machine image with the sdk and toolchains already installed?
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:51 AM   #5
Beryll Snyder
Banned
Beryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Nook classic, PB 903, Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by PF4Mobile View Post
you post a project you have in mind and either indicate how much you want to pay or let the programmers bid for getting your project.
Since this is a relatively simple task I believe we can find somebody to do it for a relatively decent amount ...what do you all think?
After the work is finished we can make if public here and make the sources free so than other can continue the work if the choose so....

I think this is doable with just small donations from not a very big number of people.

just an idea
PF
Ok, many users are interested, it is easy to achieve and cheap - why does Onyx then do it.
Normally companies make a good product and then try to sell it. In this case it seems to be upside down: the device is missing important functions and the customers are supposed to chip to improve the situation.
Under the usual conditions of the marketplace a company cannot stay for long in business ...
Beryll Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2012, 09:46 AM   #6
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Ok let's see how many of us are willing to contribute to this
@Beryll: As company you can do that once, solve a problem and you are done. The topic (why they don't or can't do it) can be commented endless. To give you a short answers: you do not build a company or a product with things like this. You can solve a one time problem this way but not all your problems this way.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:19 AM   #7
PaulS
PaulS began at the beginning.

I like this model. One of the reasons I chose iRex and now Onyx. Both with open source and closed source you don't have any say what the company does but with open source if I need something badly I can write it.
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:40 AM   #8
initx
Enthusiast
initx began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Nokia Lumia 800
But Guys, would you write this software for the Boox itself, or as a desktop app which can handle the annotation files of the Boox?

Btw. I think that the power of open source software is that programmers are not working for money but for personal feeling of success (i.e. a hobby). Even professional programmers are able to work thousands of hours on free projects just to feel that they contributed to the common somehow... I am afraid that such a job would cost such an enormous money, if we wanted to pay for it, that it isn't worth the money... And this would be indeed the responsibility of Onyx.
initx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:30 AM   #9
Beryll Snyder
Banned
Beryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Nook classic, PB 903, Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
I like this model. One of the reasons I chose iRex and now Onyx. Both with open source and closed source you don't have any say what the company does but with open source if I need something badly I can write it.
What you need badly should be in the product in the first place. This is a professional product that comes at a hefty price, not some alpha software where people humbly have to request that essential features may be implemented.

It seems also quite interesting that Onyx has nothing to say or contribute to a discussion like this.
Beryll Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:39 AM   #10
PF4Mobile
Guru

You can have Beryll's idealistic approach expecting to pay the money and get the finest ever product ignoring that you are looking at niche market products with specific features CRAFTED for you.
On the other side you can try to solve the problem the way I suggested. If you do not try you have 0 chances. If you try the probability is at least the flip coin probability (50%) that in the assumption that we do not know anything about what it takes to get this done.

As for the money you better have a look on sites like the one suggested, people are doing more difficult things for less than the price of an M92.

If we find enough people interested in this we can create a separate thread for the features we want from this small piece of software.

Last edited by PF4Mobile; 01-27-2012 at 12:09 PM.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:59 PM   #11
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

We will see what will be in final 1.7 firmware. Exporting annotations might be in it or the next one.

It would be nice if Onyx would provide info needed. Maybe it is somewhere in the sources already published....

The best thing might be to design the functionality (what do we expect, the things should work, the workflow of the whole annotation process). Then Onyx or someone else might program it.

Ideally program should handle bookmarks, annotations, scribbles in text, clippings ... For each category allowed operations shoul be defined and so on.

If you have a definition of the task, you have 2/3 to 3/4 of the work done. Programing itself is the easiest part of the job.

I describe it on example of hand scribles in text. It is already possible to create pdf with scribles added. That is OK, but I would like to have a possibility to create pdf only with pages where scribles are. Even better would be export of pdf with parts of pages where scribles are. But someone else might need to know the number of the page from which the 'clipping' was made. And so on. Also it would be nice to be able to 'travel' from scrible to scrible, to have scrible list, ....
Old 01-28-2012, 07:30 PM   #12
catharsis
Addict
catharsis began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR800SG, Onyx Boox M92
Is Xournal portable to the Boox? If yes, it would solve most of annotating problems.
catharsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:30 AM   #13
Mono
Mono

It is GNU sw for Linux systems. M92 is Linux system. So, I guess, it should be possible.

But I do not have experince with Linux and so I have no idea, how much work it is.

Anyway, it would solve only part of the problems. Sketching and annotating pdf. It does not support other doc types....
Old 01-29-2012, 01:53 PM   #14
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Late last year I contacted this company Qoppa Software with a similar idea.

Their PDF Studio has all the capabilities (and more) that everyone seems to want available in a linux package. They have an Android app qPDFnotes as well that does pretty much what is wanted for the Onyx reader .

Basically they would be willing to port a version for a reader if there was enough community interest. They have all the necessary linux tools/libraries to do it .

My contact there was

Gerald Holmann
Qoppa Software
+1 (404) 685-8733
www.qoppa.com
gerald.holmann@qoppa.com

in my opinion this would be a much better solution than an xjournal port if its actually doable.

thre is a video of the android app in operation http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of1rT4i0F_Q
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 02:40 PM   #15
mSSM
Connoisseur? Addict!
mSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with others

Device: Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
Late last year I contacted this company Qoppa Software with a similar idea.

Their PDF Studio has all the capabilities (and more) that everyone seems to want available in a linux package. They have an Android app qPDFnotes as well that does pretty much what is wanted for the Onyx reader .

Basically they would be willing to port a version for a reader if there was enough community interest. They have all the necessary linux tools/libraries to do it .

My contact there was

Gerald Holmann
Qoppa Software
+1 (404) 685-8733
www.qoppa.com
gerald.holmann@qoppa.com

in my opinion this would be a much better solution than an xjournal port if its actually doable.

thre is a video of the android app in operation http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of1rT4i0F_Q
I have had a look at that PDFStudio. It seems to be written in Java... are they willing to port it to Qt or how is that supposed to work? I don't think running a JVM on the M92 is feasible.

Also - what does community interest imply? Somebody willing to pay for this PDFStudio?
mSSM is offline   Reply With Quote