Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-29-2012, 07:11 AM   #1
chronosoft
chronosoft began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Kindle Touch - Trying to install Simple USBNet

Hi there! I've just finished jail breaking my Kindle touch (the one with special offers) using the MP3 hack and i'm tying to install the Simple USBNet mod (so i can ssh over to kindle via wifi), I've put the installer file in both the root directory and the documents directory, and ran ;un , and when i look under menu > settings i don't have the option for "Update Your Kindle"...

Any help would be much appreciated! Many thanks in advance.
chronosoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:49 AM   #2
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Are you sure the jailbreak worked? Newer Kindles have the MP3 bug fixed. Try the 5.0.3 jailbreak instead (it works with all currently known versions): https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind....tar.gz_method
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2012, 06:18 AM   #3
chronosoft
chronosoft began at the beginning.

Hmm... I'll give that a go, thanks!
chronosoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 02:45 PM   #4
kindl
kindl began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch 3G
Question here.
I installed USBNetwork 1.1 (with a BIN file)
Now I am connected to it by SSH over USB
I want to enable connecting over WiFi.
In Interbet I found that I need to edit some “usbnet/etc/config”
But I don't find such file on root partition.
Help me please to enable SSH over WiFi?

P.S. And I don't know how to edit files over SSH even if I find it
kindl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 02:47 PM   #5
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

RTFM
It's all in the wiki.
Advert
Old 02-11-2012, 04:33 PM   #6
kindl

Any link please?
I found the Kindle wiki: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/FAQ_Amazon_Kindle
But nothing on jailbreaking and usbnet.

The Sticky topic gives a link to "Guide to SSH into the Kindle with USBNetworking":
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...85&postcount=8

And the guide starts with "Install usbnet hack. Mount kindle and edit file \usbnet\etc\config". I am stuck between these two.
Installed. Now need to find out, where is the "\usbnet\etc\config" and if inside SSH, how to edit that (for those who were not born in the era of VI)
Sorry for newbie question.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:46 PM   #7
ixtab
(offline)

Oh come on. The link to the wiki is 2 posts above your question, and also in the very first line of the very first post of the very first thread of this forum ("Comprehensive list of Kindle Hacks/modifications").

Last edited by ixtab; 02-11-2012 at 04:51 PM.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:15 PM   #8
kindl

Great, thanks!
Now I know where is the file, and what to put into it.
I can create a file on Windows, copy to books drive, and CP it from there to root partition, but there might be some easier way to edit text files on kindle itself over SSH?
I doubt that they only put VI as an editor?
Old 02-11-2012, 05:17 PM   #9
ixtab
(offline)

They only put vi as an editor

You can install "extend" though, which would give you "nano" as an editor.
Or, you can use scp/WinSCP to copy files from/to the device over usbnet.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:27 PM   #10
kindl

Thanks! Done that.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:48 PM   #11
JustAMan
Groupie
JustAMan doesn't litterJustAMan doesn't litter

Hmm, why you doubt they put only vi? I wonder why they put even vi in there - I mean, man, this is e-reader, why they put some soft there that it's not visible to customer at all?
JustAMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 06:12 PM   #12
kindl

Just imagination )
Another question on USBNet
I configured USBNet to start automatically, with usbnetwork.conf
I configured SSH port 22 to be open on WiFi via iptables

If I reboot Kindle, when it is not connected, I can SSH from the start, but if I connect to USB, I don't see drive.
If it was connected, USBNet doesn't start, i need to reconnect, or start manually... And loose USB drive.

I want to have USB drive and Network over SSH. No need to SSH over USB.
Possible?

Last edited by kindl; 02-11-2012 at 06:14 PM.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:33 PM   #13
ixtab
(offline)

... then don't start usbnetwork automatically

Update: sorry, that was too fast. It seems like it's indeed impossible to have both the USB drive attached and WLAN working (WLAN seems to be killed on USB drive connect). However, you can still "disable" usbnetwork (no need to auto-enable it if you don't want it enabled, duh...). SSH access via Wifi should still work, as long as you don't plug the device to the computer. If you plug it in, Wifi is killed, but it will show up as a USB drive.

Last edited by ixtab; 02-11-2012 at 06:43 PM.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:34 PM   #14
JustAMan
Groupie
JustAMan doesn't litterJustAMan doesn't litter

Try using WinSCP, because I think what you request isn't possible without modifying the firmware.
JustAMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 06:56 PM   #15
kindl

It seems, if I delete/rename usbnetwork.conf (that I created, as Wiki says), SSH won't be available on reboot before I manually start ;UN