Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-01-2009, 05:17 PM   #1
sroys
sroys began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
DX not displaying "Google books" illustrations???

I just got my DX and went on a rampage dl'ing books that the folks at Google have digitized and turned into .pdf files. The problem that I ran into is that the Kindle DX won't display the illustrations in the pdf files. I think the problem is that they're .bmp images, which the DX won't handle (NOTE: that is my OPINION. If anyone knows different, I'm always ready to be enlightened).

So, my question. How do I get my DX to display the google pdf book, complete with images, without me having to convert every *&%$^ image one-at-a-time by hand? I have adobe acrobat 8, but I can't figure out any way to get the images to convert and or display.

Help, and thanks in advance!
sroys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 07:48 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by sroys View Post
I think the problem is that they're .bmp images, which the DX won't handle
Google books include a mixture of JBIG2 and JPEG2000 images, see Google Books: making the public domain universally accessible. These are often problematic on sub-par PDF viewers. Under Windows PDF95 can produce readable versions (at least for the iLiad), see problem opening pdf files from books.google.com (look at post #10).

Another possibility is to get the ePub versions from the Sony ebook store and convert them to MOBI using Calibre. I have not tried this, and I would be interested in hearing how well this works on the KDX.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2009, 09:28 PM   #3
sroys
sroys began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Thanks for the enlightenment - all I was going on was what acrobat was displaying compared to the dx for what looked to be a .bmp image. Regardless, it seems that using acrobat to "flatten" things fixes whatever the dx has problems with.

Steve
sroys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 12:24 AM   #4
ThomasC
Thunder Down Under
ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.

Device: kindle dxg, K3, K4nt, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by sroys View Post
I just got my DX and went on a rampage dl'ing books that the folks at Google have digitized and turned into .pdf files. The problem that I ran into is that the Kindle DX won't display the illustrations in the pdf files. I think the problem is that they're .bmp images, which the DX won't handle (NOTE: that is my OPINION. If anyone knows different, I'm always ready to be enlightened).

So, my question. How do I get my DX to display the google pdf book, complete with images, without me having to convert every *&%$^ image one-at-a-time by hand? I have adobe acrobat 8, but I can't figure out any way to get the images to convert and or display.

Help, and thanks in advance!
I just had this problem when I tried to copy a pdf book (originally from google books) from my k3 wifi/3G. This pdf book (an interesting 90 year old golf book, ~700kb that was scanned by Google books) displays fine on my k3 (and my Kindle for PC and normal adobe reader). However, when I tried to read it on my new Kindle DXG, none of the illustrations could be displayed, and I got a message on the bottom of my DXG screen that said; Some elements on this page could not be displayed.

I contacted Amazon CS with this problem but all they told me to do was to update my DXG software. I told them that I just got this new DXG last week with 2.5.5 and when I go to the kindle update page there are no updates available for my new series B009... DXG. Anyway, hopefully they will take this onboard and update the pdf reader on the DXG in the near future to match the K3's.

After lots of googling and looking at other forums, I found a solution that worked for me.

Download both the PDF995 convertor and print driver software from http://www.pdf995.com/ and install them both (it's free). Actually, I just downloaded and installed the convertor software first and it then told me that I would need to download/install the printer drivers and gave me an option to do this directly, which I did.

Pretty simple after this, you just open the pdf file and print it. Select the pdf995 as your printer and hit ok (do not select print to file). It will then go through a conversion process for a minute or two and bring up a typical save-to window to allow you to pick a location and filename (use a different filename that the original one if you want to keep it, I did).

Download this new pdf file to your kindle DXG (don't know, but probably k2's as well) and it should read fine, and include all illustrations. I found that the filesize went up from ~700kb to 2.9mb but it still seems to display page changes pretty fast on my DXG (but not as fast as on my k3).

A bit of a pain, but kind of fun to get it to work! This might also be a good temporary fix for those that are trying to read Asian formats on the DXG's, although I'm not really sure about this.

I'll try to include the pdf file that I had problems with to see if any higher-tech guys (and it would not take much) have a better/simpler solution. Of course the best solution is for Amazon to provide a much needed PDF update for the DXG.

Cheers,
Tom
Attached Files
File Type: pdf The Gate to Golf.pdf (703.7 KB, 319 views)
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote