Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 10-03-2012, 11:02 AM   #1
curiousgeorge
Connoisseur
curiousgeorge began at the beginning.

Device: ipad, Kindle Fire
Epub meta property

Im getting a lot of meta properties in the .opf file but per apple standards it will not validate and I was curious to know why?? I cant find any solid research on this so I thought id ask.

example:
Code:
<opf:meta property="dcterms:modified">
			2012-04-12T12:00:00Z
		</opf:meta>
I would say its a date tag but they already have it written in here as:
Code:
<dc:date>2012</dc:date>
curiousgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:36 PM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
What is generating these tags?
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2012, 03:08 PM   #3
mzmm
Groupie
mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: iPad, Kindle Touch, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge View Post
I would say its a date tag
it's not a date tag, it's a newly required property in epub3. apple requires both the date element and a meta element with the property dcterms:modified for all epub3s.

the date element in the opf should only be used to define the publishing date, whereas the dcterms:modified property is used to define the last time the content of the publication was updated (i suppose for creating updated versions of the same text after proofreading, debugging, etc).

so, if you're intending to produce an epub3, you should have something like
Code:
<dc:date>2000-01-01T00:00:00Z</dc:date>
<meta property="dcterms:modified">2011-01-01T12:00:00Z</meta>
in your opf.

i've never seen the <meta ..> prefaced by opf: (ie, <opf:meta ...></opf:meta>), though. where did that come from?

read all about dcterms:modified here: http://idpf.org/epub/30/spec/epub30-...-modified-date

Last edited by mzmm; 10-03-2012 at 03:49 PM.
mzmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:20 PM   #4
curiousgeorge
Connoisseur
curiousgeorge began at the beginning.

Device: ipad, Kindle Fire
i was wondering about the opf:, too. Its weird that it still validates on three sites but I would of imagined it should have been coded as dc:meta.
curiousgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote