Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-22-2024, 11:57 PM   #1
Tawn
Connoisseur
Tawn began at the beginning.

Device: kobo Libra 2
kobo price matches Amazon?

I read that the ISBN must match, but Amazon seems to be showing the same ISBN for the kindle version as the print version. The book's edition and publish date are the same. How do I determine if they the same content or not?

Here's the links if someone wants to offer an opinion:

https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/jav...nitive-guide-2

https://www.amazon.com/JavaScript-De...dp/B088P9Q6BB/

(Also kind of on the fence over whether to get a print book or ebook.)
Tawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 12:20 AM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawn View Post
I read that the ISBN must match, but Amazon seems to be showing the same ISBN for the kindle version as the print version. The book's edition and publish date are the same. How do I determine if they the same content or not?

Here's the links if someone wants to offer an opinion:

https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/jav...nitive-guide-2

https://www.amazon.com/JavaScript-De...dp/B088P9Q6BB/

(Also kind of on the fence over whether to get a print book or ebook.)
When I look at the pages, the Kindle edition has an ASIN but not a ISBN. However, a couple of times when I requested a price match, Kobo has matched the price based on the title/author/edition despite the Amazon ebook not showing a ISBN.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2024, 01:52 AM   #3
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
I've never had Kobo not honour their price match against a Kindle version. Taking a screenshot of the Amazon page is a useful thing to do, I've been asked for that once.
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 04:58 AM   #4
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisridd View Post
I've never had Kobo not honour their price match against a Kindle version. Taking a screenshot of the Amazon page is a useful thing to do, I've been asked for that once.

I have to fight for my price matches. I’ve never NOT had to prove it with a screenshot. As you say, screenshots are a very useful thing to get, especially if the Kindle sale is one day only and the Kobo rep gets your case after the sale has ended.

I always get the price match, but it’s been nothing but hoops to jump through.

I wonder what the difference is? Can I have you request my price matches from now on? 😂
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 09:31 AM   #5
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I couldn't be bothered with asking a price match. I just buy the Kindle edition if it's cheaper. I don't do direct downloads and all my books go into Calibre anyway, so begging Kobo to match the Amazon price would just be totally pointless for me.

I agree it can be a good option for someone who doesn't want to mess with removing the DRM and sideloading. But only using direct downloads does limit one's options as to where to get the books from.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2024, 11:42 AM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I've no idea how to ask Kobo for a price match. Like @Sirtel I just buy anywhere either DRM free or where I can remove DRM from (so a backup will restore and I can read on any device). So I just buy the cheapest and Download to PC (Linux actually).
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 11:46 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I couldn't be bothered with asking a price match. I just buy the Kindle edition if it's cheaper. I don't do direct downloads and all my books go into Calibre anyway, so begging Kobo to match the Amazon price would just be totally pointless for me.

I agree it can be a good option for someone who doesn't want to mess with removing the DRM and sideloading. But only using direct downloads does limit one's options as to where to get the books from.
But if it's an eBooks that should have hi-res images, then you do want the ePub as you get the full size images and with Amazon chances are you won't get the images in the correect size.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 11:47 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I've no idea how to ask Kobo for a price match. Like @Sirtel I just buy anywhere either DRM free or where I can remove DRM from (so a backup will restore and I can read on any device). So I just buy the cheapest and Download to PC (Linux actually).
Here is how you go about price matching at Kobo UK.

https://www.kobo.com/gb/en/p/pricematch-about

Last edited by JSWolf; 02-23-2024 at 01:30 PM.
Old 02-23-2024, 11:59 AM   #9
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Kobo give you 110% of the difference in credit, so it does make some $$$ sense to use the price match.
Old 02-23-2024, 12:02 PM   #10
chrisridd
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
I have to fight for my price matches. I’ve never NOT had to prove it with a screenshot. As you say, screenshots are a very useful thing to get, especially if the Kindle sale is one day only and the Kobo rep gets your case after the sale has ended.

I always get the price match, but it’s been nothing but hoops to jump through.

I wonder what the difference is? Can I have you request my price matches from now on? 😂
Ha! But actually I can't remember when I last price matched. Instead I've been taking advantage of Kobo having different prices and sales on their different country stores. I've got a little script which does all the price checking for me.
Old 02-23-2024, 01:31 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisridd View Post
Ha! But actually I can't remember when I last price matched. Instead I've been taking advantage of Kobo having different prices and sales on their different country stores. I've got a little script which does all the price checking for me.
Would you mind posting or linking your script? Thanks.
Old 02-23-2024, 02:53 PM   #12
Tawn
Connoisseur
Tawn began at the beginning.

Device: kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
When I look at the pages, the Kindle edition has an ASIN but not a ISBN. However, a couple of times when I requested a price match, Kobo has matched the price based on the title/author/edition despite the Amazon ebook not showing a ISBN.
Thanks. The ISBN is in the scroll box just below the initial description (and immediately above "Report an issue").

Quote:
This one's supposed to be DRM free. The kobo site lists "EPUB 3 (DRM-Free)". I was rather surprised/impressed with that. I don't mind sideloading, but I've no idea what format a DRM-free kindle edition would even be. Wasn't there some issue with needing an actual Kindle to get their books now?

Thanks to all. Sounds promising enough that I'll likely try for the price match.
Tawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 03:04 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
This one's supposed to be DRM free. The kobo site lists "EPUB 3 (DRM-Free)". I was rather surprised/impressed with that. I don't mind sideloading, but I've no idea what format a DRM-free kindle edition would even be. Wasn't there some issue with needing an actual Kindle to get their books now?
A Kindle edition is not truly DRM Free unless it's Mobi or KF8. KFX is not DRM free.
Old 02-23-2024, 03:04 PM   #14
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The easiest method is to have an actual Kindle registered to your account, and the format you'll get that way is DRM-free if the publisher wanted it so (you'd still need to convert for Kobo, however). There is also a method of using the Kindle for PC/Mac and the KFX Input plugin for Calibre, but the format you'll get (KFX) is always DRMed and needs to be disinfected before you can convert.

I was a Kindle user before I switched to Kobo and so I still have a few Kindles on my account, although I don't actually use them for reading. I've also used other methods to get Kindle books (Kindle for PC and the Bluestacks method), just because I like to keep my options open and removing DRM is important to me (I reread a lot). YMMV.
Old 02-23-2024, 03:10 PM   #15
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But if it's an eBooks that should have hi-res images, then you do want the ePub as you get the full size images and with Amazon chances are you won't get the images in the correect size.
I can put up with lower-res if the price is cheaper. The books I read usually have very few images (some maps, if that), so that's not an important issue for me.