Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-20-2010, 09:28 AM   #1
cjottawa
Tempus fugit.
cjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Keyboard
USB Disk Ejector

Mods: feel free to move this post if this isn't the best section for it. I'm still learning the forum structure. I searched and didn't find any reference to it so far.

If you're on a Windows machine, there's a VERY handy little freeware app that will make your life easier: USB Disk Ejector.

Download here:
http://quick.mixnmojo.com/usb-disk-ejector

If find Windows XP annoying in its "safely remove hardware" functionality so I keep a shortcut to this on my quick launch bar. This software may be irrelevant under Vista or 7 but I can't speak to that.

(I have no affiliation, I just use the software)
cjottawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 02:38 PM   #2
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Curious. In XP, all one has to do is go to the taskbar and click on the little Safely Remove Hardware icon for disconnecting a USB device. Why would one need this software?
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2010, 03:29 PM   #3
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Looks like spam to me.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 03:45 PM   #4
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

Device: kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjottawa View Post
(I have no affiliation, I just use the software)
Do tell.

Edit: Sorry.

Last edited by corona; 10-20-2010 at 03:58 PM.
corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 03:51 PM   #5
cjottawa
Tempus fugit.
cjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Curious. In XP, all one has to do is go to the taskbar and click on the little Safely Remove Hardware icon for disconnecting a USB device. Why would one need this software?
On my system, when I click the "Safely remove hardware" icon on the taskbar, I get a dialogue box that has multiple items for every hardware device.

Clicking the wrong one results in an error dialogue and the device not ejecting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
Looks like spam to me.
I used to work in the marketing department for an airline, now I'm with the government.

I can see how my posts are influenced by the marketing background; photos, links, flow, structure etc. Is that why you drew the conclusion I had a stake in the app I mentioned?

Here's what happens when I use the Windows XP "Safely Remove Hardware" taskbar icon - several dialogue boxes, each more obscure than the next:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corona View Post
Do tell.

Edit: Sorry.
No worries Corona.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CJOttawa's_Windows_remove_hardware.JPG
Views:	768
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	59996  

Last edited by cjottawa; 10-20-2010 at 04:03 PM.
Advert
Old 10-20-2010, 04:16 PM   #6
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
On my system, when I click the "Safely remove hardware" icon on the taskbar, I get a dialogue box that has multiple items for every hardware device.

Clicking the wrong one results in an error dialogue and the device not ejecting...
Curious. I haven't had that problem. I normally have only two items that show up on the menu: the USB storage device I had been using and the WiFi adapter. I have yet to click on the wrong one. Curiously, the wireless mouse and keyboard receiver, my printer, and my scanners never show up on that menu.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 05:46 PM   #7
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
cjottawa, sounds like you are RIGHT clicking on the usb icon. If you LEFT click, a little bar pops up with all the different usb drives, and you just click the one you want to disconnect. 2 clicks. kind of like 2 scoops of raisins, only different
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:03 PM   #8
cjottawa
Tempus fugit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravensknight View Post
cjottawa, sounds like you are RIGHT clicking on the usb icon. If you LEFT click, a little bar pops up with all the different usb drives, and you just click the one you want to disconnect. 2 clicks. kind of like 2 scoops of raisins, only different
Ah! Know what? You're right. I just confirmed left click pulls up the small bar.
Go figure! Carry on. Nothing to see here.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:08 AM   #9
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravensknight View Post
Yes, you get a list of the USB drives, and you have to guess (or look up) which drive letter you want to eject. I have a computer with several integrated card readers, and some of them always appear in the list, even if there's no card in them, adding to the confussion. Everytime I use XP (which is fortunatelly not often) I miss a more informative eject interface.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 12:33 AM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:

Clicking the wrong one results in an error dialogue and the device not ejecting.

I used to work in the marketing department for an airline, now I'm with the government.

I can see how my posts are influenced by the marketing background; photos, links, flow, structure etc. Is that why you drew the conclusion I had a stake in the app I mentioned?

Here's what happens when I use the Windows XP "Safely Remove Hardware" taskbar icon - several dialogue boxes, each more obscure than the next:

No worries Corona.
You are probably Right clicking, if you get that. (or possibly, show components is ticked)
Normal click and it is the simple click to stop the device.

BTW if you use a USB (could be internal connected) card reader: Do Not stop the device, you may have to re-boot to get it back. For individual cards, use windows explorer, and "Eject" the drive in question.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote