Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-18-2010, 04:47 PM   #1
miao2
miao2 began at the beginning.

Device: ebookreader
Calibre Question

Hi I am a huge fan of Calibre but I have a couple of questions.

How many books can the library contain and still open and search effectively.

Also is there a portable version available or a way to install and run Calibre from a portable hard drive.

Ive tried the FAQ's and the web and cant find any answers

Thanks in advance
miao2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 05:10 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
As far as I know there is no built-in upper limit. I have around 9000 in my library without any issues - and I have heard of others having 20-30K books.

There is not a specific "portable" version of Calibre. Having said that it is perfectly possible to run Calibre from a USB stick as long as you know what OS you are targetting. Which one are you interested in?
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2010, 06:01 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
As far as I know there is no built-in upper limit. I have around 9000 in my library without any issues - and I have heard of others having 20-30K books.

There is not a specific "portable" version of Calibre. Having said that it is perfectly possible to run Calibre from a USB stick as long as you know what OS you are targetting. Which one are you interested in?
The index number (never re-used) will probably be the limiting factor.
Anyone know what the upper limit of an SQLITE Integer is?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 06:50 PM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
The index number (never re-used) will probably be the limiting factor.
Anyone know what the upper limit of an SQLITE Integer is?
If by index number you mean the unique ID assigned to a book when it is created, don't worry. It is a 64-bit integer (I think signed), or 9,223,372,036,854,775,807. If I add a trillion books per day, I will run out of IDs in 25,000 years. Think I can live with that.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 07:04 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
If by index number you mean the unique ID assigned to a book when it is created, don't worry. It is a 64-bit integer (I think signed), or 9,223,372,036,854,775,807. If I add a trillion books per day, I will run out of IDs in 25,000 years. Think I can live with that.
Thanks, yes Calibre's unique index assigned ti each book(title)

You might want to get a few dozen Tera-byte drives and span them
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2010, 07:16 PM   #6
Demented
Connoisseur
Demented began at the beginning.

Device: DR800SG, Nook, Cybook Original
Kovid is starting pay more attention to optimizations for large collections. Prior to 6.47, calibre was dog slow with my 20k books. It's quite a bit faster now, somewhere around 100x. It still needs some tweaks on the jobs tab and maybe a better bulk conversion scheduler. I store my library and db file on my NAS and connect to it with multiple PCs.
Demented is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 07:40 PM   #7
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miao2 View Post
Also is there a portable version available or a way to install and run Calibre from a portable hard drive.
Look at this post for a discussion of making calibre 'portable'. itimpi provided a windows batch file documenting the various environment variables to set.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:51 PM   #8
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demented View Post
Kovid is starting pay more attention to optimizations for large collections. Prior to 6.47, calibre was dog slow with my 20k books. It's quite a bit faster now, somewhere around 100x.
Out of curiosity, how long does it take for calibre to start with that number of books? I ask because we just found and fixed a problem that changed my startup time from 3 seconds to 2 seconds for a 1000-book library. Given what was going on, the savings could be proportional to library size, but that would imply that for you, starting calibre could currently take in excess of 20 seconds. Does it?
Old 04-18-2010, 08:46 PM   #9
Demented
Connoisseur
Demented began at the beginning.

Device: DR800SG, Nook, Cybook Original
Prior to 6.48 it was a good 3-5 minutes. I've only tried it once since then, but it seems to have loaded nearly instantly. I'd guess the start up time bug was exponential and not linear. From what I read in the bug notes, it was more to do with inefficient sql queries that looped through the whole collection.

Last edited by Demented; 04-18-2010 at 08:48 PM.
Demented is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 11:40 PM   #10
miao2
miao2 began at the beginning.

Device: ebookreader
I don't know if this helps anybody else but I found a portible test version of Calibre. I googled it once I realized what I was looking for. I am not certain what the policy is on posting links so I am not going to post the link. However it was very easy to find.

I've just installed it so I don't know how well it works.

Thanks for all of the advice and information. It is really helpful
miao2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 04:09 AM   #11
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by miao2 View Post
I don't know if this helps anybody else but I found a portible test version of Calibre. I googled it once I realized what I was looking for. I am not certain what the policy is on posting links so I am not going to post the link. However it was very easy to find.
Instead of installing a portable test version of Calibre, you can use the "advanced" feature of the Calibre install to install the program to a USB key. Use the bat file and information in this thread that chaley pointed out earlier. This way you can keep your copy of Calibre portable and current.

Of course the portableapps version is is only a few versions old and you may be more comfortable with that path.

Good Luck!
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 12:48 PM   #12
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demented View Post
I'd guess the start up time bug was exponential and not linear.
(with apologies to the OP for the somewhat off-topic posts )

I was referring to another enhancement, not yet released. In the released version, at startup calibre loops through every line in the books view, displayed or not, to calculate that line's optimal height. Kovid said that this was needed in the past because sometimes lines were split. However, now all lines are the same height so it is sufficient to do the calculation on one line, then apply it to all the others.

Surprisingly, the loop took 1 second for 1000 books on my quite fast machine. I strongly suspect it is linear, so 20,000 books should take 20 seconds (on my machine). With the new code, that time is completely gone.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:43 PM   #13
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Surprisingly, the loop took 1 second for 1000 books on my quite fast machine. I strongly suspect it is linear, so 20,000 books should take 20 seconds (on my machine). With the new code, that time is completely gone.
With 14,000 books, my recollection is that it's longer than 14 seconds, but not a lot longer. Is the new code in the main development code available through bazaar?
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 02:05 PM   #14
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
Is the new code in the main development code available through bazaar?
Yes, as of 17/April.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:48 PM   #15
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Yes, as of 17/April.
Thanks. That's about the time of my last update, so I'll update again and see if I notice a difference. I keep Calibre running 24/7, so I don't notice startup delays that much.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote