Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-06-2009, 04:08 AM   #1
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Reuters - E-readers seen as holiday hit, presage tablet PCs

I searched quickly for this article here, but couldn't find it.

Quote:
SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Electronic readers could be the hottest gift this holiday season as a new crop of portable media devices begins to join iPods and other music players as must-have tech accessories.
http://www.reuters.com/article/techn...5915WJ20091002
Gaurnim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 04:36 AM   #2
Xerxes
Addict
Xerxes has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Astak EZReader, Pocket Pro
That's not hard to see.
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2009, 04:39 AM   #3
jeremy_ahn
Banned
jeremy_ahn began at the beginning.

Device: any
i wish i had friends who would get me an ereader for christmas.
jeremy_ahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 04:44 AM   #4
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
I'm wondering if Amazon will catch the holiday spending spree by launching Kindle outside the US. They're cutting it fine and the less insular competition seems to have a firm toe hold. If I could afford to buy readers for friends and relatives in the 'rest of the world' this year, I certainly wouldn't even consider Kindle. Like many other ebookworms who don't live in the United States, I feel rudely snubbed. Merry Christmas, Sony, CyBook, Cool-ER et al. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:27 AM   #5
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
While it wouldn't be a particular selling point for me, I think that the convenience of a reader with wireless built-in and a properly integrated bookstore would make me more likely to consider buying an ebook reader as a christmas present for a relative
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2009, 11:34 AM   #6
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Sorry to be a spoilsport, Crowl; but I honestly can't see much advantage to the wireless facility. In fact, after the Orwell fiasco showed up the possibility of remote interference with our reading, I'm a tad suspicious of it. Mind you, I've never tried it, so I may well be off beam. Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 11:49 AM   #7
Xerxes
Addict
Xerxes has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Astak EZReader, Pocket Pro
Wireless, and the dedicated bookstore almost makes it a no fly zone. Like Neil said, them just plucking stuff off the system would be extremely annoying although I figure that may never happen again. And I'm a bargain shopper. Only one store/option is like foreign concept.
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 01:09 PM   #8
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: MeeBook, Kobo Libra Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
I'm wondering if Amazon will catch the holiday spending spree by launching Kindle outside the US. They're cutting it fine and the less insular competition seems to have a firm toe hold. If I could afford to buy readers for friends and relatives in the 'rest of the world' this year, I certainly wouldn't even consider Kindle. Like many other ebookworms who don't live in the United States, I feel rudely snubbed. Merry Christmas, Sony, CyBook, Cool-ER et al. Neil
Sigh. I hate explaining this over and over, but the reason Amazon doesn't sell the Kindle outside the US is because the cell phone companies in the rest of the world are still not willing to work out a deal for the Whispernet service.

And while I'm here, regional restrictions are imposed by the *publishers*, not the sellers.

Believe me, American companies *love* to sell globally. That the ebook market hasn't caught up with the digital age is not Amazon's fault (or Fictionwise's or BooksOnBoard's).
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 01:12 PM   #9
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For my own use, I would tend to agree with you about the wireless, I'm perfectly happy with my sony as it is, but as far as giving a reader as a present to my parents, only having to do tech support for them on the reader itself and not the pc software as well would be a big plus point for me.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:35 PM   #10
Crowl
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
Sigh. I hate explaining this over and over, but the reason Amazon doesn't sell the Kindle outside the US is because the cell phone companies in the rest of the world are still not willing to work out a deal for the Whispernet service.
While talks may have failed in the past, there's been nothing about them trying again in a long time, whereas there have definitely been reports of european carriers having shown an interest in the ebook market quite recently.