Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 09-30-2011, 03:41 PM   #61
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
There's no need to sideload music. You just upload it to your cloud Player. The Cloud player when in use downloads the mp3 to your tablet or phone. It doesn't have to be Amazon purchase music.

I have no idea on videos. We will have to wait and see.
Good luck with that when you're not within range of wifi. There IS a need to sideload stuff.
gweminence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 03:47 PM   #62
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweminence View Post
Good luck with that when you're not within range of wifi. There IS a need to sideload stuff.
Like all things that is dependent on your personal needs. I have a Xoom with 3G which I pay for a data plan on and during the 6 months that I've had it, I've used the 3G capability a total of 2 times for some 10 mins or so and it's not like I don't use it -- I put 4-8 hours a day on it - at home, and work primarily but also at various retail establishments that offer wi-fi.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2011, 03:57 PM   #63
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Seeing I seldom leave home that is not a problem for me. I have 3G on my phone so I could tether if I had to probably.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 04:21 PM   #64
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Voyage
That's fine...for you. But there patently is a need for the ability to sideload. Luckily, it's there.
gweminence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 05:38 PM   #65
Luke_Y
Luke_Y can teach chickens to fly.Luke_Y can teach chickens to fly.Luke_Y can teach chickens to fly.Luke_Y can teach chickens to fly.Luke_Y can teach chickens to fly.Luke_Y can teach chickens to fly.Luke_Y can teach chickens to fly.Luke_Y can teach chickens to fly.Luke_Y can teach chickens to fly.Luke_Y can teach chickens to fly.Luke_Y can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Kindle KB
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc View Post
$200 plus your recurring Cloud storage fees...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
You're making too much out of it for the average person who'd be interested in the device. You get 5GB of cloud storage at no charge...
Free unlimited cloud storage of Amazon content as well.
Luke_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2011, 05:41 PM   #66
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke_Y View Post
I got unlimited music right now for everything. I bought a MP3 album and got a free year of 20GB Cloud space then they changed it to unlimited for music for the remainder of the plan.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 11:50 PM   #67
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke_Y View Post
Yes, thanks for highlighting this.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 12:07 PM   #68
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
You're making too much out of it for the average person who'd be interested in the device. You get 5GB of cloud storage at no charge.

If folks need an SD card slot and want "open" this isn't the device for them. Nothing wrong with that.
I agree! Some perspective here for the nay sayers: I paid over $200 for my iPod touch 4G. No SD slot, tiny 3.5" screen, 8GB storage, really crappy battery life (4 to 5 hours), and I don't think there is much cloud syncing of content available, certainly not for free nor as good as Amazon's. That makes the Fire look like a huge bargain to me.
Old 10-01-2011, 12:13 PM   #69
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Quote:
I think that this is the basic, no frills, model. I also think that this will be enough for many people.

I'm hoping, though, that the next model up will have a SD/microSD slot and a larger screen.

I have a need to read manufacturers manuals with wiring diagrams.

More than a few places I have to work in are in basements, next to elevator shafts, remote sites, military bases and universities with NO vender access to the internet or wireless communication. Yes a Zoom or other tablet with 3G would suit my needs, but I'm often on a 10" 10 foot ladder and can't afford to drop something as expensive as an iPad or Zoom.

All the free "cloud" storage isn't going to do me a bit of good in most of those situations. I can download manuals, but 8 gig isn't going to be anywhere close enough for my needs.

With those two needs met I would be happy to buy a 10" Amazon tablet.

The lesser amount of apps available is no problem. I have a hunch (pun intended, see avatar ) that most of the billions and billions of apps are repeats, useless, or inconsequential trash.

Last edited by SameOldStory; 10-01-2011 at 02:18 PM.
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 12:18 PM   #70
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOldStory View Post

More than a few places I have to work in are in basements, next to elevator shafts, remote sites, military bases and universities with NO vender access to the internet or wireless communication. Yes a Zoom or other tablet with 3G would suit my needs, but I'm often on a 10" ladder and can't afford to drop something as expensive as an iPad or Zoom.
Hmmmm, mayby you need an Implant....maybe in that Hump.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 12:31 PM   #71
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
'm often on a 10" ladder and can't afford to drop something as expensive as an iPad or Zoom.
It would probably survive a fall from a 10 inch ladder, provided you had a decent case. It's not really terribly high.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 01:04 PM   #72
Belle2Be
Peace, Love, and Books
Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3(3g), NookColor
Quote:
I think that this is the basic, no frills, model. I also think that this will be enough for many people.

I'm hoping, though, that the next model up will have a SD/microSD slot and a larger screen.

I have a need to read manufacturers manuals with wiring diagrams.

More than a few places I have to work in are in basements, next to elevator shafts, remote sites, military bases and universities with NO vender access to the internet or wireless communication. Yes a Zoom or other tablet with 3G would suit my needs, but I'm often on a 10" ladder and can't afford to drop something as expensive as an iPad or Zoom.

All the free "cloud" storage isn't going to do me a bit of good in most of those situations. I can download manuals, but 8 gig isn't going to be anywhere close enough for my needs.

With those two needs met I would be happy to buy a 10" Amazon tablet.

The lesser amount of apps available is no problem. I have a hunch (pun intended, see avatar ) that most of the billions and billions of apps are repeats, useless, or inconsequential trash.
Why would you be reading on a 10 foot ladder??
Belle2Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 01:14 PM   #73
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle2Be View Post
LMAO! I was wondering that too. If someone spends a lot of time in basements up on ten foot ladders, I should think a small MP3 player is all they need. A 7" tablet seems like uber-kill, and dangerous in this case.
Old 10-01-2011, 02:14 PM   #74
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Hmmmm, mayby you need an Implant....maybe in that Hump.
A brain implant would help a lot, I'm sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It would probably survive a fall from a 10 inch ladder, provided you had a decent case. It's not really terribly high.
(Posting edited from 10” to 10 foot) I might risk the loss of a $200/$300 tablet in a fall, but not a $500/$600 one. I suspect that the aerodynamics of a falling tablet would cause one edge or another to hit first. I'll let someone else figure out the force of impact.

The fact that the Amazon Fire has Gorilla Glass is one of the big factors, for me, in considering it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle2Be View Post
I install and repair security access software and hardware. Most of the panels are above the ceiling tiles. The problem is that I have to work with products made by a lot of different manufactures. But even one manufacturer will have many different circuit boards, some new, some old. My 4 gig thumb drive was full and I've had to switch to an 8 gig drive to add more pdf manuals.

Although I do it very rarely, I have had to use one of these.

Last edited by SameOldStory; 10-01-2011 at 02:23 PM.
Old 10-01-2011, 02:21 PM   #75
SameOldStory
My True Self

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
LMAO! I was wondering that too. If someone spends a lot of time in basements up on ten foot ladders, I should think a small MP3 player is all they need. A 7" tablet seems like uber-kill, and dangerous in this case.
A lot of security/access control rooms are in areas that wouldn't be desirable as office space. Wireless communications, cell phones service etc., are non-existent in those locations. So any date stored on the "cloud" is inaccessible. It has to be carried in, and always available.

Most of the computers that are in use in those offices are restricted access, so I can't connect to their network either.

Last edited by SameOldStory; 10-01-2011 at 02:39 PM.