Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 09-16-2011, 12:02 PM   #1
bwshore
bwshore began at the beginning.

Device: none
using Calibre to read Gutenberg mobi files

Is it possible to view mobi books from Gutenberg using Calibre? if so, how?

I have some 50 books from the Gutenberg project, all mobi files obtained for free, on my iMac. I have no separate physical reader such as a Kindle or iPad. I thought I could use Calibre to maintain this library of books. But the conversion from mobi to epub, done by Calibre, ran for hours without completing all 50, and none of the converted books are readable: there is just a generic icon.

Has this been discussed already somewhere in the long list of mobi posts or in some other place?
bwshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 05:54 PM   #2
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
Calibre's viewer works with mobi format. Why do you want to convert to epub first?
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2011, 11:45 AM   #3
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwshore View Post
Is it possible to view mobi books from Gutenberg using Calibre? if so, how?

I have some 50 books from the Gutenberg project, all mobi files ... But the conversion from mobi to epub, ...
There is absolutely no need to convert PG books from MOBI to ePUB, in order to read them with calibre, for two reasons:
  1. Calibre's viewer will work fine with the MOBI versions.
  2. You can download new copies in ePUB directly from PG instead of converting.

True, calibre should be able to convert any good MOBI file to ePUB unless the MOBI is restricted with DRM, which PG books aren't. Your conversion problem may stem from processing such a large batch at one time and encountering memory problems on your system.

If calibre's viewer won't display the MOBI books while calibre is running you should check Prefs to make sure that using the viewer for that format isn't disabled.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote