Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-31-2013, 06:18 PM   #1
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
E-Books for a 10y Boy

Looking for some FUN books to read for 10y boy who it a little behind in reading level. I have grabbed the series 80 A.D.

He enjoyed the print edition of Magic Tree house, and Encyclopedia Brown. A friend lent him the Warrior books (in print) and he liked them, at least the first collection of 4(or was it 5?), but after that first series it kind of fell off.

Here is the hard kicker.... need free books cause we are not in a position to buy much right now. I am giving him my old Nook Color, but I can convert Ebook formats, so that is not a big deal.

Suggestions? Thanks
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:42 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Do you have a public library that does eBooks? I know ours has quite a few kids chapter books available for checkout.

Here's a list that might be of some use. Any books on it that came out before 1923 should be available in the Public Domain (for the US anyway)...
http://www.odl.state.ok.us/kids/century/century.htm

Here's one a friend of mine, who's sitting here right now, recommended...
The Railway Children
by Edith Nesbit
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:50 PM   #3
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
If you don't want to buy, then get thee to the library! The real one, not the virtual one. Not only are the books free, a kid can have free rein to browse and find something that appeals. Even if the prices of kids' books weren't shocking, I'd still advise that any child should be a weekly visitor to the public library.

With that as a given, I'll kick things off by recommending the Time Warp Trio books. Adventuresome and funny.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:07 PM   #4
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Our Library has NO kids books at all in e-format. We have checked books out, but the selection there is tiny also. Not everyone lives near a well stocked library.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:11 PM   #5
VydorScope
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Do you have a public library that does eBooks? I know ours has quite a few kids chapter books available for checkout.

Here's a list that might be of some use. Any books on it that came out before 1923 should be available in the Public Domain (for the US anyway)...
http://www.odl.state.ok.us/kids/century/century.htm

Here's one a friend of mine, who's sitting here right now, recommended...
The Railway Children
by Edith Nesbit
Thanks will check those links out.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:35 AM   #6
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
Check out the childrens literature bookshelf on project Gutenberg http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Childr...ure_(Bookshelf)
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:37 AM   #7
VydorScope
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post
Check out the childrens literature bookshelf on project Gutenberg http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Childr...ure_(Bookshelf)
When I click that link I get..
Quote:
There is currently no text in this page. You can search for this page title in other pages, or search the related logs, but you do not have permission to create this page.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:23 AM   #8
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
It just needs the last bracket inside the link. Like this.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 02:45 PM   #9
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Why not go with some of the classics? Books like Treasure Island and the Sherlock Holmes stories aren't really that complex in their writing.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 02:59 PM   #10
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Even dare I say Tom Swift --> http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/author/267
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 03:07 PM   #11
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The 39 Steps (and others by John Buchan) --> https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=119930
Old 09-02-2013, 03:09 PM   #12
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

King Solomon's Mines (and others) --> https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54886
Old 09-02-2013, 03:16 PM   #13
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Mark Twain Adventures of Huckleberry Finn --> https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=193287

Mark Twain The Adventures of Tom Sawyer --> https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=135679
Old 09-02-2013, 04:17 PM   #14
Nancy Fulda
I write stories.
Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Not an ebook, and the books are not free, but the full Schlock Mercenary archives can be found on the web.

I mention this because my 9-year-old was an incredibly reluctant reader until he discovered Schlock. I don't care if they're comic books with mass mayhem and few words per page -- he READS them. I almost cried the first time I walked past his room and saw him curled on his bed, nose-in-book, giggling to himself.
Nancy Fulda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:24 AM   #15
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
In my experience, classics are a tough sell to a kid. Amazon offers kids books daily in the $1.99 range; once in a while you can find the high-profile series that kids love. You just have to keep looking every day. I never see those kinds of books going for free.

If I were you, I would look into a library with a large ebook program that offers an out-of-state card, such as Philadelphia Free Library. You have to pay for the card but it might be well worth it to you. Do a search on here to find out what your choices are. Just be prepared for long hold times. My library has tons of Magic Tree House books in ebook format, for example. Also tons of Richard Riordan books.

Good luck,
eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote