Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 01-14-2010, 07:55 PM   #1
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
starting a library

Working on starting a library for my ebooks / future ebooks. I was hoping to be able to get a format that was pretty much universal so not to have to constantly be converting to different formats every few years. So far I have decided on EPUBS.

I purchased a butt load of sony ebooks and decided that their software headaches are too many to be worth my time to build a library therein. The current books I got I would like to keep, but with DRM why bother. I dont mind having to used 52 different programs to get it to work with my ereader and whatever program I use to transfer them, but i do not want to have to repeatedly do that forever and ever, every time something changes. Too bad once you own an ebook you do not really own it.

FREE is what I am about now. Maybe a few of you could list a few sites where I can download a bunch of free books (legal) to get my elibrary started.

Also, has anyone here purchased any of the ebay cds with ebooks on them? It's only 10 bucks and it says all public domain on a few of the seller's pages. it would be worth the 10 bucks to save myself the trouble of downloading a lot of the classics one at a time.

thanks
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 08:27 PM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Stay away from the ebay CDs! They are either charging you for free, public domain books, they are pirated, or they are just crappy.

But good news! You can get plenty of books here, on MR, for free I think we're somewhere at 14,000 titles. Just go to the top of this page, and on the blue bar you'll see "ebooks." You can use BBeb/LRF (which I prefer) or ePub (the format Sony uses now) for your Reader. Oh, and they are all DRM free

Also, you can check out smashwords, which has lots of free books independently published, and are also DRM free.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2010, 09:49 AM   #3
brookietx
brookietx began at the beginning.

Device: Toshiba laptop & Axim X51v
I run MobiPocket, Microsoft Reader, Adobe, and Word books on my Axim and, as a
result, have several different "libraries". Can anyone recommend 1.) a reader that handles all formats and/or 2.) a program that lets us "catalog" and search for all of our books by author, title, series, subject etc.?
brookietx is offline   Reply With Quote