Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-02-2010, 11:26 PM   #1
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
A tip for all readers

Having been a user of portable electronic devices for many years, I have by trial and error (heavy on the error) gained at least a bit of knowledge. One thing I have learned is that a soft reset here and there, saves more serious problems later on.

For example. I have had my 300 for a couple of weeks, and read 4 books on it. I noticed tonight that the page turns were a bit slower, and in general the unit felt sluggish. I stuck the ole paper clip in the little hole, turned it off and on and it was a good as new.

I have decided at the end of every book to simply do a soft reset. The only thing that gets erased in a soft reset is bookmarks (I think) and for sure the place you left off in the book. So, in between books is an ideal place to soft reset. If this reader is like most modern devices, this simple act will avoid many headaches.

Last edited by Bremen Cole; 01-02-2010 at 11:29 PM.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 02:08 PM   #2
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Thanks for the info. This is good to know. While I like my PRS-300 very much, I must say I am most disappointed in the level of documentation that came with it and the quality of the software sony provides. So I wasn't sure what a soft reset would do.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2010, 03:12 PM   #3
fllorina
fllorina began at the beginning.

Device: Reader 600
how to sort notepad alphabetically not as it is (by date). is it possible to do this? pls!
pictures, they come sorted alphabetically, but not the notepads. thank you so much
fllorina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:49 AM   #4
Pripyat
Beginner E-Book Reader
Pripyat began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350 Silver
Thanks for the good advice!
Pripyat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 12:10 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have a 505 and I don't find the need for a reset due to it slowing down.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2010, 12:41 PM   #6
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
a full power off and then on would accomplish the same thing. i tend to turn my reader off at the end of the day but let it sleep as i read throughout the day. power up the next morning.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 03:42 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
All that a soft reset does is power off the device. You're a LOT safer doing a proper software "shut down". A soft reset is like pulling the plug on your PC, rather than shutting it down.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote