Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-28-2012, 04:52 AM   #1
Krittika Goyal
Vox calibre
Krittika Goyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krittika Goyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krittika Goyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krittika Goyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krittika Goyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krittika Goyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krittika Goyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krittika Goyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krittika Goyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krittika Goyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krittika Goyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony reader prs700, kobo
calibre 0.9.0 is here!

Here is the link to the blog post about it.

And this time it is for real
Krittika Goyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:25 AM   #2
Steven630
Groupie
Steven630 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite2
Cheers!
Steven630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2012, 04:25 AM   #3
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
cant download with google chrome, but I think maybe chrome have done a bugged update???

The .msi downloads then vanishes - had to get it with IE9 instead. trying to google the issue but not getting much info yet - ( just one short thread on google groups)
anyone else having problems or could test download the calibre msi in chrome please. (win 7 /64)

I tried some other file types from other sites & chrome handled those OK. I have not changed any PC settings but I see the chrome wrench icon has changed so chrome must have auto-updated.

it could be MSE is throwing a hissy fit, but MSE usually tells you if it does not like a file.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:00 AM   #4
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Evo, HTC View
Downloaded and installed just fine on my machine, Win 7 64 with Chrome.

Aren't you the one that always has problems with Amazon Kindle for PC also?

Last edited by vaughnmr; 09-29-2012 at 07:04 AM.
vaughnmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:34 AM   #5
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnmr View Post

Aren't you the one that always has problems with Amazon Kindle for PC also?
only sometimes! ( and lots of people have problemes with Kindle for PC - see amaon & mobileread forums! ) - I don't think that is related.

maybe your google chrome has not auto-updated - the new version show 3 horizontal lines where the wrench icon used to be.

calibre downloads fine if I use a download manager or use IE9 , I reckon chrome has glitch as per the quoted google groups threads, copied below.

checking mu version number I seem to be opted into chrome beta channel - I will go figure how to get out of that &back on to stable channel - I don't recall ever voting for beta!

Why are my downloaded files being deleted?
8 posts by 6 authors in Google Chrome Forum
https://productforums.google.com/for...me/6IwR00T_Y8I

AND
https://productforums.google.com/for...me/VV74g2LVIPM
Downloads being instantly deleted
1 post by 1 author in Google Chrome Forum
Categories: Report an Issue and Get Troubleshooting HelpWindows

Can someone help please?
Since Google Chrome updated to version 22, I cannot now download ANYTHING without it being "removed" the instant it is done.
Anyone else having this problem?
Anyone got a solution?

Last edited by cybmole; 09-29-2012 at 07:48 AM.
Advert
Old 09-29-2012, 09:20 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
@cybemole
When things like this happens, it is almost always a interaction with other programs or (security) settings. Check your anti-virus activity log

In this case, the temporary download file is not getting written out to the placeholder (named file). This (2 file) process is visible in firefox (XP set to show hidden files).
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:49 AM   #7
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
@cybemole
When things like this happens, it is almost always a interaction with other programs or (security) settings. Check your anti-virus activity log

In this case, the temporary download file is not getting written out to the placeholder (named file). This (2 file) process is visible in firefox (XP set to show hidden files).
yes, chrome builds the file in some temp location but the write to downloads folder fails. changing that downloads folder location does not help. Other people on google groups are reporting same issue & linking it to latest chrome update. In my case it seems that only .exe and .msi files are being blocked. the other suspect is the most recent winodws update which ran a couple of days back.

NOt a calaibre issue anyway, I will lurk on the other threads & see if it gets diagnosed there. with my chrome - Internet Download Manager browser integration re-enabled I can download OK. the 3rd possibility is that toggling that integration setting without rebooting is having some side effect.

could be the whole issue would disappear if I did a reboot, but this PC is always busy so I reboot it only when Windows insists.

I've run scans with both MSE & Malwarebytes & both report my PC is clean. ditto for scanning the calibre.msi
Old 09-29-2012, 09:56 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Dump Chrome. Get Firefix. Much better browser.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:57 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krittika Goyal View Post
Here is the link to the blog post about it.

And this time it is for real
Congratulations on such a wonderful milestone!
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:08 AM   #10
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Dump Chrome. Get Firefix. Much better browser.
well that's a personal preference, but it occurs to me to test a calibre download in firefox....

same bug ... it builds within downloads folder then vanishes & firefox reports cancelled..

so its not a chrome specific bug & it is not linked to IDM ( As I don't have that linked to firefox).... the plot thickens...

i googled some more - found & toggles a browser.download.scan.when done field in firefox - that browser now works OK

I've no idea how to do that in chrome though

Last edited by cybmole; 09-29-2012 at 10:16 AM.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:19 AM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
well that's a personal preference, but it occurs to me to test a calibre download in firefox....

same bug ... it builds within downloads folder then vanishes & firefox reports cancelled..

so its not a chrome specific bug & it is not linked to IDM ( As I don't have that linked to firefox).... the plot thickens...

i googled some more - found & toggles a browser.download.scan.when done field in firefox - that browser now works OK

I've no idea how to do that in chrome though
Your Security software is most likely then (and it is NOT logging it's actions ).
Firefox 15.0.1 on (up to date)XP here
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:21 AM   #12
cybmole
Wizard

i think it maybe the newish "malware/ phishing protection" in chrome, if calibre is not explicitly whitelisted:

I found this & am about to test toggling the setting:
In recent update of Google Chrome internet browser (in stable channel), there is a new security/privacy option:

http://chrome.blogspot.com/2012/02/f...wnloading.html

In addition to checking a list of known bad files, Chrome also does checks on executable files (like ".exe" and ".msi" files). If the executable doesn't match a whitelist, Chrome checks with Google for more information, such as whether the website you're accessing hosts a high number of malicious downloads.

According to more detail link

If a file isn’t from a known source, Chrome sends the URL and IP of the host and other meta data, such as the file’s hash and binary size, to Google.

UPDATE : NO - it's not that setting ...

Last edited by cybmole; 09-29-2012 at 10:24 AM.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:44 AM   #13
Kai Winters
Lover of Books
Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+
I've been using Firefox for years now and have never had a problem downloading any Calibre update.
I do go through Calibre...when I open Calibre it notifies me of an update...I click to update and Firefox opens to the Calibre site and I download and install. Easy peasy.

Thank you for the most recent offering of Calibre. I've used it for quite some time on a variety and have had very few, most of my own making, problems with the program.
Kai Winters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 02:51 PM   #14
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Worked fine for me, Calibre prompted me, I clicked the link and it opened up the Calibre download page in Chrome (with the 3 lines instead of the wrench), and I clicked the link to download. It's now installed, no problems at all?

Same as vaughnmr, Win 7 64bit, latest version of Chrome.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:36 AM   #15
cybmole
Wizard

i seem to have solved this - I'd already tried control panel - internet options - security - set everything to default. that had not worked so I went thru all the internet zone settings.

there is one called "launching applications and unsafe files" - choices were enable, disable, prompt and it had defaulted to disable. I changed it to "prompt" & google now happily downloads calibre installer. strangely I don't get any "prompt" & windows does not do its annoying " blocked because this file came from another computer" trick either.

I'm still convinced that either a recent windows update or a chrome update messed with that setiing while I was not looking

( IIRC microsft rushas aout a browser security fix lat week - maybe they tweaked some default otpions )