Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 09-17-2013, 02:32 AM   #1
jlynton
Evangelist
jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Moaan Inkpalm 5.
New Nook coming soon?

Apparently...

http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20.../#.Ujf3XLxoZB0
jlynton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:05 AM   #2
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook & Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
Well, I'm happy for them, but I've learned my lesson. I'll never again be a B&N early adopter. Two years in a row now, I've purchased their newest electronic toy, only to see it selling for a 40%+ discount within 6 to 8 months. That's a hard pill to swallow once, but twice is ridiculous. I'm happy for all those that got such great deals but next time, if there ever is a next time for me, I'll be one of those getting a good deal. I'll be waiting a minimum of 6 to 8 months after release before I purchase any future B&N products.
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:34 AM   #3
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfollowell View Post
Well, I'm happy for them, but I've learned my lesson. I'll never again be a B&N early adopter. Two years in a row now, I've purchased their newest electronic toy, only to see it selling for a 40%+ discount within 6 to 8 months. That's a hard pill to swallow once, but twice is ridiculous. I'm happy for all those that got such great deals but next time, if there ever is a next time for me, I'll be one of those getting a good deal. I'll be waiting a minimum of 6 to 8 months after release before I purchase any future B&N products.
I'm nowhere near an early adopter only buying my Nook HD a few months ago, but I feel your pain. I bought it when it was reduced from £199 to £159, now its selling for £99.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:43 PM   #4
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
I bought my HD+ on "Black Friday" with about a $60 discount, but it was still more than what they are selling for now. But I've been happy with it, so I don't have any regrets. I usually wait a while before buying electronics, especially computers.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:04 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
It'd be nice, if there's to be a new eInk device, if they'd announce it before the Paperwhite 2 starts shipping.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:27 PM   #6
spedinfargo
Groupie
spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.

Device: none
Definitely hoping for a new epaper device - envious of the contrast and higher resolution Kindles lately... esp the Paperwhite 2 from what I've read...
spedinfargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:21 AM   #7
vugtitan
Addict
vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
but iphone users qued for weeks to get the new iphone.where's your loyalty?

to support b & n you would buy it at the higher price and help the economy.
vugtitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:28 AM   #8
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by vugtitan View Post

Good point

In July I bought the HD 16gb for $149 straight out of my local store. I'm sure it was helpful to their bottom line. None of my others came from the store. And yeah, it was on sale last week for $30 less, but I am not resentful over it. My daughter has been happily using it since July.
booklover6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:16 AM   #9
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook & Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by vugtitan View Post

Well, I'm sorry, but this comment is just plain silly.

If you are independently wealthy enough that you have no problem throwing your money away, then you feel free. I think most people would tend to feel a little ripped off after experiencing two instances of this crazy discounting less than eight months after purchasing an item. However, you feel free to donate an extra $130 the next time you purchase a B&N product if it makes you feel better. You can stimulate the economy all you want. Me, I stimulate it more than enough as it is.
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:50 AM   #10
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
I just don't feel a need to continually upgrade. What I have works for me.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:41 AM   #11
Bleu
Bleu began at the beginning.

Device: Nook STR
Any news yet? The leaked items that were supposed to go on sale on Oct 1 are not on the bn site. I just sold my STR and am pining for a lighted reader. I'm hoping to stay in the nook family but need an announcement soon or I might cave and get a kindle.
Bleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:22 AM   #12
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Nothing yet, and you would have expected something by now with Amazon's latest Kindle going on sale yesterday and Nook announcing some new management appointments too...
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:35 AM   #13
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
If you are independently wealthy enough that you have no problem throwing your money away, then you feel free. I think most people would tend to feel a little ripped off after experiencing two instances of this crazy discounting less than eight months after purchasing an item. However, you feel free to donate an extra $130 the next time you purchase a B&N product if it makes you feel better. You can stimulate the economy all you want. Me, I stimulate it more than enough as it is.
That's how it goes with electronics and computers.

First Nexus 7 - $199 - July 2012
less than 12 months later - $140 on clearance at Staples. $120 refurbs on ebay with a free case. New nexus 7 comes out. It drives the prices down.

3rd gen iPad - March 2012. 4th gen iPad - November 2012. I remember some Apple folks screaming bloody murder that it had only been 6 months.

These things happen sometimes. Buy when you like the features for the price.

In the case of the Nook HD/HD+, they clearly overproduced - it was cited in news articles even - thus the fire sales.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:04 AM   #14
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
In the case of the Nook HD/HD+, they clearly overproduced - it was cited in news articles even - thus the fire sales.

The losses resulting from device overproduction in multiple years was part of the reason for the management shakeup (CEO & CTO-Nook). I would expect that the new team would be playing conservative enough that they will likely be underordering rather than the reverse. It'll be interesting to see if there are shortages during November/December. To the OPs original point while I would expect prices of the LCD devices to drop slightly in a year as a new devices come out (that's the nature of things), I am definitely not expecting to see fire sales in 6 months like there have been the past two years.

The above is my personal opinion, and I don't work for B&N anymore anyway.
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:11 PM   #15
dandelioncottage
Abibliophobe
dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2 64 gb, Nook Glowlight, iPad 4 (128 gb)
I was in a B&N store today, and the salesperson told me a new Nook would be coming, probably in November, since that's when last year's HD and HD+ were released.

However, she thought that it would be a new ereader, and that no new tablets will come out unless B&N finds a partner to produce them. Not official information; just her guess.

She also said there might be a further price drop on the HD/HD+ (again, only her personal opinion).

Last edited by dandelioncottage; 10-03-2013 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Added information
dandelioncottage is offline   Reply With Quote