Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-03-2010, 02:17 AM   #1
lanceoak
lanceoak began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Kobo won't sync

Hoping someone can give me some advice on this. I have had no problems syncing my KOBO in the past. I just purchased 2 books, which show up on my desktop. I tried to sync and I get the following message; "There was an error connecting to the network. Please try synchronizing again later.:

I tried several times but no go. I have rebooted my Kobo, reinstalled the KOBO desktop software and contacted the help desk. No luck.

Is anyone else having this problem or, if you have, have you solved it. Right now, the KOBO is an anchor in that I can't download my purchased books.

In advance, thank you....
lanceoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 06:04 AM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Check your firewall. That has recently been a problem for some folks. You should be able to set it to allow the site.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:59 AM   #3
lanceoak

re the firewall... my KOBO does hook up to the network and on the status bar I see 2 books downloading and it seems to cut on the third book. So, I'm thinking it can't be the firewall as it allows the initial hookup.. Thank you though....
Old 12-03-2010, 12:43 PM   #4
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What Kobo do you have...and what version of the firmware is on it? With Kobo-O running 1.4, it is definitely trying to replace the sqlite Db file and images folder, then reloading your books.

Do the books sideload using ADE or through Calibre?
Old 12-03-2010, 03:11 PM   #5
lanceoak

Hello.... I have Software Version 1.4 (Jun 27, 2010 ) installed on the basic KOBO that first came out. I only load by going through the KOBO desktop. Not sure what ADE is and I have not tried Calibre.

Thank you
Old 12-03-2010, 05:29 PM   #6
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Hi Lance--if you look at your purchased books list on the kobobooks website, you will usually see a button to download ePUBs. ePUB formatted books, except those sold without DRM, have to be opened and transferred to your Kobo through Adobe Digital Editions software. It comes preloaded on your Kobo--or you can download it from here: http://www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions/

Try it. If the books do not transfer either through sync or as ePUB loaded through ADE, it generally means that your database is corrupted (doesn't happen often) but it can happen. Many people really prefer the ePUB format and never use the sync function at all. Calibre is another piece of software that folks use to manage their libraries and transfer books to their readers. You still would have to open with ADE, but then you could transfer the books into Calibre where they can go onto your reader.

The one time my database actually was corrupted, books would not appear using either sync or ADE, but were fine when added through Calibre.That was when I replaced the sqlite DB and the image folder using the process listed in the sticky at the top of the forum.

If this seems too weird, and you are in Canada, go to a local Chapters store and ask them to flash your reader with 1.4. That will give you a truly fresh install and you can go from there.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:08 PM   #7
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
I bought "The Last Templar" from Kobo a couple nights ago. I stripped the drm, adjusted the margins (or so I thought) and loaded it through calibre (like I always do). For whatever reason the book still has about 1"-1 1/2" on either side and at the bottom. So I tried loading the drm infected book through calibre with the same result. Then I loaded through ADE, again it's the same. So finally I gave up and tried using the kobo desktop app. Well, it won't sync. I get the same error message telling me that it can't connect to the network and to try again later (nothing to do with my firewall).

I had this happen with "The Strain" but I was able to sync with the desktop app so I was still able to read it, just with Kobo's crappy margins. I can't read it if the margins are so huge that there's only max. 4 words per line of text.

My question is: If my db is f*cked and I replace it using the steps provided by Pholy (thank you for that!) will I then be able to use the desktop app to sync my reader? Or does this have nothing to do with my db?
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 05:57 PM   #8
taming
Trying for calm & polite

@Pookseygirl: What version of Calibre were you using? There have been a couple of recent versions (0.7.29 & 0.7.30) that had problems that well and truly screwed the Db.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:48 PM   #9
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
@Pookseygirl: What version of Calibre were you using? There have been a couple of recent versions (0.7.29 & 0.7.30) that had problems that well and truly screwed the Db.
I'm on 0.7.32
Old 12-05-2010, 09:56 PM   #10
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Did you use the Kobo with the problem installs of Calibre though? That is where a whole bunch of the Db problems originated. I believe Tim Legge (the go to guy for Calibre with Kobo and the person who developed and improves the Kobo driver for Calibre) suggested that we reinstall the Db if we have problems after using those versions.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:49 AM   #11
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
I bought "The Last Templar" from Kobo a couple nights ago. I stripped the drm, adjusted the margins (or so I thought) and loaded it through calibre (like I always do). For whatever reason the book still has about 1"-1 1/2" on either side and at the bottom. So I tried loading the drm infected book through calibre with the same result.
Hm! I'd include one more step in the middle of the process.
You could manually unzip epub (since it is a container) and
remove css file. Or simply use Sigil for the same task. Then,
with resulting epub, you could reiterate it through Calibre.
I'm sure it will show up as you wish.
We are talking about formats and processes, not is it legal
or not. I avoid sources of drmed files.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 08:06 AM   #12
Pookeysgirl
Wizard

Quote:
Did you use the Kobo with the problem installs of Calibre though? That is where a whole bunch of the Db problems originated. I believe Tim Legge (the go to guy for Calibre with Kobo and the person who developed and improves the Kobo driver for Calibre) suggested that we reinstall the Db if we have problems after using those versions.
I replaced the db. I was able to sync with the desktop app. I get the same margins through calibre as I did before...oh well. I'll have to accept the kobo margins, I don't know how to adjust them in Sigil
Old 12-06-2010, 08:15 AM   #13
Pookeysgirl
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran View Post
We are talking about formats and processes, not is it legal or not. I avoid sources of drmed files.
I just strip the drm. I'm not worried about wether it's illegal or not
Old 12-06-2010, 09:26 AM   #14
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
I replaced the db. I was able to sync with the desktop app. I get the same margins through calibre as I did before...oh well. I'll have to accept the kobo margins, I don't know how to adjust them in Sigil
One last try--what happens when you remove the CSS in Calibre? Rt. click on a book, explode it, remove the CSS file, rebuild. It would be more elegant to change the CSS, but try this.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:38 AM   #15
Pookeysgirl
Wizard

Quote:
One last try--what happens when you remove the CSS in Calibre? Rt. click on a book, explode it, remove the CSS file, rebuild. It would be more elegant to change the CSS, but try this.
I'll try that tonight when I get home. As soon I find out I'll let you know, thanks