Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-19-2009, 12:32 PM   #1
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Registering 2nd hand Reader

Last August I purchased a second-hand Sony PRS-505. Since I also own a Kindle, I wasn't particularly interested in registering it with the Sony store. In fact, I hadn't even gone to the trouble of updating the firmware to the newest level which gave me ePub support. So, with last night's announcement of 500,000 ePub books by way of Google books, I decided to do both. The upgrade went just fine, but I can't register the reader since it's still registered to another person's account. I've sent an e-mail to the guy I bought it from and I hope he can deregister it. But if he can't how do I go about this? I did look through the Wiki and ran a search of the forum thread, but got too many hits to go through them all.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 12:45 PM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
You don't need to register the Reader to read Google books as they're DRM-free.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2009, 12:49 PM   #3
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Yes, but Elsi wants the EPub versions that Sony have been offering at their store for free. It's a new feature.

I would email Sony about authorising the Reader, Elsi.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 12:50 PM   #4
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I was talking about the Google books in Sony store.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:15 PM   #5
solitarywolf
Ink Drinker
solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle 2021, Ipad Pro, iPhone Pro
When I sold my 500, I had to email Sony to remove it from my account. They apparently have to do it at their end of the database for whatever reasons.

They were very helpful in removing it from my account.

Hope this helps.

-Seth
San Francisco, CA
solitarywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2009, 06:31 PM   #6
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
You don't need to register the Reader to read Google books as they're DRM-free.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
Yes, but Elsi wants the EPub versions that Sony have been offering at their store for free. It's a new feature.

I would email Sony about authorising the Reader, Elsi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
I was talking about the Google books in Sony store.
Yeah -- what Patricia said. Although I have gotten the free SF/F books from Random House directly and from Amazon for my Kindle, I also would like to have them for the Sony reader. (I know, I'm a glutton.) For that, I need to register the Sony. I also notice a couple of the bundles at Sony are cheaper than buying the individual books at Amazon, so I believe there will be the occasional purchase at Sony.

Thanks -- I'll look up the e-mail address for Sony and drop them a note.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:57 PM   #7
igorsk
Wizard

I repeat, you do NOT need to register the Reader to download and read Google's EPUB books. Just make a new account if your current one is maxed out, download the books and transfer them to the Reader. They don't have any DRM so the Reader doesn't need to be registered to the account which does the downloading.

The Random House books do have DRM so for them you do need to register Reader to your account. But your initial post talked only about Google books.,
Old 03-19-2009, 09:26 PM   #8
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
This is true, Igor. It is possible to start a new account and download the books onto your computer without having a Sony Reader. However, Elsi has mentioned in her initial post that she has not yet updated her 505 to get ePub support.
So, unless she actually manages to register her reader, she won't be able to read the free ePubs on it.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 05:30 AM   #9
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
This is true, Igor. It is possible to start a new account and download the books onto your computer without having a Sony Reader. However, Elsi has mentioned in her initial post that she has not yet updated her 505 to get ePub support.
So, unless she actually manages to register her reader, she won't be able to read the free ePubs on it.
Um, I'm a bit confused here. I have a 2nd hand 505, which I never registered. And I've updated the firmware to 1.1.00.18040. What is preventing her from updating her 505? It's been a little while so I don't recall what I did but I don't recall going through anything special to update it. I think it should be just as easy for her.

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:46 AM   #10
igorsk
Wizard

You don't need to register the Reader to apply the firmware update either. You don't even need to login into Sony Store - the update is freely downloadable from the Sony support site.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:14 PM   #11
Elsi
Wizard

Correct -- I did not have to register my reader to apply the firmware update. It's on the reader now and I have successfully paged through two ePub books -- one from Google books and one from Feedbooks. (Note that I do not have Adobe Digital Editions installed on any computer.) I used the simple expedient of copying the ePub files from the PC's hard drive to the Sony reader.

But -- once I had registered with the Sony store so I could get the books from Google, I noticed a couple of "bundles" where the bundle price was less than the sum of the same books purchased from Amazon for my Kindle. I'm not proud -- I'll take advantage of a bargain wherever I can find it.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:19 PM   #12
GlennD
Wizard
GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS350, iPhone, iPad
I received a PRS500 from a friend when he upgraded to the 700....I was able to authorize the 500 without a problem. It just gave me a message that it was already authorized to another account, was I sure I wanted to authorize it for this account. I said 'yes', and it worked without a hitch.

Not sure if this would make a difference, but I already had two devices (my computer and my PRS700) activated, and was just adding the new device.
GlennD is offline   Reply With Quote