Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 06-20-2013, 12:23 PM   #1
katiesommer
katiesommer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Four books in one--TOC help

I'm creating a "boxed set" of four books packaged into one.

For this, I'd like to have the navigational TOC just have the titles of the four books, and then I would include a hyperlinked TOC at the beginning of each book for that book's chapters.

This would prevent 90 or so chapter headings in the navigational TOC, which I do not want.

What I cannot figure out, though, is how to preserve page breaks when doing this. I've tried doing both as a normal InDesign document and a Book document and can't get it to do what I want.

Any advice is appreciated. Basically I just want to know how to do page breaks that don't show up in the navigational TOC.

Thank you.
Katie
katiesommer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:31 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Page breaks are not specifically linked to the TOC. What tool are you using to create the document? Page breaks are automatic when a new file is referenced and/or when set in a CSS statement.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2013, 02:17 PM   #3
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
The page breaks shouldn't be automatically happening in such a menu. Are you wanting them?

You want something like this for your first menu:

Book 1
Book 2
Book 3
Book 4
don't you? Where do the page breaks come into it? It will jump to a new page if you link to a different section for each book.

For the sake of the epub index, use <h2> down to <h6> for the various books and chapters. Maybe <h2> as book level, <h3> for the various chapters, and <h4> for breakdowns below that.

That way you can automatically generate such a menu with just a mouse click.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:19 PM   #4
katiesommer

I'm using InDesign. I'm doing the level one entries as chapter breaks when I did it as a document. If you're talking about an Indesign Book when you say "new file is referenced," they still all flow together for me.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:25 PM   #5
katiesommer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post

You want something like this for your first menu:

Book 1
Book 2
Book 3
Book 4
don't you? Where do the page breaks come into it?
Yes, this is what I want, and what I can do when laying it out as a Book in Indesign. But I want the page breaks to come between the chapters of each individual book. I can't figure out how to do that. Each book itself is perfect, but when I combine them into one it doesn't carry over (for lack of a technical term) the fact that I've specified first level entries as chapter breaks.

I'm sorry if I'm not being clear enough.
Advert
Old 06-20-2013, 02:39 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiesommer View Post
Yes, this is what I want, and what I can do when laying it out as a Book in Indesign. But I want the page breaks to come between the chapters of each individual book. I can't figure out how to do that. Each book itself is perfect, but when I combine them into one it doesn't carry over (for lack of a technical term) the fact that I've specified first level entries as chapter breaks.

I'm sorry if I'm not being clear enough.
InDesign is difficult to use to do what you want. I would suggest you pull the resultant file into Sigil and you can then fix it to do what you want. You can regenerate the TOC to leave out the individual chapters from the master TOC is you wish. Note that most readers allow levels of TOC entries so having a huge list may be ok using expansions etc.

Dale
Old 06-20-2013, 02:41 PM   #7
katiesommer

Is there a way in InDesign to do the levels of TOC? I would totally be OK with that.

Thank you, BTW, for your kind and helpful suggestions.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:40 PM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiesommer View Post
Is there a way in InDesign to do the levels of TOC? I would totally be OK with that.

Thank you, BTW, for your kind and helpful suggestions.
I do not own InDesign but levels should be produced automatically by different heading levels. Each increasing number in the H1, H2, H3, etc. produce a level inside the preceding number. If you view the resultant ePub in ADE you should be able to click and expand or collapse a level.

Dale
Old 06-26-2013, 02:59 PM   #9
Soup~
Soup~ began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
There's a Lynda.com video by Anne-Marie Concepcion that describes how to adjust different levels of the ToC:

http://youtu.be/-15ghxJQmrY?t=6m

(Around the 6 minute mark)

You'll notice she already has an H1 designated as a ToC entry before she goes on to add a different paragraph style as a sub-entry in the ToC.

Last edited by Soup~; 06-26-2013 at 03:01 PM.
Soup~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:45 PM   #10
Morganucopia
Bookaholic
Morganucopia can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Morganucopia can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Morganucopia can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Morganucopia can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Morganucopia can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Morganucopia can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Morganucopia can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Morganucopia can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Morganucopia can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Morganucopia can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Morganucopia can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo Mini
Use a style for each book title

I would probably want to create a title page for each book, and style it with an h1 tag (or whatever). When you generate the TOC, you should be able to choose which paragraph styles you want included, and in this case you would just choose your book headings.

But I agree that this might be best dealt with afterwards in Sigil when you're editing the actual EPUB. It is MUCH easier with that program.
Morganucopia is offline   Reply With Quote