Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 07-25-2013, 05:32 PM   #496
kaufman
Calibre Companion Fanatic
kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
The series info only gets populated on the next sync after adding the book (if that makes sense).
  • Kobo connected
    • Initial send to Kobo
      • Book gets sent
      • Shelves get populated
  • Kobo disconnected
    • Device scans for new contents and adds to database
  • Kobo reconnected
    • Series info gets added to database
  • Kobo disconnected
That makes sense. I have noticed that the series info doesn't get added until I add another book. Is there a setting to make it do it right away?
kaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:34 PM   #497
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Oasis
It can't be done with the way the Kobo device processes information. To do this all at once would require Kobo changing how the firmware processes books.

Like, say, perhaps supporting EPUB3 metadata
jgoguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2013, 05:56 PM   #498
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaufman View Post
That makes sense. I have noticed that the series info doesn't get added until I add another book. Is there a setting to make it do it right away?
The challenge is that the row in the database that stores the series info is the same row that only gets created when Kobo processes the book post disconnect,
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:07 PM   #499
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

KoboTouchExtended version 2.0.0 has been posted. Coming soon to a calibre update notification, or attached to the first post of this thread for the impatient among us

This version breaks compatibility with versions of calibre prior to 0.9.41, and brings support for Kobo firmware 2.8.1.

People with smaller screen resolutions should notice that they can now actually see the entire options dialog, which is expected to improve their ability to view and select options.

When copying post-conversion KePubs to a directory, the driver save template is now used to generate the file path to copy the book to.

When silently ignoring failed conversions, the driver will actually upload the books as ePub now instead of teasing you with suggestive wording and leaving you to wonder where the books went.

If you have Reading Life partially or fully disabled, the Awards tile may still show up but be blank. There's now an option to block the Awards tile from appearing at all.

The way hyphenation was being done sucked. It caused larger files, caused all manner of issues with the display of text, and made looking up words in the dictionary even harder and more confusing. I saw lots of messages saying that "word" could not be found, but the closest match is "word". Hyphenation now depends on a CSS file that gets added to books during conversion. See the README directions for how to send an improved or new hyphenation dictionary to your device. Sorry, it's not really simple. Hyphenation languages provided are:
  • US English (en_US)
  • French (fr_FR)
  • Spanish (es_ES)
  • German (de_DE)
  • Italian (it_IT)
  • Portugese (pt_PT)

To help with future debugging, some details are embedded into each converted book:
  • Device display name (e.g. "Kobo Glo")
  • Calibre version (e.g. "0.9.41")
  • Last connected date (e.g. "2013-07-28T17:48:26.385447+00:00")
  • Driver option values (e.g. "[u'tags', True, True, True, True, True, True, True, True, True, False, u'', True, False, False, False, True, True, True, True, u'', True, True, True]")
  • Driver version (e.g. "2.0.0")
  • Current UTC time when conversion is done (e.g. "Sun Jul 28 17:52:21 2013")
Old 07-28-2013, 03:27 PM   #500
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Would you consider adding the Readme contents to the first post here? I know that when I was testing somehting the other day, I had wanted to ensure that I had the Kobo.js file in place, and frankly, it was not that straight forward to track down your instructions.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2013, 05:13 PM   #501
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person

Done. Now I just have to try to remember to keep it up to date
Old 07-29-2013, 06:42 AM   #502
met67
Connoisseur
met67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.met67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.met67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.met67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.met67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.met67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.met67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.met67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.met67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.met67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.met67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Nook Touch
Hi,

WRT the need of not nesting spans (as discussed here), I have taken a look at the code that adds the KoboSpans and, IIUIC, it loops through the nodes of each (x)html file in the epub and, when it finds a text node (i.e. a node made only of text, without tags), it splits the text on sentence boundaries and replace the textonly node with a subtree of (possibly nested) spans.

If this is the case, wouldn't it be easier to add the spans as texts? What I mean is that, when you find a texonly node, you could split it in sentences and then put it back together enclosing each sentence in strings like '<span class="..." id="...>' and '</span>'. The resulting string would then be passed up as a textonly node.

This, if supported by the etree library, would be a lot easier to implement and would need very few special cases and exceptions...

Please bear with me if I said something stupid, I'm not comfortable with Python and Calibre plugin development (that's why I am not tring this suggestion by myself )
met67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:10 AM   #503
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person

The thing about etree is that you don't pass up strings like '<span class=...'. Tags are objects and text nodes are just a property of the object. Take this XML fragment for example:
Code:
<p class="test">This is a <strong>text node</strong> of a paragraph.</p>
This in etree would be an object for the paragraph node with the following properties:
  • Attribute name 'class' set to 'test'
  • String attribute 'text' set to 'This is a ' (technically not a string, but you can treat it as a string)
  • Child node object for the <strong> with the following properties:
    • String attribute 'text' set to 'text node' (again, not technically a string...)
    • String attribute 'tail' set to ' of a paragraph.' (like 'text', not technically a string)

So, my thought for fixing this is that anywhere I would nest a span tag, I instead end processing the current span and add the new text node as part of the list of child nodes of the parent. Currently, the above fragment would evaluate to:
Code:
<p class="test"><span class="koboSpan" id="kobo.1.3">This is a <strong><span class="koboSpan" id="kobo.1.1">text node</span></strong><span class="koboSpan" id="kobo.1.2"> of a paragraph.</span></p>
What I hope it will become is:
Code:
<p class="test"><span class="koboSpan" id="kobo.1.1">This is a </span><strong><span class="koboSpan" id="kobo.1.2">text node</span></strong><span class="koboSpan" id="kobo.1.3"> of a paragraph.</span></p>
Old 07-29-2013, 08:34 AM   #504
met67
Connoisseur
met67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.met67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.met67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.met67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.met67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.met67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.met67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.met67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.met67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.met67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.met67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Nook Touch
Uhhmmmm, I made some tests and you are right in saying that what I suggested wouldn't work: when I do something like
Code:
a = ET.Element('a')
a.text = '<x>This is inside x tags inside a.</x>'
the '<' and '>' inside the text are (correctly) encoded so that the result is:
Code:
<a>&lt;x&gt;This is inside x tags inside a.&lt;/x&gt;</a>
Oh, well, at least I have learned something

Keep up the good work and thanks for what you are doing for us
met67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:15 AM   #505
Joques
Addict
Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Device: Kobo Glo
I hesitate asking this, since I've been crying wolf a couple of times before, but I have a really weird problem since the last FW update:

I will sideload a book with Calibre and the extended driver. It will seem to work fine. When I exit the book and then go back into it, the Kobo will freeeze with a blank page with only header and footer visible. The footer will say it is loading the chapter, but nothing more happens. I then have to reboot the Kobo.

Sometimes, a book will seem to work for a number of sessions, then all of a sudden this problem will happen. When it does, I have to remove the book from the Kobgo, retransfer it and just read it without ever going to the home screen again.

I am at a loss!
Joques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:31 AM   #506
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person

https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre-k...r/+bug/1204504

In general, if you go to file a bug and type in a brief summary (a short sentence, or a few words) you'll get a list of bugs that may be the same as what you're trying to report. The search box on the list of bugs only searches "open" bugs (unless you go into the Advanced Search), the search when reporting a bug includes all bugs by default.

So, if you're worried that you're putting something out there that's weird, you can go try to report a bug and see if it's already reported. If it is, you can indicate that it also affects you and toss in your two cents. If not, you can come here as usual, or report the bug on Launchpad. And regardless, searching for bugs is a good idea anyway
Old 07-29-2013, 10:08 AM   #507
Joques
Addict
Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Device: Kobo Glo
Aha, I see that you've been through this already :-) And a workaround through the dictionary, even. I'll go through it after work and see it there is anything I can contribute. Thanks!
Joques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:19 AM   #508
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joques View Post
Aha, I see that you've been through this already :-) And a workaround through the dictionary, even. I'll go through it after work and see it there is anything I can contribute. Thanks!
An even easier workaround is tapping the header. That seems to work too.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:38 PM   #509
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person

Somewhat embarrassingly, 2.0.1 is released. Improvements here are not crashing when sending non-ePub files, and an easy choice between ePub and KePub uploads.

The consequence of that latter change is that the 'Extended Features' option only enables/disables the Kobo spans and JavaScript addition; all other options are now executed regardless of the 'Extended Features' option.

The consequence of the former change is that the plugin does what it's supposed to and I get to go bury myself in a book and try to forget I missed something so trivial
Old 07-30-2013, 04:17 AM   #510
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1, BeBook Pure, Kobo Glo, (and HD),Energy Sistem EReader Pro +
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoguen View Post
Somewhat embarrassingly, 2.0.1 is released. Improvements here are not crashing when sending non-ePub files, and an easy choice between ePub and KePub uploads.

The consequence of the former change is that the plugin does what it's supposed to and I get to go bury myself in a book and try to forget I missed something so trivial
I've loaded 2.0.1 and if I try to make a change to the options when I press "O.K." I get an error message :

Code:
calibre, version 0.9.41
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>AttributeError</b>:'QScrollArea' object has no attribute 'validate'

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 944, in validate
AttributeError: 'QScrollArea' object has no attribute 'validate'
This only seems to happen with the Glo connected and when using the "Configure this Device" route to the dialogue. Without a connected device and using the "Preferences" route to the dialogue everything works fine.

I think the error was there in your 1.60 version and I thought it had gone away with 2.0 but now I've realised that it depends on how you get to the dialogue I can't be sure.

BobC
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
error, kobo aura one