Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-10-2012, 03:10 PM   #16
tym
Connoisseur
tym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five words

Device: nook touch
Think the thing that concerns me is how fragile the screen seems to be. While I no longer have the link, someone dropped a remote on the screen, and messed the screen up.

As well saw a few complain about issues with it as well. Think I am gonna wait and see how this all plays out. With anything new, there are always problems.

While I am gonna get myself a new reader. For me, the NST is all I want or need.
tym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:04 AM   #17
Djedefre
Djedefre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Djedefre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Djedefre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Djedefre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Djedefre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Djedefre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Djedefre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Djedefre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Djedefre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Djedefre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Djedefre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
I was kind of upset because I saw commercials for the Glow not long after I got my STR. However, walking around a B&N store one day, I looked at one they had on display, and the lighting mechanism isn't really that impressive. All it is is five LEDs shining down into the screen. It's kinda cool, I suppose, for someone considering getting an ebook reader who does night reading, but as someone who already has a fully functioning Nook, IMO it's not worth getting a whole new reader simply for the light.
Djedefre is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2012, 08:02 PM   #18
tiniree
Zealot
tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Nook 1st Gen
YES!!!

I moved up to the Glow from my old Nook 1st Gen and haven't been disappointed yet. In fact, I put my name in at four stores and waited almost three weeks. Then I had two stores call me within a day of each other to say it was in.

Ended up talking my husband into "trying" one ("Hey, you have 14 days to return it if you don't like it.") and neither of us has been disappointed with our purchase.

In fact, my husband was a die-hard "physical" book only, person until I converted him over to the "Glow" side
tiniree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:47 PM   #19
susaz
Zealot
susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Grammata Papyre 6.2, Sony PRS T1, Nook ST Glow,Kobo Glo
Just got mine today and I think it´s completely worth it. I often read in a dimly lit room, not just the bed, and the glow is a complete godsend. No more batteries that last 3 days, the light is soft and even and the type is fresh and clear. I think I won´t be going back to my Sony T1...
susaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 04:39 PM   #20
eulogos
eulogos began at the beginning.

Device: none
I had Nook Simple touch, loved it. My daughter said she wanted an ebook with a built in light because she does all her reading in bed after her boyfriend has gone to sleep. When Nook Glow came out I immediately bought her one. Then I got really frustrated with the light I had for my Nook, one of those twisty stem ones, which would never stay pointed at the right angle. I bought the Glow which I love, and shipped off the Touch to a daughter without a live in boyfriend to be bothered by her keeping a light on when reading at night.

I think the edge of the Glow, which is grey where the Touch is black, is somehow sharper and less nice to hold than the Touch. Otherwise it is perfect.

Well, not completely perfect. I want it to 1. have audio and a mike jack 2.text to speech 3. 3G. I have all of these things on my Kindle. Also, it is easier to get the books from Amazon than from B&N. B&N always makes me log in; Amazon remembers who I am on both my home and work computer. But the Kindle Touch skips pages, the keyboard Kindle is not quite so nice to hold, and I keep forgetting and trying to turn pages with a touch! So no, there is no quite perfect ereader.

But I got here from trying to find more free books for Nook because I enjoy reading on it more than on the Kindle, on which I have a couple hundred books, vs. maybe 30 on the Nook.
Susan Peterson
eulogos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2012, 06:03 AM   #21
rhermans
rhermans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhermans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhermans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhermans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhermans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhermans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhermans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhermans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhermans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhermans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhermans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook touch glow in the dark
It's already mentioned that those 6 led's on top aren't impressive, but after using all kinds of extra lights on my bebook they do the job better than any of the external lights I've tried. I doesn't has to look impressive it only has to work and it does. This was the reason for my upgrade and I'm still happy with it.
rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:09 PM   #22
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Weathering the heat wave

I was trying to read night before last--actually, I was trying to sleep but it was way too hot for that! I turned off everything in the house that generated any heat. Good news is that the Nook Glow produces no appreciable heat and lights the screen perfectly so last night I made sure every heat producer was off except for moments when it was absolutely necessary (like brewing coffee) all day and turned my Nook Glow on in the evening when the light got murky. The house was still hot and I don't know how much it helped but it sure made me feel better.

Like others here I've used dozens of book lights and nothing works half as well as the Nook Glow.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:56 PM   #23
susaz
Zealot
susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashed View Post
I see, but it does make me wonder. I know on Gizmodo.com the review dropped a remote control on his Nook Glowlight and the glowlight screen got scratched good. I wonder if that will be a issue.

Which makes me consider buying a screen guard....hopefully it doesn't mess the screen up.
From the inside flap of the box "Anti-glare screen protector already installed, please do not install any additional screen protector"...
Old 07-08-2012, 06:50 PM   #24
Mujokan
Connoisseur
Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashed View Post
I know on Gizmodo.com the review dropped a remote control on his Nook Glowlight and the glowlight screen got scratched good.
I don't think it was scratched. The Glow screen includes a "diffraction grating" to distribute the light more evenly. This was probably damaged by the impact.

More than scratches, people should probably watch out for putting pressure on the screen that might distort the diffraction grating. I guess it is possible that the diffraction grating actually weakened the screen a little bit.
Mujokan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:28 PM   #25
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
I'm enjoying my glow Nook ST a LOT. But I am being extra paranoid about it (putting it face down when the kids are up an about, for example, and being more careful about where I lay it).

I'm enjoying the upgrade. It's nice not to have to go grab a new AAA battery for my light when the battery dies at random...plus the reduced bulk of not having a light in the case to manage.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:55 PM   #26
susaz
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
I'm enjoying my glow Nook ST a LOT. But I am being extra paranoid about it (putting it face down when the kids are up an about, for example, and being more careful about where I lay it).

I'm enjoying the upgrade. It's nice not to have to go grab a new AAA battery for my light when the battery dies at random...plus the reduced bulk of not having a light in the case to manage.
We´re developing a new kind of obsession: Putting the Nook face down...
Old 07-20-2012, 09:09 AM   #27
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by susaz View Post
We´re developing a new kind of obsession: Putting the Nook face down...
I invested in a flip case that's easy to close - Javoedge Editor Flip - I had it and loved it on my Nook Color. Should be here next week. Closes with a magnet, you just have to flip the top over. Should make me less paranoid.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:18 PM   #28
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
I loved my glow light until I had it about a month and it developed extreme ghosting and fragmented text. I got it at Best Buy. They took it back and gave me a new one.

It was never dropped. I did leave it on the charger a few hours longer than necessary at the time the problems began, but have done so with my Kindles and Sony with no resultant problems. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a cure in case it happens again?
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:29 AM   #29
tdonline
Addict
tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Nook Simple Touch
I've checked it out a few times as I live very close to a BN. I'm tempted to get one as reading on the subway platforms is a real hassle since Washington DC's stations are so dimly lit. I usually lean against an advertisement stand so I can use the light.

I haven't switched because I can't get over the down-grade in text quality. Yes, it's not huge but for it's noticeable. What I love about my Touch is the crispness of the text and I find the Glow to be slightly fuzzy. I know this will drive me crazy and it's why I've held off. Hopefully Glow 2.0 will remedy this situation.
tdonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:46 PM   #30
Ryzir
Connoisseur
Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Nook GL3, Kobo H2O, Nook STG, Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdonline View Post
I haven't switched because I can't get over the down-grade in text quality. Yes, it's not huge but for it's noticeable. What I love about my Touch is the crispness of the text and I find the Glow to be slightly fuzzy. I know this will drive me crazy and it's why I've held off. Hopefully Glow 2.0 will remedy this situation.
I went to my local B&N and looked at the NST and Glow side by side and the text was really washed out on the Glow. I read from a few different sources that later batches of Glows didn't have this issue so I went to Best Buy (30 day returns) and picked one up. I prefer the text on the Glow over my NST. There is a difference between the two but I think the Glow has slightly better contrast than my NST.

I was on the fence to upgrade since the Glow came out but I couldn't be happier with it right now (As long as I don't get any "light leaks").
Ryzir is offline   Reply With Quote