Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 04-13-2011, 04:43 PM   #1
gdgibson
gdgibson began at the beginning.

Device: All
Indesign CS5 to ePub: epubcheck error

So I've exported a book from IDCS5 to ePub and, for the first time, run it through ePubcheck. Most of the errors involve pretty minor stuff, easily edited, but one has me stumped:

Quote:
WARNING: /Users/. . . file.epub: item (__MACOSX/OEBPS/._template.css) exists in the zip file, but is not declared in the OPF file
I tried editing the OPF file in TextEdit (via Springy) and it sort of worked, in that I didn't get this error when I ran epubcheck again. Unfortunately it now says that none of my image files are referenced in the opf (coincidentally, all the references appear below the change I made in the file). So I clearly screwed up the coding.

So - two questions: first, can someone point me to an all-purpose primer on editing the OPF file? And how is it possible that IDCS5 would fail to include the template.css in the OPF file? Does this happen a lot?

By the way, here's the line of code I added (in bold), with the previous and succeeding line in roman:

Quote:
<item id="[filename]" href="[filename].xhtml" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/><item id>="template" href="template.css" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/><item id="[filename]" href="images/[filename].jpeg" media-type="image/jpeg"/>
and here's the standard error message for the missing items:

Quote:
WARNING: /Users/[filename].epub: item (OEBPS/images/[filename].jpeg) exists in the zip file, but is not declared in the OPF file
Any help will be appreciated!
gdgibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 05:40 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
<item id="[filename]" href="[filename].xhtml" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/><item id>="template" href="template.css" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/><item id="[filename]" href="images/[filename].jpeg" media-type="image/jpeg"/>
You have a > between id and =. This is wrong.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2011, 01:01 PM   #3
gdgibson
gdgibson began at the beginning.

Device: All
How embarrassing. But I solved this and a number of other problems by exporting from epub to epub in Calibre.

Thanks for the help!
gdgibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:26 AM   #4
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
I think the (__MACOSX/OEBPS/._template.css) files are invisible files the macs leaves behind. I see ._store files left around in every directory that the macs open. I think files with dot underscore are invisible to the macs. So they exist but because you can't see it it would stuff up the inventory.

Just a wild guess, but worth following up.

Edit: Another thought. The dot underscore file would have been created when you edited the OPF. Indesign wouldn't have written it. Try epubchecking before you open the epub and see if you get the same error. If you don't, then edit it and if you get the same error ask the mac community how they do it.

found this link for you. hope it helps. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55681

Last edited by wannabee; 04-20-2011 at 01:34 AM.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote