Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-13-2011, 11:54 PM   #1
s1mp13m4n
Zealot
s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Uninstall Jailbreak and screensaver hack

Hello everyone. I have a K3 wifi us version. I have the jailbreak and the screensaver hack installed. I am thinking about making the Kindle stock again as I just do not see much to the screensaver hack. How do I do this? I see guides on how to do the hack but not how to remove it. I tried the k3wuninstall.bin file in the root directory but the update failed so said the Kindle.
s1mp13m4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 12:07 AM   #2
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
You need to use the same version'd uninstaller as the one you used during install. Also, if you've already uninstalled the jailbreak hack, you must install it again before you can uninstall the screensaver hack. Always install the jailbreak hack first, and uninstall it last.
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2011, 12:28 AM   #3
s1mp13m4n
Zealot
s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.

I figured it out. I copied the Documents folder from the Kindle 3 to the computer. Then selected restore to factory defaults from the Kindle menu, then placed that folder back on the Kindle. All is stock and working fine now. It was that simple.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:51 AM   #4
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
I have read that Factory Defaults does NOT remove the hacks but I could be wrong - you may just have eliminated the folders but the hacks are still lurking????
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 01:03 PM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Yep, a factory reset doesn't uninstall Hacks. It just happens to *disable* mine as a side-effect, but they're still installed.

FYI, kranu's answer was spot on (except you can use the uninstallers from the latest versions in the case of my hacks, but if you still have the files you used, there's no reason to do that ).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2011, 06:04 PM   #6
s1mp13m4n
Zealot

I tried the uninstallers I kept getting an error and the unit would reset, that is why I did what I did. It is no real big deal it is just that in the past I have found that when you start messing with something...say an iPod and crack it you end up opening up unexpected problems. You overclock a PC and may end up with unexpected issues for example. I was just trying to go stock again to make sure nothing goes wrong. I got cold feet after I did the hack. LOL Are there really any issues with performing the hack....I mean is it likely to cause a problem?

Last edited by s1mp13m4n; 03-14-2011 at 06:10 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:31 PM   #7
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What kind of error? It shouldn't happen, unless you did something wrong (no jailbreak installed, reboot with a custom .bin instead of using the Update Your Kindle link, that kind of stuff...).
Old 03-14-2011, 10:02 PM   #8
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1mp13m4n View Post
I tried the uninstallers I kept getting an error and the unit would reset, that is why I did what I did. It is no real big deal it is just that in the past I have found that when you start messing with something...say an iPod and crack it you end up opening up unexpected problems. You overclock a PC and may end up with unexpected issues for example. I was just trying to go stock again to make sure nothing goes wrong. I got cold feet after I did the hack. LOL Are there really any issues with performing the hack....I mean is it likely to cause a problem?
really?!
I've never heard of any real problems from jailbreaking a kindle.
Ditto for ipods (5.5gen) which I like to install rockbox on. it's much better than the stock firmware and it will play FLAC files.
sometimes an iOS device will give you some trouble but not really.
but kindles.. never seen an issue.

overclocking: well if you know what your doing it is okay, but if you're not a hardcore gamer why bother, and if you are a hardcore gamer then you probably know what you're doing.
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:43 PM   #9
s1mp13m4n
Zealot

Thanks for the help. I did the Rockbox mod on my 3rd gen 40GB iPod and I had trouble with it....music would skip and not cache correctly. That is why I mentioned it. Thanks again for the help. I am just a bit cautious I guess, probably worried about nothing. LOL
Old 03-14-2011, 10:57 PM   #10
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1mp13m4n View Post
Thanks for the help. I did the Rockbox mod on my 3rd gen 40GB iPod and I had trouble with it....music would skip and not cache correctly. That is why I mentioned it. Thanks again for the help. I am just a bit cautious I guess, probably worried about nothing. LOL
I wasn't too sure if you really meant ipods or iOS devices.

hmm.. are you sure you used the right build for it?
How long ago did you do that? the builds have much improved since the latest update IMO.

anyway, I have rockbox installed on 3 different ipods (I know..) and have never had an issue. I find ipods really boring without it.

sorry folks.
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 11:23 AM   #11
tirej
tirej began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2nd generation(B003 version)
Hi everyone;
I bought an second hand kindle 2nd generation(3G version) on internet. Today I tried to update it but I could not. there is an message on screen "the update was not successful your kindle is restarting" and at bottom of screen U007. I search on google I find this forum İt is about 3 hour I am reading something to recover my device its original statue for updating from 2.3 version to 2.5.8 but I could not. It's first owner not me therefore I don not know if it is hacked or not. Is there any way to fix this.(Please give explanations clear for ordinary people. I am new user therefore I may not recognize all terms directly)
tirej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 11:42 AM   #12
NiLuJe
BLAM!

That *really* shouldn't happen. That looks like a way, way broken jailbreak (or a way, way broken root fs).

Try *uninstalling* the JailBreak (use the latest package).
If it works, restart your device before trying the official update again.
Old 06-20-2014, 01:46 PM   #13
tirej

I did it step by step carefully putting "Update_jailbreak_0.12.N_k2i_uninstall.bin" in root of my device and clicking update it work very well and at end of the procedure I see an message of successful then I restart the device and putted the file "Update_kindle_2.5.8_B003.bin" it gives same error. Shortly it did not work for me. is there others method for this issue.(in your message you say broken root fs it this happen how can understand it and how I can repair?)
Old 06-20-2014, 02:02 PM   #14
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@tirej: Still a U007 error the second time?
Old 06-20-2014, 02:09 PM   #15
tirej

yes
"update was not successful" message and U007 at left bottom of screen