Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-16-2011, 02:14 PM   #391
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Or you can do it on the cheap like I did: Get one of the Wi-Fi only iPads and avoid the monthly service charge altogether. The downside is, of course, I only have access to the Internet at home or other locations that offer Wi-Fi.
You could pair an iPod Touch with a MiFi... a MiFi you only pay for data... Virgin Mobile has a pre-paid one too... http://www.virginmobileusa.com/mobil...mifi-2200.html

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 10:26 PM   #392
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My wife just got me a LG Optimus V as an early father's day gift. So, I guess I'm out of the club.

BOb
Advert
Old 05-31-2011, 08:32 AM   #393
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
My wife just got me a LG Optimus V as an early father's day gift. So, I guess I'm out of the club.

BOb
Drat. Only a few of us old fogies left. My old LG broke and I went to buy a replacement at VZW. I said I wanted the dumbest phone on the planet. I had to settle for one with a camera, though. But I'm hoping this means I get to stay in the club for another five years or so.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:23 AM   #394
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Only if you don't use the camera.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:24 AM   #395
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
Drat. Only a few of us old fogies left. My old LG broke and I went to buy a replacement at VZW. I said I wanted the dumbest phone on the planet. I had to settle for one with a camera, though. But I'm hoping this means I get to stay in the club for another five years or so.
We're getting more and more rare, that's true...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2011, 07:27 AM   #396
Shimarenda
Addict
Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Tablet
Is there a group for those of us who don't have a cellphone?
Shimarenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:27 AM   #397
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimarenda View Post
Is there a group for those of us who don't have a cellphone?
The only reason I joined the cellphone group is because a couple of years ago one of my son's ladyfriends though I should have a cell, so she gave me her old phone. The only reason my wife got a cell phone is because I recently bought one for her.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:01 AM   #398
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
The only reason I joined the cellphone group is because a couple of years ago one of my son's ladyfriends though I should have a cell, so she gave me her old phone. The only reason my wife got a cell phone is because I recently bought one for her.
I am enjoying my new phone. I always wanted to be part of the smartphone crowd, but never thought it was worth $70 or so a month service. But, with Virgin Mobile's $25 unlimited messaging and data plan, which is an amount I am willing to pay... I'm cool again...!

Although Sprints network isn't awesome... if I win the powerball I am definitely changing over to Verizon... they have awesome coverage around here.

BOb
Old 06-02-2011, 11:13 AM   #399
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I liked my T-Mobile Sidekick when I had it, BOb, but T-Mobile's coverage left a bit to be desired.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:23 AM   #400
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Scratch what I said before, just got a LG Optimus One.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 02:59 AM   #401
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The only reason I got one was because I was going by public transport on a daily basis. And my husband lived closer to home. That way I could call I would be later due to a delay on the train service. We still have the most simple subscription. And primarily use the mobile phone to tell we'll be home later.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:29 AM   #402
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
The only reason I got one was because I was going by public transport on a daily basis. And my husband lived closer to home. That way I could call I would be later due to a delay on the train service. We still have the most simple subscription. And primarily use the mobile phone to tell we'll be home later.
They're good for things like that and emergencies, but I've never been one for talking on a phone. Very very few people have my number.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:41 AM   #403
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
They're good for things like that and emergencies, but I've never been one for talking on a phone. Very very few people have my number.
My mother, my brothers, my sisters-in-law, my parents-in-law and those companies that need to contact me during office hours, such as my car repair shop.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:43 AM   #404
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

I got to play with a HTC Desire HD today. Looks nice, reacts fast, but I would never want one for a phone... I'd be annoyed with it after 5 minutes. And those fingerprints! Horrible!

(I had to play with it for my profession, as I have to test what I make...)
Old 06-27-2011, 02:49 AM   #405
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Seeing this thread, it's time to see if I'm qualified for membership. I have a cell phone, but it's a very basic pre-paid phone that I use only for emergencies (I only turn it on when I need to use it). It has no music player, no camera, no internet browsing, a few limited PDA-type functions that I don't make use of, and a few preloaded games that I don't play.

It can do text messaging, but I almost never use it for that purpose (I used it only once just see how it worked, and it took me a long time to figure out how to do capital letters on the phone). Overall, I dislike talking on cell phones and if it wasn't for emergencies, I wouldn't have one at all. Except while on the go, I do all of my phone calls on my home landline.

As far as old technology goes, I do carry an old-fashioned numeric pager. I use it as a way to avoid junk calls since only people I really want/need to talk to have the number. As far as it's old technology credentials go, it is powered by a single non-rechargeable akaline AA battery (I leave the pager on at all times, and the battery lasts more than a month). If I get a page, I manually dial the phone number into my phone to call.

Also provided as support for membership is my Digital Audio Player (DAP). The one I use only has one main function: it plays music. As secondary functions it can play videos and display pictures but due to the small screen (about 2 inches diagonal) it is not much use to me for that function so I no longer use it for that purpose. Plus it has something you rarely see in any of the current DAPs: only physical controls (no touch screen and controls).

I did recently try to upgrade to a more modern touch screen DAP with many more functions (including wi-fi, web browsing, and FM radio) and more memory. I found the player difficult to use when on the go and found that I didn't enjoy using it because its complexity got in the way of me using it as an audio player. In the end, I returned to using my older, and more simple, DAP.

I tend to prefer devices that each do a single function well. I find that works better than having a number of functions in a single device, especially when the functions contradict each other (when watching videos and reading ebooks you want a large screen, but you want a small screen on portable devices).

Thank you for your consideration of my membership in the "All My Phone Does I Make Calls And Text" Support Group. Thanks for reading.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote