Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 11:30 PM   #1261
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
oooclll...

1) treat collections as they are as a version 1. I'm looking into something similar to what you're describing as well as 'demarcations'.
2) I'm experimenting with a 'sync-back' of metadata over OPDS. It is complex and will take a while.
3) if you count email, iTunes, Dropbox, OPDS and the web browser, there a 5 ways to get books in Marvin. Isn't this a good thing? I'm working on even more ways. As a convenience Marvin's OPDS browser lets you download 'foreign types' such as PDF or mobi books into another app. If you happen to have a mobi book you'd like to read in kindle, isn't it good that Marvin 'plays nice' and less you get it wirelessly? I cannot offer the same in Dropbox because it will slow down the file listing process.

For better or worse, I'm sifting through 250 feature requests and working on the iPhone version so it will take some time.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:20 AM   #1262
maxjens
Connoisseur
maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad & Bebook Neo
Quote:
Originally Posted by kguil View Post

For better or worse, I'm sifting through 250 feature requests and working on the iPhone version so it will take some time.
Could you give us a view of those request and which you will be picking up. Perhaps in the first post? Now i sometimes get the urge to request the same feature again, love to know what you will pick up and what not
Old 04-23-2013, 07:21 AM   #1263
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by kguil View Post
As a convenience Marvin's OPDS browser lets you download 'foreign types' such as PDF or mobi books into another app. If you happen to have a mobi book you'd like to read in kindle, isn't it good that Marvin 'plays nice' and less you get it wirelessly?
I have a feature request related to this functionality. In the OPDS browser Marvin only shows the details for books that are available in EPUB format. Others can be downloaded, but there is no option to display the cover or description. Could that be added?

Thanks for the great app!
Old 04-23-2013, 08:09 AM   #1264
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

maxjens. Working on that.

jhowell. Noted.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:31 PM   #1265
humler
humler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'humler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'humler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'humler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'humler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'humler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'humler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'humler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'humler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'humler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'humler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
How would we summarize all the feature requests/and things that Kris has addressed so far that haven't been finalized yet? I could add it to the first page if that helps since it's a pretty big thread now.
Kris, again, great update. I agree with Jessica it would be nice to have a summary of requests, maybe in the first post of the thread. Some of mine are:
- expand images to the limits of the screen in comics
- google drive sync
- would it be possible to add a search function within vocabulary?

Thanks a lot, Kris
Old 04-23-2013, 04:57 PM   #1266
kguil
Addict

Hi humler. I noted down your ideas. I'm hoping to have search in vocabulary soon.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:17 PM   #1267
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Humler, a few of us are working on the summaries, should be up next week.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:45 PM   #1268
kguil
Addict

Updated roadmap: http://marvinapp.com/whatsnew.html
Old 04-24-2013, 05:02 PM   #1269
humler
humler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'humler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'humler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'humler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'humler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'humler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'humler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'humler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'humler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'humler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'humler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: none
Kris, Jessica, thank you both.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:35 PM   #1270
crashnburn
Groupie
crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad1 iOS 5.1.1b, iPhone 4
Is there a thread/ location/ tutorial that outlines steps/ best practices for converting PDFs to ePUBs?

I have some PDFs that I am reading & highlighting in Good Reader I'd like to push to ePub so that I could do so in Marvin instead.

I am sure faterson has expertise on this. Wondering if there is a thread/ tutorial / steps that are a recommended read.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:45 PM   #1271
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Exclamation

I indeed have expertise on that, and that expertise says: don't bother!

It's sad but true. My daily reading is split roughly evenly between Marvin and GoodReader, precisely because converting PDFs to EPUBs is often a hopeless undertaking. And, many books (especially old, scanned editions) are only available as PDF files -- or the EPUB versions of the same texts are of such ridiculously bad quality, they are unreadable. (Yes, I'm talking about you, archive.org.)

Only this weekend, I was converting a short novel (novelette), 25 thousand words, 45 pages of PDF source file, from PDF to EPUB, precisely so that I could enjoy reading it in Marvin, rather than GoodReader.

I used the best available OCR software for the conversion, which is FineReader.

Even so, it took me nearly 5 hours (!) to convert the PDF file so that I was satisfied with the EPUB result. It's just impractical. However, this was a novelette I deeply cared about, so I was willing to sacrifice the 5 hours of my time for the conversion. I would, of course, not be ready to do that on a regular basis, because my remuneration for the work was exactly 0 cents. The only reward I'll get will be the pleasure of reading that file in Marvin. Hell, that's enough for me (in this special case).
Old 04-24-2013, 05:50 PM   #1272
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Lightbulb

PS: If, despite the above warning, you decide to go ahead, I recommend not to use Calibre for PDF conversion. I've had better results using the old Mobipocket Reader (killed by Amazon similarly to Stanza). Here is the install file for Windows. The result of the automatic, one-click conversion will still be very poor, but that's just the way it is.

For optimal quality of conversion from PDF to EPUB, you need to sacrifice all those extra hours of manual work, and use top-quality OCR software such as FineReader. I create a HTML file in FineReader, then fine-tune that HTML file by manual coding (using the EditPlus plain-text editor for Windows) until its code is approved by W3C's validator. No fluff must be left inside the file -- the CSS must be minimalistic. Finally, I convert the HTML file to EPUB in Calibre, and that's it.

Last edited by Faterson; 04-24-2013 at 05:57 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:45 PM   #1273
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
I will add to that too and also give the same opinion. PDFs are usually designed to be printed and are made in programs like InDesign, Quark, and Acrobat which pretty much work as WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) editors.

Most of the text is done in individual boxes, one for the heading, one for each paragraph, column, etc. And they're layered, so you're just hoping that the writer did add them one after another, which is never the case. This becomes apparent when you're making selections and something else is being highlighted.

Stick any PDF document into Adobe's Acrobat editor, and you literally see how awful the setup is.

I would think OCR would work better with a flattened image, as long as it was 300dpi or more.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:33 PM   #1274
JayLaFunk
Connoisseur
JayLaFunk will become famous soon enoughJayLaFunk will become famous soon enoughJayLaFunk will become famous soon enoughJayLaFunk will become famous soon enoughJayLaFunk will become famous soon enoughJayLaFunk will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad
Is there a setting that I can switch on to have for viewing total pages of the book instead of percentage, eg - page 36 of 467, I have searched but can't find it...
Old 04-26-2013, 11:32 AM   #1275
kguil
Addict

Hi JayLaFunk. Sorry. You can't do that yet. I'm trying to make this happen.
Closed Thread