Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-10-2013, 10:35 AM   #541
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
OT: MODERATORS, This is the 3rd example I've seen this morning of underlined words in posts that cause a pop up advertisement to occur if you mouse over it. Is this new to MR? Or we now going to be inundated with pop up ads? Will we who post have no control over whether or not our thread contains these pop ups?
I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. I see no pop-up ads.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:36 AM   #542
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
EDIT: In post #530 the words "new account" are underlined and linked to an ad.
Not for me, they aren't. Is is possible that your browser is doing this?
Edit: Looking at the source for the page shows nothing odd near the text in question.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:41 AM   #543
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
OT: MODERATORS, This is the 3rd example I've seen this morning of underlined words in posts that cause a pop up advertisement to occur if you mouse over it. Is this new to MR? Or we now going to be inundated with pop up ads? Will we who post have no control over whether or not our thread contains these pop ups?

This is you, not MR; I see no underlined words. You've probably picked up some kind of malware that inflicts underlines and ads on internet content.

There's a few ways to go about getting rid of it; if the links all go to the same network of ads, google for solutions based on that; if it's only in one browser, google for help with that, otherwise, run an antivirus program and check out malwarebytes.org's forums for specific help.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:43 AM   #544
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:

That's something to do with your browser and plugins (or possibly even your service provider). There's no pop-up ad in the HTML coming from the MobileRead server.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:31 AM   #545
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:

I don't see this happening. Perhaps it is a browser setting?
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:29 PM   #546
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Sounds like jswinden has a virus or malware of some type.

http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/937969
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:51 PM   #547
Kirtai
Addict
Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-650, iPad, Samsung Galaxy SII (JB), Google Nexus 7 (2013)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherTD View Post
When WH Smith (UK bookseller) came to an agreement with Kobo my WHS ebooks appeared in my Kobo bookshelf overnight, with none of this code nonsense.
I had some minor trouble with this but it got sorted out quite quickly. Though I note that the books are listed under reading but not under purchased

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherTD View Post
This B&N affair is farcial.
Absolutely.
Kirtai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:12 PM   #548
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I know this has been a royal cluster. But - assuming everyone eventually gets most of their books converted - it's better than what Simon & Schuster did back in....2003? 2004? Just sent emails saying "better download them now or you're losing them". No offer to convert them to some other site.

Then a year later, they were selling ebooks again, but they weren't willing to put those old titles back in your bookshelf.

I never went back to buying ebooks from them, despite the fact they had very nice regular discounts. I was afraid it would be back to "oops, sorry, we're quitting again"
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:24 PM   #549
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
I know this has been a royal cluster. But - assuming everyone eventually gets most of their books converted - it's better than what Simon & Schuster did back in....2003? 2004? Just sent emails saying "better download them now or you're losing them". No offer to convert them to some other site.

Then a year later, they were selling ebooks again, but they weren't willing to put those old titles back in your bookshelf.

I never went back to buying ebooks from them, despite the fact they had very nice regular discounts. I was afraid it would be back to "oops, sorry, we're quitting again"
I imagine Barnes and Noble would appreciate the bar being set that low.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:19 PM   #550
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post

Both Amazon and B&N did the same thing as I recall, although I don't know if they warned folks with an email.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:05 AM   #551
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Harper Collins closed their ebook stored with just a little bit of notice that it was going away just over two years ago. No transfer to anywhere.

Mind you I'd only bought three books there. I've got 1450 in my Fictionwise library!
Old 01-11-2013, 01:35 PM   #552
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
UK members, if they signed up for the transfer, should have got an email telling them to make sure the email addresses matched.

See my post from the 21st December.

That I did not get ! ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:37 PM   #553
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:

I had a problem with underlined words in my browsers and MSN Messenger for a long while. I traced it to some software that had migrated to my PC. Well ridded of ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:10 PM   #554
rleguillow
Always Reading
rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: FW 1192, PRS-700, kobo, Rocket, PRS-650, Nook Glow, Kobo Glo, others
Well, I'm as willing as the next person to gripe about things, so it is a nice change now and then to say something positive. I'd basically given up on getting my books (I had 135 books over on Fictionwise). The other day I was on B&N for something and I realized that my Nook shelf had a lot more books on it than I expected. If I'm counting this right, they've managed at least 123 of that 135 - and I know I did not download a few of them, because I had already bought them again and don't want duplicates on my reader. So I'm willing to bet all 135 are there. It took a long time, and there were no further communications from B&N after the initial sign-up. But I have a nice batch of "new" books to load on my reader, some of which I bought and read so long ago they are once again new to me - I have no memory of them at all.

So please excuse me now, while I go find a cuppa tea and sit down with a good book.

Good luck to all of you with this. Maybe, with time, B&N will come through.
rleguillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:24 PM   #555
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
That I did not get ! ....
Check your spam folder. The email came from NOOK <barnesandnoble@m.bn.com> and had a subject line of "News About Your New NOOK(R) Library"

And, of course, make sure you have a UK nook account with an email address the same as your fictionwise account's email address.