Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 10-23-2012, 05:59 PM   #16
iPatty
Zealot
iPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle2 KFHD 7, Galaxy 10.1
I WANT an iPad mini but the cost is still too high for me. :-(
iPatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:04 PM   #17
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Well, after seeing the new iPad Mini, I guess I'm canceling my Kindle Fire HD 8.9" order. By the beginning of the month, I will have already gotten the new iPad in my hands, and the Kindle Fire HD will still be weeks away.

I think there will be many others who haven't got their hands on one yet doing the same thing. In the end, with all the taxes, I'm pretty much paying the same price anyway, except the iPad wouldn't have the ads everywhere.

Oh well.
Sorry to hear it Jessica. I know you had quite a few posts about rooting the Fire and such....do you jailbreak your iphone?

Personally, I'm an android guy but my wife has an iphone and ipad. I guess the mini is especially useful if you're already invested in the apple ecosystem.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a retina ipad mini with the A6 chip in just a few short months. I bet Apple rushed a lower end mini to cut into Nexus/Fire sales over xmas.

I know lots of people are very upset (macrumors) about the iPad 3 being replaced in only 7 months.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:13 PM   #18
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Credits from 2 chargers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
It's $249 on Amazon's site. Did you have credits or something?

Carol
I have credits from two chargers I purchased. Since then they have dropped the price of the chargers and do not offer the credits.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:15 PM   #19
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
Sorry to hear it Jessica. I know you had quite a few posts about rooting the Fire and such....do you jailbreak your iphone?

Personally, I'm an android guy but my wife has an iphone and ipad. I guess the mini is especially useful if you're already invested in the apple ecosystem.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a retina ipad mini with the A6 chip in just a few short months. I bet Apple rushed a lower end mini to cut into Nexus/Fire sales over xmas.

I know lots of people are very upset (macrumors) about the iPad 3 being replaced in only 7 months.
I could care less about Retina. I have it on my iPhone 4, but I use a Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket as my main phone (the iPhone 4 back was falling apart and I couldn't wait for the 5) and I like the regular screen. Don't care much about the chip either as I'm not going to do stuff that requires it.

I have jailbroken my iPhones since they came out with jailbreaking (amazing time, before the app store even!). I can't WAIT to jailbreak the mini! I'm going to squeeze as many apps as I can in the first home screen.

Apple needed to do it now as this is when parents buy stuff like laptops for the upcoming semester. I don't think they'll refresh it quick this time around, it's just that the iPad 3 was overheating among other things so they needed to go back to the drawing board.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:19 PM   #20
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post

At first it made me angry until I heard the specs and remembered that my original iPad3 still has the old connector. I bet the iPad3's with the original connectors will be preferred by those with iPad1's and 2's looking to upgrade but who already have several connector related peripherals and aftermarket items. I'm still not liking that new connector as it seems to me just another way to squeeze more money out of the iDevice owners.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:31 PM   #21
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Even so, the Lightning connector is amazing. Seeing 3GB zip through my iPod Nano in less than two minutes is so amazing.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:17 AM   #22
iPatty
Zealot
iPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura about

Jessica, you've been such a great KF expert. Don't go away when you get you're iPad.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:20 AM   #23
iPatty
Zealot

That should be your iPad. I've committed one of the biggest internet offenses.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:30 AM   #24
Jessica Lares
Wizard

Of course not! I'm giving the KF to my dad (actually going to start setting it up for him today, waiting for it to charge), but I'll still be here anyway.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:06 PM   #25
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Even so, the Lightning connector is amazing. Seeing 3GB zip through my iPod Nano in less than two minutes is so amazing.
What's so amazing about it? It's just a wrapper around USB2.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:12 PM   #26
Jessica Lares
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
What's so amazing about it? It's just a wrapper around USB2.
Well, I don't get those write speeds on my USB 2 cords, nor with my iPhone 4.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:22 PM   #27
jswinden
Nameless Being

Here is a side by side comparison showing the Lightening connector verses the 30 pin connector. The Lightening is only marginally faster. Certainly nothing to get excited about. I think it is just more Apple marketing hype--Apple said it was much faster and therefore it is! Yeah right...

Old 10-24-2012, 12:39 PM   #28
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Of course not! I'm giving the KF to my dad (actually going to start setting it up for him today, waiting for it to charge), but I'll still be here anyway.
Hi Jessica,

Totally off topic, but do you know of a good app killer app for android phones. My brother has an android phone and some app keeps eating his battery. Maybe a Google app that is causing the trouble.

Thanks
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:54 PM   #29
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Here is a side by side comparison showing the Lightening connector verses the 30 pin connector. The Lightening is only marginally faster. Certainly nothing to get excited about. I think it is just more Apple marketing hype--Apple said it was much faster and therefore it is! Yeah right...
Interesting video. The file transfer was completed in 45.2 seconds vs 49.7 seconds (about 9% faster).

I wondered whether the fact that the iPhone 5's A6 processor has twice the speed of the iPhone 4S's A5 chip would also contribute to that increase in file transfer speed. (Probably not, I guess, on reflection.)

Graham

Last edited by Graham; 10-24-2012 at 12:56 PM.
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:01 PM   #30
Jessica Lares
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
Hi Jessica,

Totally off topic, but do you know of a good app killer app for android phones. My brother has an android phone and some app keeps eating his battery. Maybe a Google app that is causing the trouble.

Thanks
I use Norton Spot (it's free). It runs a scan and lets you know what apps are pushing out ads, using your GPS, and have weird behaviors. That can help as most ad supported apps do other weird things.

And jswinden, I'm just stating from my own tests, which I did on a G4, a G5, and my MacBook Pro. That video didn't actually show you the device syncing either.