Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-17-2012, 06:18 AM   #1
steboni
steboni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steboni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steboni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steboni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steboni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steboni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steboni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steboni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steboni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steboni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steboni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
yellow light blinking and nothing more

Hi all,
I'm a new owner of this e-book reader, but I think I'v made an error trying to do the rooting process.. with rupor Minimal root package.. please help me.
First of all I've tired to upgrade the reader with sony package. It said that it's already upgraded (1.0.04 ).
Then I dowloaded the zip file, extracted on my laptop with win7 64 and started the bat file, with the reader still connected to the usb in tranfer mode.
The dos windows says CRC error on transferring the first and the second APK files, then I stop the upgrade, shutdown the reader ... and that's all.
Yellow led blinking .. no way to recover it (as far as I know... but I hope someone could tell me different things).
I' ve tried to put it in recovery mode but there 's no Reader.. screen, no way to communicate with the reader..I've tried to use SD recovery but I can't reach first step...

tell me something, please.. thanks in advance

Steboni
steboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 11:38 AM   #2
sheep
sheep began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Pocket Edition
Wish I could help. My PRS-350 is stuck in the yellow blinking mode as well. From what I've been reading this is the system getting stuck trying to read a corrupt file and I've found no solutions other than bringing the unit in for service.
sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 12:47 PM   #3
david8866
Zealot
david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Have you tried a hard reset yet?
Do a hard reset, wait, see whether it gives a message, similar to 'firmware (or system) update fail'? If so, update with Sony's original firmware.

"Hard Reset,
Power off (press powerbutton 3 seconds and choose yes) and back on. While the ereader starts it shows "opening book", at that moment press -and hold- the buttons next page and back (button 2 and 4). Allow the Home screen to fully load (Loading... should no longer flash in the top left corner of your screen) and then, while you still pressed the next page and back button... release the back button, press the back button, release the back button (while still pressing the next page button), and at last, release the next page button. Then the screen shows: Would you like to execute Factory Initialize? Then choose "yes"."
david8866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 12:57 PM   #4
sheep
sheep began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Pocket Edition
If the screen won't turn on there's no way to do a hard reset.
sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 01:34 PM   #5
steboni
steboni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steboni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steboni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steboni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steboni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steboni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steboni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steboni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steboni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steboni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steboni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, but no sign on screen... no hard reset... i' was wondering if there's a "blind" way .. or a hidden switch...

Last edited by steboni; 06-17-2012 at 01:45 PM.
steboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 06:37 PM   #6
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
I shouldn't think you have any call on a warranty now .......... after the .... non-standard improvements.......
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:48 AM   #7
KernelDev0815
KernelDev0815 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS T1
Got a blank, "dead"(?) device? Not so fast, there might be some clues remaining!
At least it might still be possible to get it to do USB storage transfer.

I've got a PRS-T1 with what seems to be display problems (stays blank whatever I do).
No reset efforts whatsoever helped (restricted to those suitable for firmly staying in non-rooted / non-recovery areas...).
PRS-T1 "Data Transfer Mode" still worked, though:
I wrote a nice little shell script (Linux) to immediately detect a newly registered device:

# cat /usr/local/sbin/prs_t1_rescue.sh
#!/bin/sh

while :; do
for suff in b c d b1 b2 c1 c2 d1 d2; do
dd if=/dev/sd${suff} of=/dev/null count=1 2>/dev/null && echo "sd${suff} OK" || echo -n '-'
sleep 0.03
done
done

(make sure to adapt the list of devices to not include any PC-side ones)

Then I tried hitting the "Data Transfer Mode" acknowledge button that's supposed to appear on the display once connected to PC. Guess what - it worked, it did specifically connect USB storage right after managing to hit the correct area on the *blank* screen (see e.g. http://t1-reader.ru/articles/howto-flash.html and "help with getting books onto PRS T1" http://www.sony.ru/discussions/message/720122 for images that show the Data Transfer Mode button display location).

Removing existing content of the internal storage did not help to make it work *in my case*, however. IOW, for me unfortunately it's an almost-DOA RMA case (wow, acronym party! . Oh well...
KernelDev0815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:43 AM   #8
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T1,Android Tablet, I phone
You have my sympathy... however.. why did you try and root the device? the T1 is an excellent reader as it is... if you wanted to play games etc you should have considered a cheap android tablet there are plenty about.. there is a lesson to be learned here folks... but I do hope you get it working again.. I have "bricked" a few devices myself in the pastlol btw if the sony store detects that you tried to root the device they may charge YOU FOR ANY SERVICE SO BE CAREFUL.. GOOD LUCK
bla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:27 AM   #9
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
If it's quite new you should have no issues getting it replaced mine mysteriously died a month or so ago, nothing I could do had any effect basicly one second it worked the next an unresponsive paperweight (about the only thing that might have worked is opening it and disconnecting the battery manually.)

Anyway point is I got a brand new one from where I bought it with no fuss at all although I've very little faith with the T1 reset button anymore (I think that's part of the problem I had).
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:11 PM   #10
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Reset T1 ........

Used mine 3 times, worked fine each time , and sorted out different problems each time (2 my fault! ).
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:26 AM   #11
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
Used mine 3 times, worked fine each time , and sorted out different problems each time (2 my fault! ).
I'm pretty sure the reset button went wrong on my first T1, on my second T1 the reset looks closer to the surface but the thing is the reset worked a few times on the original and it might have been like the second to start with.

Basicly I think the reset on the first one came loose or something and stopped working and the thing is I was always very delicate with it so I think it has the potential to go wrong again.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 10:17 PM   #12
vietchovui
Zealot
vietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS T1, Kobo Forma 8G, Kobo Libra H2O
I have the same problem. The T1 restarted after failed to open a comic book. The screen is now stuck at the 2 arrows forming a circle. Yellow light (integrated on the power button) keeps blinking all the time, the micro SD light does not flash.
Now I can do anything: Cannot connect T1 to PC, failed to do a factory reset or use the SD rescue / recovery set. I know It's more than 10 years old now and maybe needs a rest, but... how can I revive it?

Last edited by vietchovui; 07-06-2021 at 10:26 PM.
vietchovui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 12:53 AM   #13
DoctorM
Groupie
DoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and grace

Yeah, I have two bad T1 units. One of which is in this condition as well and was fine until I did something stupid and unnecessary with the firmware.
I've yet to find a solution.
DoctorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 03:32 AM   #14
vietchovui
Zealot
vietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS T1, Kobo Forma 8G, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post
Yeah, I have two bad T1 units. One of which is in this condition as well and was fine until I did something stupid and unnecessary with the firmware.
I've yet to find a solution.
I've tried all things in mobileread but in vain. I've made some google search and found that there is an "iron method" for recovery PRS T1 in 4pda forum. But I cannot login to download the pdf file. If you could, give it a try.
PS:[added] Have you tried to connect T1 to a windows 7 / 10 32 bit? Maybe there is a difference as stated here.

Last edited by vietchovui; 07-09-2021 at 04:08 AM. Reason: add ps
vietchovui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 10:19 PM   #15
DoctorM
Groupie
DoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and grace

I don't speak Russian, but it looks likea 404 error on the PDF... which means a dead link.
DoctorM is offline   Reply With Quote