Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 06-20-2012, 11:39 AM   #1
sfauzia
sfauzia began at the beginning.

Device: Boox M92 Black Pearl
M92 (Bigger/Thicker) Replacement Stylus: Not in Stock

Any chance that the replacement stylus will be in stock anytime soon? I am really interested in buying one.
sfauzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 03:35 PM   #2
colibri
colibri began at the beginning.

Device: M92
Hi,

look how I pimped my stylus
In my opinion there is no need to spend so much money just for a thicker stylus without extra features.

It took me less then 10minutes ...

And the stylus is still removable without any scratches.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG8021.JPG
Views:	986
Size:	309.3 KB
ID:	88084  
colibri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 06:06 PM   #3
sfauzia
sfauzia began at the beginning.

Device: Boox M92 Black Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by colibri View Post
look how I pimped my stylus
That does look really neat, I must admit, but I still need an eraser .
sfauzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:38 PM   #4
tuxor
Addict
tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Icarus Illumina E653
No eraser support on M92 afaik, no matter which pen you use.
tuxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:29 AM   #5
Read&Write
Enthusiast
Read&Write has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Onyx M92
Maybe I can help with some personal experience, since I bought a bigger stylus just recently. My intial thought was that it would be great to have a bigger stylus in order to write something down. However, I normally read technical texts on the M92 and if I want to "scribble" something into the text, it is normally just some words, not many sentences. For such a task, the smaller stylus is sufficient. Using the "annotation"-tool, the situation is no different. The only situation in which I would definitely prefer the bigger stylus is writing a lot of text in the scribble application. However, I find the scribble application less useful than initially thought (only one shade of grey as "colour", no eraser tool, having to use the device's buttons pretty often...), rendering the bigger stylus less of an improvement than expected.

Another aspect to consider is that the small stylus fits into the M92's case. A bigger one does not. Carrying the M92 around a lot, I tend to leave the bigger stylus at home more often than not.

As soon as there is an eraser function that is tied to a bigger stylus (many of them have a sort of "eraser" part on the back), I'll definitely go for the big one. Until then, the improvement in comfort is not as significant as I expected.

I hope this helps.
Read&Write is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:44 PM   #6
kodomo
M92 info archivist
kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.

Device: IRex Iliad 2nd ed., Onyx Boox M92, Onyx Boox Max Lumi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Read&Write View Post
Another aspect to consider is that the small stylus fits into the M92's case. A bigger one does not. Carrying the M92 around a lot, I tend to leave the bigger stylus at home more often than not.
I solved this by attaching a thin string to the thicker stylus which allows me to use the small stylus as a hook to hold the bigger one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Read&Write View Post
As soon as there is an eraser function that is tied to a bigger stylus (many of them have a sort of "eraser" part on the back), I'll definitely go for the big one. Until then, the improvement in comfort is not as significant as I expected.
Unfortunately: yes - afaik you can actually get the information about pressed stylus buttons (or pressure levels for that matter), but no application uses it (, yet? )

Cheers!
kodomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:22 AM   #7
uglyoldbob
uglyoldbob began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Is there any place to obtain a compatible large stylus with the eraser and side buttons?
uglyoldbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:45 PM   #8
FDD
Connoisseur
FDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglyoldbob View Post
Is there any place to obtain a compatible large stylus with the eraser and side buttons?
I'm interested to that too. There used to be more pens at Hanvon's site, in particular ES4-090Y1-K-HW and HWGC-090-101-3B-B, but it looks they are gone. I didn't manage to buy them anywhere, but if you do please let me know .

You must be aware that the extra buttons won't do anything, because there is no software support (my interest was as developer myself).

It should be easy for third party developers to add support in their own software, but I don't think multiple buttons will ever be supported in the official firmware.

Ciao!
FDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:47 PM   #9
uglyoldbob

Can anybody provide information regarding compability for the following styluses?
There is http://www.hanvon.com/en/products/co...ucts/pens.html , but no clue where to actually get them and there are no photos.

Anyways here is the list. I think some of these are the same based on photos.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/13044768?a...em+Description
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-pla-_-NA-_-NA
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000085BDB/..._df_B000085BDB
http://pcstyluspen.allmobilepricelis...let-pc-pen-ii/
http://pcstyluspen.allmobilepricelis...pen-wholesale/
Old 07-22-2012, 09:38 AM   #10
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
I can't remember where, but Booxter give a link on a compatible stylus in the Wacom's catalog. Booxter sells a compatible stylus.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:30 PM   #11
kodomo
M92 info archivist
kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.

Device: IRex Iliad 2nd ed., Onyx Boox M92, Onyx Boox Max Lumi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy11 View Post
I can't remember where, but Booxter give a link on a compatible stylus in the Wacom's catalog. Booxter sells a compatible stylus.
*cough* The Wiki remembers 'where' (Tips'n'Tweaks) ... that's what it's for :P

Cheers!
kodomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:24 PM   #12
uglyoldbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodomo View Post
*cough* The Wiki remembers 'where' (Tips'n'Tweaks) ... that's what it's for :P

Cheers!
Ok, so that brings me to a page that acknowledges that there are compatible styluses that exist for the M92 (I have seen that page already). Where exactly would a person purchase these from? The page on hanvon gives no hint or suggestion that they take orders for single units.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:52 AM   #13
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: see signature
If size is the only problem, I think a home-made solution is fine. This is my take on this (see attached photos).
The key is to use a pen which can be unscrewed in the middle. Cut off the tip just enough so the stylus can't slip out that way. Insert the spring on top of the stylus so it holds it nicely in place.
It's indeed much easier to write with. Storage is not as elegant as the factory solution, but it will keep you from losing the pen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	M92 stylus 1.JPG
Views:	560
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	89738   Click image for larger version

Name:	M92 stylus 2.JPG
Views:	432
Size:	802.0 KB
ID:	89739  

Last edited by Jmirko; 07-26-2012 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Upload photos
Jmirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:40 PM   #14
maman
maman began at the beginning.

Stlylus improvement

Thanks to Colibri's post I now also have a pimped stylus:

1,50 Euros for the pen + 5 min work => perfect stylus with cap!

[Image deleted - MODERATOR]

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 12-06-2013 at 11:49 AM.
maman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:15 AM   #15
FinancialWar
Banned
FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

Device: Sony PRS350, Onyx M92, Onyx T68 (defective!)
hi guys, what brand of pen do you use? I can't find any that would fit so this is my current solution

Last edited by FinancialWar; 12-29-2012 at 12:18 AM.
FinancialWar is offline   Reply With Quote