Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 06-02-2011, 01:54 AM   #1
Last_of_the_PEs
Groupie
Last_of_the_PEs began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage PE
Connecting PE to PC via USB is PITA

I've never really gotten my pocket edge to connect to my main PC via the USB cable. I get two drive letters (J: and K but clicking on either one says "Please insert a disk into drive K: (or J.

When I plug the small USB end into the edge, it doesn't acknowledge it at all -- doesn't prompt to do anything.

Using Windows XP SP3, what SHOULD I see?

I'll try USBDevView (from nirsoft.net) and see if I can wipe off stale USB device profiles, but it seems like this is failing even more than when I got the edge last month.

(updated)
Ok, I wiped a bunch of old USB device profiles, and now the PC "sees" the eDGe, but "The hardware was not installed because the wizard cannot find the necessary software."
I'm pretty sure this is where I gave up after I got my PE!
Where do I get the "software" for the edge?

Any ideas?

Thanks

Last edited by Last_of_the_PEs; 06-02-2011 at 02:12 AM.
Last_of_the_PEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 02:13 AM   #2
mr_ed
Connoisseur
mr_ed began at the beginning.

Device: been e-reading since Handspring's first PDA
Drivers? You might look at the device information on the PC to see whether it says drivers are installed and whether they'e the right ones ... and then have it look for newer ones. Just a shot in the dark.

-- Ed
mr_ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 03:44 AM   #3
javese
Zealot
javese will become famous soon enoughjavese will become famous soon enoughjavese will become famous soon enoughjavese will become famous soon enoughjavese will become famous soon enoughjavese will become famous soon enough

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge(Black)
Have you ever tried that on an other PC?
javese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:44 AM   #4
yugami
Connoisseur
yugami began at the beginning.

Device: PRS+950
did you click on the button that turns it on on the pe after connnecting?
yugami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:46 AM   #5
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
I find that it is easier to set up a Share folder on my PC and then transfer files wirelessly from the PC to the PE. Use ES File Explorer and in the upper left hand corner touch Local and a pull down menu will appear. Select LAN. Press Menu, Select New, and Scan. The PE will search for PCs within range. If your PC has a static IP address you can select server and enter the information manually and you won't have to scan every time you want to transfer files.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:48 AM   #6
Last_of_the_PEs
Groupie

The latest in the effort is that, despite the apparent install failure, I get one drive that works - with documents, download etc at the root, and the other drive remains "Insert disc in drive K:", so it's inaccessible -- no doubt the micro-sd.

I only have two computers and a server, and I get the same response on all three. No "box" pops up on the edge when I plug it into any of them. I have to drag down the bar at the top and enter the USB connection dialog manually.

On all three systems, I get the "new hardware" dialog, and all three see the device as "eDGe", but can't complete the install successfully.

I don't know of anything I've plugged into all three systems that would cause a spoof and keep the eDGe from being recognized, and I rarely plug anything into the server because USB as a technology is inherently flaky and I don't want to pollute that system.

Since one drive works, and the other doesn't, there must be some way of enabling the sd-card as sharable, possibly through Settings.

I found a good deal on a 32GB micro-SD, class 6 yesterday and ordered that and the Startech USB ethernet adapter, so I'd be nice to be able to load data to the SD from a connected PC and not an Android file manager which doesn't have drag and drop. So that's why I'm revisiting this problem.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:52 AM   #7
emusan
lol
emusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheese

Device: eDGe
If the SD Card you have inserted in there now is not formatted correctly Windows probably wont recognize it and may come up with that error...
emusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:20 PM   #8
yugami
Connoisseur

I've honestly always had 2 drives and only 1 work. I swapped the library onto the SD card and just ignore internal memory. The 1st drive shares /sdcard
Old 06-02-2011, 12:49 PM   #9
geckoFeet
Resident Reptile
geckoFeet knows what's going on.geckoFeet knows what's going on.geckoFeet knows what's going on.geckoFeet knows what's going on.geckoFeet knows what's going on.geckoFeet knows what's going on.geckoFeet knows what's going on.geckoFeet knows what's going on.geckoFeet knows what's going on.geckoFeet knows what's going on.geckoFeet knows what's going on.

Device: entourage edge
Maybe you have some drive letters reserved and don't know it? What do you get if you right-click on drive k:, under "information" (or something like that; I'm working from extremely unreliable memory)
geckoFeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:53 PM   #10
Last_of_the_PEs
Groupie

sdcard isn't the micro-sd -- that's extsdcard.

I've tried pulling the micro-sd and reading it with a USB card reader directly in a PC and that works, but I'm not excited about pulling the card often as I'm afraid the socket will wear out (as USB sockets are known to do).

When I get the USB Ethernet adapter, I hope it works and produces a 100Mbps connection, but even then, I've heard that the copy/paste function of Android file managers is flaky. When I copy something large to the edge now, I have to copy, paste, then go back and delete since there is no MOVE command, unless someone knows of a file manager WITH it. Also, even the copy/paste tends to lock up my edge on large files.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:48 PM   #11
Sjarrel
The Trying Dutchman
Sjarrel began at the beginning.

Device: enTourage eDGe
The native app "device storage" has a move-option. Works very well.
Sjarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 02:16 PM   #12
CheyenneDonna
Connoisseur
CheyenneDonna has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Entourage Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last_of_the_PEs View Post

I've tried pulling the micro-sd and reading it with a USB card reader directly in a PC and that works, but I'm not excited about pulling the card often as I'm afraid the socket will wear out (as USB sockets are known to do).

When I get the USB Ethernet adapter, I hope it works and produces a 100Mbps connection, but even then, I've heard that the copy/paste function of Android file managers is flaky. When I copy something large to the edge now, I have to copy, paste, then go back and delete since there is no MOVE command, unless someone knows of a file manager WITH it. Also, even the copy/paste tends to lock up my edge on large files.
The move function is built into the edge , place a check-mark in front of the file/files and you will see the move option at the bottom.
CheyenneDonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 02:45 PM   #13
yugami
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last_of_the_PEs View Post
SDCard is the sdcard if you move the library to your sdcard through the device storage screen under settings.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:11 PM   #14
North19
Enthusiast
North19 began at the beginning.

Device: entourage eDGe, pocket eDGe, kindle
Mine wouldn't work at first. It finally worked when I connected to the PC first, then to the PE (I think...), and then I finally got the USB notification coming up on the PE; before then, the PE did nothing when connected and didn't seem to know what was going on.
North19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 04:21 PM   #15
Last_of_the_PEs
Groupie

Thanks, yes I see that in Device Storage, the card is "SD card". When I use ES File Explorer, and go to the root, I see both "extsdcard" and "sdcard" (along with "system" and a number of others). So while the micro-sd is referred to as 'sdcard' in some places, in the file system it is extsdcard.

I thought I read somewhere that the internal memory is just an sdcard -- hope it doesn't pop loose! That would be bad.