Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-26-2011, 02:47 PM   #31
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarich View Post
But you get the ugliest e-reader available. Sorry but that solid white thick border around the whole device completely kills it for me. I liked it all except for that.
say what? the nook classic is one of the sleakest looking ereaders out there. It looks like Apple designed it. It's one sexy beast
the kindle on the other hand then that i would agree, those things are butt ugly with that keyboard etc.

but to each his own I guess
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 03:14 PM   #32
stickybuns
Evangelist
stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
I looked at the sony.. very neat, but expensive and not as dark as the kindle. If it's price was lower and it had better text darkness I might be sold on the 950. 350 is just too small for my tastes. The nook is just plain ugly.

On another note. I am returning my NC today for my 3rd replacement in two weeks. Each has a dead pixel. This one has 4. So if the next one has dead pixels the issue is an easy one.
The Sony has several options for screen contrast, so you may want to take a second look. The default contrast setting was lighter than the Kindle's, but they look just about identical on the darkest setting.

Regarding "ugly" e-readers: a skin will go a long way to remedy this problem. Yes, it felt silly to spend $15-20 on a glorified sticker, but I'm quite happy that I decided to gussy up my K3.
stickybuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 03:31 PM   #33
Zarich
Zealot
Zarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
Well.. my third nook color is the worst of the bunch. The entire bottom left corner has massive light bleed. Makes the black a greenish color. Turning the brightness down helps, but I guess I am gonna throw in the towel on this thing. 3 is enough.
Zarich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 03:44 PM   #34
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Well.. my third nook color is the worst of the bunch. The entire bottom left corner has massive light bleed. Makes the black a greenish color. Turning the brightness down helps, but I guess I am gonna throw in the towel on this thing. 3 is enough.
There are some folks who went through 5-6 Kindles before they got one without the screen fade when the K2 was released.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 05:43 PM   #35
Zarich
Zealot
Zarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheese

Whats sad is the one I just returned had 4 dead pixels, but they only showed up on dark scenes. This shows up everywhere.
Neither is acceptable.. now all are out of stock in my area.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:37 PM   #36
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I don't care for the borders around any of my ereaders (especially the white borders on my K2 and my original nook), so I solve that by adding a nice skin.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 10:13 PM   #37
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
the kindle on the other hand then that i would agree, those things are butt ugly with that keyboard etc.

really? i love the way the kindle looks! it's what got me to want to buy one in the first place
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 12:44 PM   #38
Belle2Be
Peace, Love, and Books
Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3(3g), NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
really? i love the way the kindle looks! it's what got me to want to buy one in the first place
Me too. But the comments make me think of the old " Your Mama" jokes.

"Your Nook is so ugly that not even Goldfish smile back"
Belle2Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 01:14 PM   #39
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle2Be View Post
Me too. But the comments make me think of the old " Your Mama" jokes.

"Your Nook is so ugly that not even Goldfish smile back"
hehehhe

I love the look of the K1. People think I am nuts.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 02:00 PM   #40
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
say what? the nook classic is one of the sleakest looking ereaders out there. It looks like Apple designed it. It's one sexy beast
I have to admit that I do like the look of the Nook (at least the front). I wouldn't say that it looks as nice as an Apple product or even the Sony (the design of the Sony is appealing to me) but I think it looks nice. If I get one, I certainly wouldn't mind looking at it.

Quote:

Ehh, I think the Kindle 3 looks ok. I've always disliked the Kindle keyboard but I don't think they're ugly or butt ugly. I think there are uglier e-Readers out there.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 02:03 PM   #41
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
hehehhe

I love the look of the K1. People think I am nuts.
I remember when I was in college, a professor brought the K1 to class. She was reading an essay that the rest of us were reading from a xeroxed copy. It was intriguing in a way (it looked like a tablet from Star Trek) but I also remember thinking how ugly it was. So it was pulling me in but also repulsing me at the same time. She loved it though! I wonder if she still has it or if she upgraded to the current Kindle. That was my first experience with an e-Reader btw.
Old 02-27-2011, 05:01 PM   #42
Zarich
Zealot

People who hate the keyboard don't seem to mind the pseudo keyboard of the nook. It has one, but it is virtual and clunkier to navigate with. The only plus I saw was the ability to see book covers..
Old 02-28-2011, 09:01 AM   #43
faithbw
Guru

Quote:
People who hate the keyboard don't seem to mind the pseudo keyboard of the nook. It has one, but it is virtual and clunkier to navigate with. The only plus I saw was the ability to see book covers..
Let me clarify. I don't like the physical keyboard. For some functions on an e-Reader, you will have to use a keyboard.

I use a virtual keyboard on my iPod Touch for certain things and I don't mind because 1) it is necessary 2) it doesn't take up physical space on my iPod.

To me, the Kindle's keyboard looks ugly. It may be easier to use than the Nook keyboard (I don't know since I've never had a chance to use a real version of the Kindle) but aesthetically speaking, I still think it's unappealing, more so than the LCD screen at the bottom of the Nook. That's just me and I realize that other people will disagree or don't care (I don't want this to turn into another Nook vs. Kindle debate).

Last edited by faithbw; 02-28-2011 at 09:05 AM.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:25 PM   #44
Grimm
DRM killer
Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ASUS Transformer Prime (Sold: Nook, Kindle 3, Nook Color, Nook STR)
I didn't use the keyboard enough on my Kindle 3 to really even justify having it on there. I'm much happier with my Nook Color and must be lucky, I've had none of the issues you guys have had.
Grimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 02:31 AM   #45
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

oh never mind it wasn't important.

Last edited by snipenekkid; 03-05-2011 at 02:33 AM.
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote